|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Stockton Wheels upgrade - pics

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/08 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awhile back, I upgraded my truck's rear tires and wheels because with the utility body and welding equipment on the truck, the tires and wheels I had on there were overloaded and unsafe. No, I did not go driving around daily with my overloaded tires. I parked the truck untill I got the new wheels and tires on it [emoticon].

The wheels are custom made Stockton Wheel heavy duty steel wheels in 16x8 size with stock Ford backspacing, 8 on 6.5" bolt circle using 9/16" tapered lug nuts. They are rated at a minimum 4000 lbs @ 100 psi, per my requirements when I ordered them. They are powder coated in a color to match the unpolished aluminum wheels I have on the front of the truck. They cost about $600 for the rear two, including valve stems, lug nuts, powdercoating and shipping, if I remember right (it's been awhile).

I was not able to find 4000-lb 80+psi rated 16" wheels in an 8" width, so I had Stockton custom make them for me. It took maybe a month I think from the time I ordered them to the time I recieved them, as I remember it. I am very happy with the wheels, they look nice, the weld quality is top-notch, and there were no problems balancing them. I would recommend Stockton Wheel in California to anyone looking for a high quality custom made wheel.

The tires were the main thing that needed upgrading. My previous 33x12.50-16.5-D BFG AT KO's had a max weight rating of 2850 lbs @ 50psi and were overloaded with an approx 6500-lb rear axle weight with the utility body on the truck and would have been much more overloaded with the trailer hooked up. Even at max pressure and no trailer, they were bulged out as if they were aired down to 30 lbs. Not safe at all to drive on.

I upgraded to BFG AT KO 285/75-16-E tires with a 3750 lbs @ 80psi weight rating. These tires are very close in diameter to the 33's on the front axle and only about an inch skinnier. They are recommended to go on an 8" wheel and they do fit perfectly on that wheel width. The truck's handling is much improved even from when before the 33's were overloaded, with the camper on the truck. They ride smooth, quiet, and have the same good traction and road manners as all the BFG AT's are known for.

I am very happy with the tires. They were about $300 for the rear two including mounting/balancing, if I remember right. I ordered them from Costco, but will never order tires from Costco again. The price was similar to Discound, Evans, and most other places, but it was a real hassle dealing with Costco on this. When it comes time to replace them, I will get them from a local tire shop instead. For most things, Costco does real good but they lost it on this one.

The front axle still has the 33x12.50's and American Outlaw II alloys on it, as I did not see the point in spending another $900+ to upgrade the front end when the tires and wheels on that axle are only at 60% capacity and I am happy with them as-is. Some day, if I have an extra G to spend, I may change them out to match the rear, but for now they are doing fine.

Here are the pics --

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

3750 lbs @ 80psi, single-

[image]

The Outlaw II's (all dirty, I know...) with 33x12.50-16.5's still on the frontend-

[image]

Mounted on the truck. The finish on the new wheels makes them look the same as the alloys from a distance, even though they are steel-

[image]

01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

bigjimcruising

Orange County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/08 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job! Glad to see someone take weight limits seriously! It will be interesting to see how the rear tires wear compared to the front tires since they are different types. Keep us updated if you will. By the way, did you check the overall diameter of all the tires? You might want to make sure they are the same before using your 4x4. Happy motoring!

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, 5.9 engine with winch and service body. Getting it ready for a new camper and then hit the trails!

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/08 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the compliment and concern about the tire size difference. [emoticon]

The two tire sizes are very close in diameter and rev/mile. According to BFG, the 33's are 32.6" and 638 rev/mile and the 285's are 33" and 630 rev/mile, although the actual loaded radii are variable by actual tread depth, air pressure and loaded weight for each tire.

So far, there hasn't been a problem using the 4wd, though I rarely use it these days and only in very low traction situations where I've already spun the tires in 2wd. Most times, 2wd works very well, mostly due to the locking differential, good treads on the tires and the weight I usually have on the truck.

Since the truck is primarily a work truck now, it seems I use the transfer case mostly just for the low ratio gearing, with the front hubs un-locked, for manuevering the trailer in the sloped yard than for actually driving the front wheels. When I return the truck to recreational use again in the future, using the 4wd more for fun, I may want an exact match on the tire size to avoid a problem of maybe forgetting to unlock the hubs or shift out of 4wd when the truck is not on very soft, loose ground.

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/08 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice report SoCal. I'll certainly keep Stockton Wheel's name for future reference.

bigjimcruising

Orange County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/08 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yahoo! I'm finally able to get back on this forum!

Looks like you have this all worked out just right. I wouldn't worry about such a small difference in tire sizes unless I was going to be driving a lot on streets in 4x4. No reason to do that. Softer surface will work out fine. Looks like a nice setup! Keep us posted on how the tires work out and compare to each other.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/08 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks! I will let you know about the tire wear. Although, it won't be a fair comparison, as the fronts have been on the truck awhile and the rears are brand new. The fronts are still in good shape, wearing nice and flat, though the treads are noticeably thinner than the new ones.

joe_jeep

hazel park, mi

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/08 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stockton does great work. they are huge in the 4x4 community now. custom beadlocks, widening, straightening, you name it they can do it. they got big by taking 6 and 7 in factory wheels rally wheels and making them 8 or 10 or 12 inches wide. at that time very few companys did this.

2002 f250 sd shortbed supercab 4x4 lariat v10 3.73
2009 jayco jayflight g2 32rls
2005 jeep wrangler rubicon unlimited sahara
jeep cj, d60's, coilovers, 42's, lots-o-tube

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Stockton Wheels upgrade - pics
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS