|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC bound for Alaska

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Flyfisher86

Catskill Mtns.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/08 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Day 5 on the road was a day to rest and relax to appease my 3 new adopted moms who were complaining I was spending too much time behind the wheel each day. I have a tendency not to think about time when I’m driving so my days might be 12 to 14 Hrs long.

Day 6 I awoke to a brisk temperature of 28 but clear. I packed up my camper and left my friends from Maine who were still sleeping, dreaming of the past days experiences. I drove up Rt. 191 to I90 onto RT 287 and picked up I15 by Helena Mt. The ride on I15 is breath taking in some areas as you ride along in a canyon with the mighty Missouri River flowing along side.

[image]

[image]

I arrived at the border crossing in Sweet Grass Mt at 1:10 PM and much to my surprise it was backed up about 1/2 mile. I arrived at the gate and was asked the usual questions and then the guard stated for me to pull off to the side. I was one of the lucky randomly selected people to be searched. After going to immigration and having my entry approved I was directed to drive my vehicle into the inspection building were I was greeted by six uniformed inspectors wearing flack jackets. The officers are very polite and explain exactly what they are going to do along with gathering some personal information. I was directed to a waiting room while the officers removed and looked thru the entire contents of my truck and camper. The officers even put everything back into the vehicle the way it was. I was very impressed with these officers as they only doing their job as the effects of 9/11. I finally was back on the road 3 hours later, of which the immigration check and search only took about an hour.

[image]

I continued my ride up route 4 and then on to route3 reaching my stopping point for the night at Fort Macleod Alberta.

* This post was edited 06/24/08 09:39pm by Flyfisher86 *

2015 Ram 3500 CC Cab&chassis Eby Flatbed 6.7CTD 6Spd Auto
2009 Northern Lite 10-2CDSE 200w of solar and one spoiled camper dog Splash

foldowncandy

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/08 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Tree wrote:

I may be a tad too late for you to consider the following suggestions; I did them with the rig you see below on our 6 week trip to the Yukon and Alaska in 1986, but here goes:

1. Have a complete set of truck, camper and home keys made, out of aluminum if possible to avoid rust. Put them on a split ring and hide the keys inside of a non-lockable exterior hatch for use if you lose your keys in the boonies. I keep mine pinned to the refridgerator's AC cord where it plugs in high above where you look in to check things.

2. Make sure your factory truck jack can lift one rear wheel of your fully loaded truck and camper. Mine would not. Get a hydraulic bottle jack that will do the job and make certain that it will fit under the rear axle WITH THE TIRE FLAT. If it is too high you'll have to dig a hole (hard to do on asphalt/concrete) or drive up on some firewood (mighty hard on a flat tire).

3. Unless you have a skid plate to protect gas tanks, get a piece of 1/2" plywood and mount it under your truck for protection from rocks. I mounted mine with bolts up front in two existing holes in the frame right at the back edge of the transmission and to the ends of the anti-sway bars in the back. In Montana on the way home when I knew I'd not be on any more gravel roads I removed it and it was torn to pieces -- as my diesel tanks probably would have been without it.

4. Don't leave home without the fantastic book "The Mile Post" which covers all of the Canadian and Alaska roads you'll be on. It also has many coupons for food, fuel, and attraction discounts.

Have a greaat trip. You'll never forget it. Be sure to read some of Robert Service's poems when you visit Dawson, YK. "The Spell Of The Yukon" is his best.

See you soon on the American Road !

Hi - have you been there since 1986? Someone, please tell me the roads have improved in over 20 years............!

jjohnson1179

Girdletree, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/08 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flyfisher86 wrote:

Day 5 on the road was a day to rest and relax to appease my 3 new adopted moms who were complaining I was spending too much time behind the wheel each day. I have a tendency not to think about time when I’m driving so my days might be 12 to 14 Hrs long.

Day 6 I awoke to a brisk temperature of 28 but clear. I packed up my camper and left my friends from Maine who were still sleeping, dreaming of the past days experiences. I drove up Rt. 191 to I90 onto RT 287 and picked up I15 by Helena Mt. The ride on I15 is breath taking in some areas as you ride along in a canyon with the mighty Missouri River flowing along side.
[image]
[image]

I arrived at the border crossing in Sweet Grass Mt at 1:10 PM and much to my surprise it was backed up about 1/2 mile. I arrived at the gate and was asked the usual questions and then the guard stated for me to pull off to the side. I was one of the lucky randomly selected people to be searched. After going to immigration and having my entry approved I was directed to drive my vehicle into the inspection building were I was greeted by six uniformed inspectors wearing flack jackets. The officers are very polite and explain exactly what they are going to do along with gathering some personal information. I was directed to a waiting room while the officers removed and looked thru the entire contents of my truck and camper. The officers even put everything back into the vehicle the way it was. I was very impressed with these officers as they only doing their job as the effects of 9/11. I finally was back on the road 3 hours later, of which the immigration check and search only took about an hour.

[image]

I continued my ride up route 4 and then on to route3 reaching my stopping point for the night at Fort Macleod Alberta.

Sorry about the pics have to figure out what I did wrong to cause the blur

That sounds like a awsome time keep on posting Boy would I love to do that. It looks like you tryed to strech your pics to big use the original size that you took

JIMMY JOHNSON
93 Ford F-250 V8 5.8
Sold my tc and got a TT
1987 LANCE 980 11.3

TRUCK CAMPER MAGAZINE

FEET IN THE SAND COLD BEER IN MY HAND

spkncarl

That Way

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/08 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flyfisher86 wrote:

[image]

[image]

[image]

Sorry about the pics have to figure out what I did wrong to cause the blur

Keep sharing...[emoticon]

JerBear

Kingston,Nova Scotia,Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/08 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Dave..............slow down and enjoy the journey. There is lots to see on the way to Alaska so try and take it all in. Hope my fellow Canadians treat ya right on the way thru Canada!! Have a safe and fun trip and keep on posting ! Oh....almost forgot .....GOOD FISHING!!
Paula & Jerry

2007 CITATION Supreme 10'8" Truck Camper,Torklift Fastguns, Torklift Tiedowns,Torklift Superhitch,Reese Front Hitch, Honda EU2000i Generator, 2x100 Watt Solar Panel /MPPT Controller, 2500 Watt Inverter.
2006 GMC 3500HD DRW Ex. Cab Truck, Duramax/Allison

petekerwien

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/08 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave consider yourself our scout. We are a year behind you and following your every step. I suppose the bordor guards were looking for weapons. Truck campers have a reputation for fishing and hunting. Take care and watch out for frost heaves as you get further north.

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/08 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave - we missed you at supper tonight - Grand Teton beer, steak, baked potato and salad. If you had been here we would have gotten you to make brownies.

Glad to hear you are across the border and still headed north. Post when you can, take good notes and bring back lots of brochures. Remember Elizabeth and Dick will have a "show and tell" table at the fall rally. Hope you make it back in time for that.

Anne and Joe

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/08 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlyFisher:

Keep the post coming! I'd like to ost it on the Travel Reports section. 1stly, could you re-size your images to around 640 x 480 pixels (much larger than the ones you posted)?

Your current photos are only 160 x 107 (2.22 x 1.48 inches) thumbnails.

If you are having trouble doing this, PM me, and I'll resize a few for you, with instructions.

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/08 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlyFisher:

Keep the post coming! I'd like to post it on the Travel Reports section. 1stly, could you re-size your images to around 640 x 480 pixels (much larger than the ones you posted)?

Your current photos are only 160 x 107 pixel (2.22 x 1.48 inches) thumbnails.

If you are having trouble doing this, PM me, and I'll resize a few for you, with instructions.

Cheers,
Silver-

thebigtiny

Juneau Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/08 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello flyfishr

I live and play in Alaska

here are some links to my on line album from my last Alaska Adventure.
I offer them up for ideas

any Questions please feel free to contact me. I highly suggest Dawson city and the top of the world highway as well as Prudhoe Bay.

Deadhorse trip 2

dead horse trip 1

Have a great trip and welcome to Alaska

Chris

1999 Dodge CTD 4X4 QCLB, 2013 Ram CTD 4X4 CCSB, 2005 Nash 23ft. Fiver, 1999 Wildwood f30 toy hauler. 2001 Forest river Toy hauler 26ft,2015 Chrysler 200S(DW rig), 2005 Harley Road Glide, 2000 Electra glide STD. 4 Polaris 4 wheelers. 2 great granddaughters

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC bound for Alaska
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.