RV.Net Open Roads Forum: We went to Cape Disappointment State Park / Fort Canby WA.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> We went to Cape Disappointment State Park / Fort Canby WA.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
PJ Colahan

Port of Everett, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/08 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeff,
Thank you for the story and pictures. Your pictures make me home sick. I am origanally from Tillamook, Oregon. Our first long trip last August was to Tillamook. Stayed at Cap Lookout State Park for four days after winding up the coast the first half of the week. Beautiful. Was able to attend the Tillamook County Fair. First time my wife had every seen the Pig-N-Ford races. Small town excitement, but it brought back great memories and we enjoyed it.
We had talked about visiting the Cape Disappointment SP on our next trip. I have an old school buddy that lives along the gorge.
Thanks again for the story and pictures. Best of luck to you and yours.

DonCurley

La Sal, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/08 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeff,

Thanks for the photos and write-up, and other than the battery problem at the beginning, it looks like you had a great trip. My wife and I have been to all of those places several times, and we enjoyed seeing them again by way of your post. One of my wife's uncles (since passed away), was once commander of the USCG Station Cape Disappointment motor lifeboat squadron (patrolling the Columbia River Bar). We used to visit him often where he retired to in Astoria, which gave us the opportunity to explore the area (and we are also lighthouse buffs, and the area is obviously great for that).

By the way, Cape Disappointment got its name in 1788. While in search of the entrance of the Columbia River, English Captain John Meares missed the passage over the river bar and named the nearby headland "Cape Disappointment" for his failure in finding the river. In 1792, American Captain Robert Gray successfully crossed the river bar and named the river "Columbia" after his ship. The Lewis and Clark Expedition subsequently arrived at Cape Disappointment in 1805.

Don

-'07 Dodge 3500/QC/SB/SRW/4x4/6.7L CTD/6-spd auto/35" Toyo MT's/Ride-Rite air bags/RS9000XL shocks
-'07 Apex 8 fully optioned w/220W solar/2 T-145's/2KW Prosine/Honda EU2000i/Tundra fridge/AC/etc
-'00 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4x4, highly modified w/5.9L Magnum V8

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/08 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PJ Colahan wrote:

Was able to attend the Tillamook County Fair. First time my wife had every seen the Pig-N-Ford races. Small town excitement, but it brought back great memories and we enjoyed it.

Been to those several times, and the demolition derby afterwards. For of those several years, the pigs were from my in-laws' farm over here in the valley.

I've camped at Cape Disappointment many times before and it's a lot of fun. Just a one minute walk from the camp spots to the beach.

realter

NW

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/08 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That area is so pretty. Don't you wonder what happened on the life boat.

petekerwien

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/08 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the report. We haven't been there in a while and it just might be time for another trip. Looks like you hit the weather just right!

BobTowne

Fairfield, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/08 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great that everything turned out okay. We would second your recommendation of this place as a nice destination. Fine pics, too. Thanks for sharing.

GreatWhite
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quadcab Dually
2004 Alpenlite Santa Fe 1150

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> We went to Cape Disappointment State Park / Fort Canby WA.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.