RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone have a Parallax convertor in their HTT ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Anyone have a Parallax convertor in their HTT ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/08 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't go too big with WFCO. If the rating is too high it could have a harder time with the automatic shift to boost/bulk mode. With one or two batteries I suggest 45 is plenty. Another great option IMO is the Xantrex 40 or 60 amp converter.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Chuck_S

Chesterfield VA -- that's south of Richmond y'all

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/08 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The converter rating is the maximum amount of DC amps the converter will output, nothing more. The automatic battery charge operation hasn't anything to do with that.

The charger will be running in the 10 amp range after just a few minutes. The difference between the battery and charger voltage determine the amp flow and the battery voltage builds fast on the plate surfaces.

The WFCO converter (the converter module) runs about $160 and in, indeed, a more economical solution.

-- Chuck

'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

pocman

Newfoundland

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/08 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is my story with the Parallax converter.

Got my new trailer around the middle of April. Had it in the driveway for a couple of weeks, plugged into the house. Went out in the camper one day and noticed that the lights were not working. Only thing working was the microwave. Checked the 30amp fuses, both blown. Replaced both fuses, and nothing.

I have the 7100 series Parallax converter. Anyway, dealer sent me another one, put that in. Everything worked. That was on a Friday, went camping Saturday night, everything working fine. Sunday morning, the 30amp fuses blown again. Replaced them, nothing.

A buddy of mine took my battery off and charged it off his camper, hooked it back onto mine and things started working again. Now its not charging my battery.

I'm confused. My dealer is not across the street from me and is some fooling around to get parts from him.

I don't want another one of these converters in my camper. What options do I have?

4HPYCMPRS

Niagara Falls, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/08 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pocman wrote:

Here is my story with the Parallax converter.

Got my new trailer around the middle of April. Had it in the driveway for a couple of weeks, plugged into the house. Went out in the camper one day and noticed that the lights were not working. Only thing working was the microwave. Checked the 30amp fuses, both blown. Replaced both fuses, and nothing.

I have the 7100 series Parallax converter. Anyway, dealer sent me another one, put that in. Everything worked. That was on a Friday, went camping Saturday night, everything working fine. Sunday morning, the 30amp fuses blown again. Replaced them, nothing.

A buddy of mine took my battery off and charged it off his camper, hooked it back onto mine and things started working again. Now its not charging my battery.

I'm confused. My dealer is not across the street from me and is some fooling around to get parts from him.

I don't want another one of these converters in my camper. What options do I have?

If you don't want another Parallax then tell them. I'd ask to send you a different make of convertor! Hopefully the physical characteristics will ensure a proper fit. I think I stated in my OP that the technician who came to the CG, said the circuit board was an "up-dated" and "improved" part from Parallax. See if you can find out if you indeed got the "new" part! Good luck. Keep us posted.

Mark

'08 Chevy Avalanche LT3 6.0L (366hp) 4.10's
'12 Rockwood Signature 8312SS. Equalizer/P3
'06 Honda EU3000iS TomTom ONE 130-S GPS.
Me "> ('71), DW "> ('70), DD ">('01), DD "> ('04).
A wiseman once said "GIT-R-DONE" ">
'13 nights camped- 55

CAMPING PICS & MODS

Mousefart

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/08 05:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My trailer had a WFCO from the factory (piece of junk). It blew.

Went through a string of warranty replacements, some WFCO, some Parallax. (BOTH are piece of junk !!)

Finally bought a Progressive Dynamics converter with my OWN money and have finally stopped have to change converters on a monthly basis.

* This post was edited 05/27/08 09:26pm by an administrator/moderator *

Chuck_S

Chesterfield VA -- that's south of Richmond y'all

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/08 05:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since this is still a warranty item keep working on it from this angle.

What most folks call "the converter" is actually the power distribution center. Handles both AC and DC current. The actual converter is an electronic module that either fits inside, or is a separate box. The linked 55 amp WFCO mainboard should contain all the circuitry you need, but may not fit in your distribution box.

Our 55 amp WFCO "converter" uses forty (40) not thirty (30) amp fuses for battery protection. But these will still blow instantly if the battery is connected backwards. 12v DC trailer wiring uses White for ground and Black for positive.

You can see the converter inside our WFCO power center when I pull the cover:

[image]

[image]

As I noted a couple of days ago a complete WFCO 55 amp unit will run ya about $250 and just the converter abou $170.

-- Chuck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Anyone have a Parallax convertor in their HTT ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.