|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dual Batteries

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/08 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awhile back I replaced the single battery and tray in my truck with 2 Optima red-top gell-cell batteries, both together in the stock single battery location. I made a tray to fit both batteries from angle steel and made a hold-down strap from flat steel. I never got around to taking pics of the install untill recently.

Both batteries are wired together in parallel with no isolater so they act as one battery, giving double the reserve minutes and cranking amps. I also replaced all clamps and cables with new, heavier gauge cables.

The webbing strap tie-down isnt really needed, but since I was using it for awhile before I got around to making the hold down bracket, I just kept the strap on there too for gp's.

Here are the pics --

[image]

[image]

01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/08 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can see why you would want to make this modification. Some of our newer readers may not understand the advantage. Perhaps you could explain the advantage.

Wayne

D&SBarnes

San Antonio, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/08 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winch & offroading?

Dave & Sue,
DINKS and dedicated to having fun as much as possible.

05 GMC LT crewcab dually
07 Northern Lite 10.2 CD SE, highly optioned version...
A lot comes on a SE.

tri5ron

Orange County Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/08 11:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not to hijack the thread, but just to add to it,...
I found that on my battery box, I was able to take out the original single "wet cell", and replace it with TWO Optima blue tops, turned up on their sides. (just barely fit). By doing it this way, I did not have to do/make any special brackets - holders - drilling - mounting - etc.

simply added the second battery into the same box, and two battery cables. EASY! and I gained 50% more battery capacity too.

After I did that, I decided that if two was better than one,.... then three would be better than two,....
So I added another, (Third battery), under the hood, did a isolator solenoid, and wired it back to the camper batteries.
Now I have 2 1/2 times the original battery capacity in the camper, and am still isolated from the truck battery.

Note for the newbies, It is HIGHLY advised that you should always use the same type,(size/group) AND age batteries, when doing a multiple battery mod/install.

I'll try to get some pic's of my install up here tomorrow.

tri5ron

Orange County Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/08 11:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a little more food for thought for the new members....

If your Camper spends much time hooked up to shore power,(at home or at camp), (mine stays plugged in most of the time),...

It is also a good idea to consider getting rid of the **Magna-junk**, or **Insert name here-JUNK** single stage converter, that comes as original equipment from the manufacturers, and replacing it with a much better 3 stage converter, such as a WFCO, or a PD brand.

This will help your new, $300ish dollars in batteries, last ALOT longer.
(But That is for another thread), and is already covered in many other threads.

Happy Trails...and welcome to the disease, (it's called A.A.D.S.- Accesory Aquisition Disorder Syndrome)
Ron

Matthew_B

The boonies near Dallas, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/08 12:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're going to upgrade converters, get the XADC from Xantrex.

It charges the fastest of the three and is just as gentle for the batteries.

I agree on the upgrade though. No way was I going to put $200 more batteries in the camper and not upgrade the magnajunk I had.

narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/08 07:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have question, and that is why did you go with two Optimas which give you 110amps instead of one size 34 which gives you 110 amps?

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/08 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont have a winch, but I would like to put some off road lights and some work lights on the truck in the future. I also like to use the stereo with the truck turned off, so the dual batteries help with that.

Basicaly I did it for longer reserve minutes, more amp-hours of non-charging 12v use time and increased cranking power. I also happened to have the extra Optima around so figured I may as well put it to use. [emoticon]

When I get another camper, I can use the dual batts in the truck to power the camper, if it doesn't have it's own battery bank built in. My last camper had it's own battery, but the truck batteries were helpful when that one started going low.

After I put the extra Optima in, I was using the truck batteries to start the large gasoline air compressor I keep on the utility body, which worked good. I have since wired the air compressor starter to use the battery in the welding machine, since they're both right there next to eachother.

If I find I need them to be two seperate power sources, I can always put the isolator in the system to keep them both from draining at the same time. I originally had the isolator in there, but took it out to use them as one battery source.

Steve_in_29

29 Palms (SEMPER FI), CA 92277

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/08 11:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job on a useful addition.

2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/08 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

narcodog wrote:

I have question, and that is why did you go with two Optimas which give you 110amps instead of one size 34 which gives you 110 amps?

Wow, I didn't notice your question eariler this month, sorry.

I used 2 Optimas because I already had 2 of them and one of them was already in the truck, so the upgrade to dual Optimas cost me... zero dollars [emoticon] , since the steel I used to make the new tray and hold-down was just some scrap angle and flat stock I had laying around the shop from other projects or jobs.

I suppose if I didn't already have the two batteries available, I may have considered a single, larger battery, however, I really love Optima batteries, they have proven to be very tough batteries for hard use. I had one Optima lived through an electrical fire in my Bronco that burnt the entire wiring harness to a crisp and almost burnt the the truck down. That battery went on to live for 5 more years starting the 454 in my old dually, some of that time was summers in Phoenix too. It had already been in 2 trucks before it went through the fire. It finally died for good when I let it sit for about one year without charging it when I didn't have an extra vehicle to use it in. If I would have kept it charged, it may have lived a couple more years in daily use. I am very impressed with Optima batteries! [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dual Batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS