Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Problems with Montana RV

Posted By: meldelton on 06/26/08 07:42am

This article is for your information. It has been sent to Keystone and Suncoast.

How Our Montana RV Spoiled Our Trip to Newfoundland

By Dale H. Melton

When we set out on May 12, 2008, from our home in Sarasota, Florida, for the island of Newfoundland, little did we know what awaited us while travelling in our 2006 Montana fifth-wheel trailer. We had had earlier problems with the rig, but the challenges, inconveniences, and anxieties we experienced on the road were beyond belief!
Before leaving Florida, 170 miles from home, our tires began to shred. Determined to continue our trek, we purchased a new set of tires in Alachua, Florida, and stayed in an RV park there for the night.
Upon reaching Charlottesville, Virginia, our refrigerator stopped working. Certain that we could get a quick repair, we called mobile Marxway RV Service when we arrived in Salisbury, Massachusetts. After examining it, the service representative informed us that we would need to take it to a Dometic dealer for warranty repair or replacement and that we owed a trip charge. A call to Shannon at Dometic assured us that the appliance was still covered by the warranty as well as being on a recall list.
Another problem was our faux fireplace which broke from its brackets and slid back into its compartment. We repaired it by shoring up the side mountings with metal strips and long screws. Just another blip in a long list of woes!
Arriving in Windham, Maine, the home of our friends Rick and Nancy Goslin, we promptly left the RV with Scott Gardner, Service Writer, at Lee’s Family Trailer Sales and Service for several days of testing and documentation with Tommy at Dometic. Nevertheless, Lee’s service department employee, Randy, informed us that their staff would not be able to schedule the repair in a timely manner for us to resume our trip, and we owed for an hour of work.
Still determined to reach the Maritime Provinces, we compensated for a nonworking refrigerator by purchasing two Coleman electric coolers at Wal Mart, believing they were better than the ice-filled cooler of past camping trips in a poptop camper. Also, our traveling companions, Judy and Direlle Baird, generously shared their ice with us.
Shortly thereafter, while in Moncton, New Brunswick, the fan in our Atwood gas furnace began emitting high-pitched and scraping noises each time it was run. Thankfully, it continued to work even though noisily. Added to our other woes, the furnace was just an added stressor.
Assured that nothing else could possibly happen, we rolled through Nova Scotia, riding the Ferry to Newfoundland, and registering at Gros Morne RV Park in Rocky Harbor, Newfoundland. Within two days, while attempting to warm our dinner of black beans in our Apollo microwave/convection oven, we discovered that it, too, had stopped working. Could anything else happen?
Yes, it could! As we walked around checking the RV while waiting in line for the return trip by Ferry at Channel-Port aux Basques, I discovered that the wiring for the large slide had broken loose from its anchor so that it hung down well below the side moulding. Only because I had a bungie to secure it, did it stay well out of sight. What could have happened if it had caught on something and broken. This must be the last straw for a harried rver!
After experiencing all these problems on our trip, we began reviewing the history of our Montana since purchasing it at Suncoast RV in Pinellas Park, Florida. Most of the shanks on the compartment locks had had to be replaced because they were too short, causing the storage doors to open without notice. The dealer replaced two day/night shades and we reanchored or restrung three others (One still needs restringing). A leaking toilet was repaired by the dealer who gave us an extra seal “in case we had further problems”. Shortly, we had to install it in order to keep water in the bowl. The dining room slide has continually black-spotted the mint-green carpet, requiring its regular cleaning. Other problems include a couch cushion that tore at its seam, a defective converter the dealer replaced, and a circuit breaker that often trips when the rv is plugged into 50 amp power.
We want to keep this unit, our third Montana fifth wheel trailer, believing it to be structurally sound, with an excellent floorplan and beautifully decorated, but we now wonder whether we are making a wise decision. What should we do now, and what is still ahead? Is someone trying to tell us something? Is this what rving is all about? Could Montana’s owners, Suncoast RV, Dometic, Atwood and Apollo fix these problems and, thus, make it right again?
Incidentally, didn’t we hear that Thor Industries, Inc. bought the Keystone RV Company , Montana’s parent company? Could this unit have been built during the transition?

Posted By: mwebber78 on 06/26/08 07:57am

Sadly, the RV companies have little to no QC over vendor's and their products. This even happens in the Aerospace business, we are constantly pounding the vendor's to improve quality and we take frequent trips to oversee and improve their products.

While reading your letter I feel sincerely bad for you but I come away thinking that Dometic and Atwood share the brunt of the criticism for their products they supplied to Keystone. While you did have some issues with the build (shanks, wire guide and day/night shades) it sounds like the trip would have gone smoothly without the appliance issues.

Good luck and happy trails - I have a Sunnybrook with Dometic products and I feel that my previous trailer equipped with Norcold fridge/Carrier AC/Thetford toilet/Carefree awning were of better quality then the Dometic equivalent.

Of course that is my OWN opinion through ownership of the above brands.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

Posted By: Polishnurse on 06/26/08 08:04am

So far the only problem I heard mention were was the slide wiring, all your other problems seem to be product manufacture problems related to others. Yes they were installed in Montana and the warranty is extended by Dealer and the Manufacturer of the RV. As you mentioned the RV is sound. Know I didn't help much Good Luck Bill

Posted By: cummins2014 on 06/26/08 08:15am

Sorry to hear about your problems they can be no fun. I am on my second Montana 5ver,and have not experienced any of the problems you are having. I would suggest getting on the Montana owners forum and asking for advice. From everything I have read Montana Keystone will make it right.

Posted By: jlnix on 06/26/08 08:27am

Does the appliance maker being at fault, rather than the camper manufacturer, somehow make his experience any better?

1992 Avion 35.5 5th Wheel
2006 F-350 King Ranch
6 liter PSD Torqshift Tow Command

Posted By: MBOK on 06/26/08 09:51am

It's all part of the RVing experince.

'06 Truck LWB DRW - '07 37' 5th Wheel

Posted By: Vulcaneer on 06/26/08 10:36am

Dale, Certainly a disappointing experience. And I feel for you. And you sound like a reasonable guy.

You certainly documented your situation in infinite detail. But my question is, what is your point of your letter? Appears you merely want to have your problems documented. You are not asking for any warranty help from the manufacturer. And are only asking for response to your questions. Below in BOLD is the response you might expect.

We want to keep this unit, our third Montana fifth wheel trailer, believing it to be structurally sound, with an excellent floorplan and beautifully decorated, but we now wonder whether we are making a wise decision. Yes you have made a wise decision. What should we do now, Your trailer is out of warranty. You need to get it fixed. A good dealer will make good repairs for a reasonable price. Maybe some appliance component manufacturers have extended warantys beyond the trailers one year waranty. and what is still ahead? Hopefully you will have nothing but years of trouble free enjoyment. But anything can happen.Is someone trying to tell us something? We manufacture trailers, using leading name brand components and appliances. As such, we have no idea what anyone is telling you, or may be telling you in the future.Is this what rving is all about? Yeah, pretty much. But most people have better luck. Could Montana’s owners, Suncoast RV, Dometic, Atwood and Apollo fix these problems and, thus, make it right again?Any of these suggestions could fix your issues. Each may have a different hourly rate. And some may cover the component under their waranty. But we would not recommend contracting with other Montana owners, unless they are recommended authorized Montana service providers.
Incidentally, didn’t we hear that Thor Industries, Inc. bought the Keystone RV Company , Montana’s parent company? Could this unit have been built during the transition? You have not told us when in 2006 your trailer was built. So we have no way of telling if this trailer could have been built during the transition period. But the guys that built your trailer, and did the quality control checks, probably had little to do with Thor purchasing Keystone.

Thank you for informing us of your experience. And allowing us to answer all your questions.

Have a nice day.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Posted By: Senor Fuego on 06/26/08 10:45am

I've got an 07 Montana 3400RL. Here's my perspective:

1-Tires: Did you check with Montana before replacing? I had one tire split in the tread area. I called the tire company that Montana has handle tire issues. Turned out my tires had been identified as a bad batch. I was shipped 5 new tires at no cost. I paid $40 to have them mounted.

2-Dometic Refer: Dometic has been building these things for a long time. You'd think they would be able to build a better product. I had issues with the Dometic refer in my motor home. I t was out on us for a week when we were full timing. This is a Dometic issue, not Montana.

3-Apollo Microwave: These are cheap low bid units. First trip out in our Montana the glass turntable bounced up and shattered the glass in the microwave's door. When I talked to Apollo about the problem they said I should've known to take to turntable out before hauling. We drove 50,000 miles in a motor home and never once did the turntable in our GE microwave break the door glass. Shame on Montana for using such a cheap product. I would like to find a good quality microwave, with the same dimensions as the Apollo, so that it would fit in the cabinet. If any one knows of one please let me know.

4-Furnace Fan: What was causing the problem, a bearing or was it rubbing? Probably a pretty easy fix for someone with a little mechanical inclination. I had the same issue with a heat pump fan. It was a 15 minute job to adjust the fan. Once again not a Montana issue.

5-Slide Wiring Bundle: This bundle is held in place by a flexible plastic strap. Heat and use will cause it to break. I had the same thing happen on one of the slides on my Montana. It's an easy fix. It probably took you less than a minute to remedy the problem once you found a bungie cord. You say that this could've been a big issue if the wire bundle had got caught on something when you were driving. I scratched my head and thought where are you driving? Are you hauling this trailer off road? It's a big stretch to think that wires hanging down 6 inches are going to catch on something on a paved road.

It looks like a serious problem with the refer and tires. Then some other minor annoyances. All in all not much of a disaster. I've had much worse weeks in our new $200,000 motor home. That's why I switched to a 5th wheel. Its been a lot fewer headaches.

Posted By: mwebber78 on 06/26/08 11:58am

jlnix wrote:

Does the appliance maker being at fault, rather than the camper manufacturer, somehow make his experience any better?

No - it certianly doesn't. But it offers some reasoning to keep a otherwise good coach and a reason to NOT avoid a Thor/Keystone product in the future.

Posted By: WTTCS on 06/26/08 12:19pm

LOL funny post. You say PROBLEMS WITH KEYSTONE. I am still waiting to hear of any problems with your keystone.

Seems all your problems is from the applicance makers. Since when does Keystone warranty applicances?

Why you even make this post is beyond me. If you dont like the rv stuff you have, BLAME, BLAME , BLAME, lay the fault where it lies. NOT ON THE MFGR OF THE FIVER.

All your post does is reinforce the fact that Keystone makes one of the best rvs on the road today. Cant say so much for the applicances. As far as Dometic goes, you expect overnight service 1000s of miles from home? Wake up and smell the roses.

1997 chev crew cab 454, 5 sp. 4.10

Posted By: richfaa on 06/26/08 01:16pm

I Have had many of those same problems with our 06 3400 Montana although not all at the same time on the same trip. Go to www. Montanaowwners.com and you will note that many have had similar problems..Many of those problems are also common throughout the rv industry. Quality is NOT job 1 in the RV industry. Although many of your problems were with vendor provided items they are in a Keystone product therefore Keystone is responsible. If you think about it Everything in a RV is vendor provided. What does Keystone or any other manufacturer do but assemble a RV out of vendor provided materials. Thor is the parent company for several RV companies and has owned Keystone for a long time.

Unfortunately what you are experiencing is fairly common with most any RV. I think you would get some really good help and advise over on the www.montanaowners.com site.

2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Posted By: Gruffy on 06/26/08 02:08pm

I feel for you Meldelton. When folks like WTTCS tell you problems like your fireplace braking free and the wiring falling loose are the problem or the appliance makers??? well, you gotta wonder. If you buy a Ford you don't go to International for engine warranty and Panasonic for radio warranty, you expect the manufacturer to step up and make repairs.

Thor bought out Keystone around 2002.... way before your unit was made.

I solved my Montanna problems. I purchased a lot and tied it to the ground. Now it's up for sale.

Posted By: richfaa on 06/26/08 02:29pm

Gruffy..wondered where you have been..Actually those are problems of the appliance makers. Keystone/Montana did not make them. The wiring harness bracket that breaks in some units is part of the Lipperts frame assembly and breaks in other units as well. Now Keystone did place them in their units but if you look at any brand you will see mostly the same vendor provided appliances. Montana backs everything within their 1 year warranty period same as My Fords 3 year warranty period, In addition many of the vendor provided appliances have more than a 1 year warranty and they do stand behind the product. You just gotta know these things..

Posted By: Vulcaneer on 06/26/08 03:18pm

The model year 2006 Montana and these problems developed in May 2008. OP doesn't say if he bought the trailer new, or used. Even if it was bought it new, why should Montana be responsible beyond the one year warranty? Maybe it was a left over 2006 bought in June 2007??? And with a year warranty???

It appears the previous problems were repaired by the dealer. OP doesn't say whether these repairs were made at no cost as per warranty. But the dealer acted as Montana's agent and took care of them. Lets face it, most manufacturing defects will occur in the first few month of use. But hauling any RV trailer over the road, can develop problems. And turn some kids loose in them and even more stuff happens.

You can plan on getting a perfect no fault RV. But I wouldn't expect it. Nor plan on it.

Posted By: HUTCH45 on 06/26/08 02:38pm

WTTCS wrote:

LOL funny post. You say PROBLEMS WITH KEYSTONE. I am still waiting to hear of any problems with your keystone.

Seems all your problems is from the applicance makers. Since when does Keystone warranty applicances?

Why you even make this post is beyond me. If you dont like the rv stuff you have, BLAME, BLAME , BLAME, lay the fault where it lies. NOT ON THE MFGR OF THE FIVER.

All your post does is reinforce the fact that Keystone makes one of the best rvs on the road today. Cant say so much for the applicances. As far as Dometic goes, you expect overnight service 1000s of miles from home? Wake up and smell the roses.

[emoticon]

"HUTCH"
'07 SILVERADO 3500HD 'CLASSIC' DRW - CC - 4 X 4
'07 NEW HORIZONS 35' 5th.Wheel 'MotoMover'....(SOLD)

Posted By: WTTCS on 06/26/08 03:50pm

Gruffy, lets get a few things straight. To me, this forum is designed for help for people who have a problem or want some information. Some of it is good, some bad, and some just down right stupid.

First post by a new member titled "Problems with Keystone RV". I sincerely hope that you are smart enough to know that these problems he listed are not the fault of Keystone. Not only that, but the people in mainstream, would have titled it something like "A bad trip" or "problems with a newly received rv" or even "look what happened tome". Most people are not out to bend, break, or mutilate a mfg. Even his own words describe who the problem is with. Why cant you see that? Or do you just like to ridicule people who speak the truth?

Yep, I own and live in a Keystone and people telling flat out lies about them tick me off if they are not truthful. If you dont like Keystone, just flat out say it, but tell the truth.

* This post was edited 06/26/08 08:38pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: woodburner on 06/26/08 04:17pm

Keystone didn't make the appliances; but they sure made the decision which ones to install and sell the package!
Trailer mfg's should warranty the appliances installed in "their" products...I know they don't, but that don't make it right.
It's a down right shame when you hear of somebody's coach literally self destructing while only a year or two old.
Quite frankly; I've heard the song and dance about QC throughout the industry being poor just to darn often.
That makes no justifiable excuse for ANY mfg. to turn out crummy products! Keystone seems to have more then the fair share of these kinds of stories!

TIFFIN ALLEGRO 34TGA

Posted By: grannyapple3 on 06/26/08 05:56pm

WOW!
When I read the OP's post my first reaction was wow he is living in my world. I didn't think he was BLAMING anyone in particular. He even pointed out how he had contacted individual product companies. I took it as sharing his experiences and asking for some advice.

It always amazes me how all some people want to do is argue, blame, ridicule, and try to humiliate or belittle someone (like calling them stupid, etc.) when they post something on this forum. I especially love the ones that think it is their way or no way. Oh if we could only be as perfect as them. Just ask them! [emoticon] HUM am I talking about you? [emoticon]
I don't have to name any names. All you have to do is look at theirs posts and see how argumentative that they are and see how many that they get closed.
They will prove my point when they respond to this.
There are so many hypocritical people on here. Do as I say not as I do. It is alright for me but not for you!

I feel for you Meldelton. I hope that you can get everything fixed. Look at it this way, when you do, At least you will know all those things are either new or repaired now.
Don't let the few sour apples spoil this experience on this forum. There are a lot of great people that truly are out here to listen, give advice, and be as helpful as they can be. Just consider the source on the rest.

* This post was edited 06/26/08 06:16pm by grannyapple3 *

Posted By: floridacamper on 06/26/08 06:06pm

WTTCS wrote:

Gruffy, lets get a few things straight. To me, this forum is designed for help for people who have a problem or want some information. Some of it is good, some bad, and some just down right stupid.

First post by a new member titled "Problems with Keystone RV". I sincerely hope that you are smart enough to know that these problems he listed are not the fault of Keystone. Not only that, but the people in mainstream, would have titled it something like "A bad trip" or "problems with a newly received rv" or even "look what happened tome". Most people are not out to bend, break, or mutilate a mfg. Even his own words describe who the problem is with. Why cant you see that? Or do you just like to ridicule people who speak the truth?

Yep, I own and live in a Keystone and people telling flat out lies about them tick me off if they are not truthful. If you dont like Keystone, just flat out say it, but tell the truth.

Well I flat out don't like a Keystone and if your out of warranty only if it’s by a few months don't look for Keystone to be any help. Been there, done that!

* This post was edited 06/26/08 08:35pm by an administrator/moderator *

CLICK HERE FOR PHOTO ALBUM

Posted By: Vulcaneer on 06/26/08 06:12pm

woodburner wrote:

Keystone seems to have more then the fair share of these kinds of stories!

on 6/09/2008
woodburner wrote:

I purchased in Sept. 2004; Keystone took care of me in Sept. 2007; They made sure I was completely satisfied. So when I hear about someone who is having problems with them I find it hard to accept and have to wonder who the contact was; because you hear of absolutely great service on one post and really crummy service on another throughout this forum and on several others. Confusing to the potential consumer and I'm sure, not the type of critic' Keystone would want on their service or their product. (them folks were great to me)[emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

Posted By: Vulcaneer on 06/26/08 06:31pm

grannyapple3 wrote:

WOW!
I took it as sharing his experiences and asking for some advice.

There are so many hypocritical people on here. Do as I say not as I do. It is alright for me but not for you!

Where was the OP asking for any advice? He stated the letter was for information. What do you think his intention was? He basically documented a bad experience where things broke and placed the blame directly on Keystone. By posting in this manner, he demonstrated he was directly flaming Keystone and Thor, to the world.

Since this is his first post, I expect he bought a used trailer. Maybe his first trip with it. And things didn't work. Keystones fault???

Posted By: Gruffy on 06/26/08 06:56pm

richfaa wrote:

Gruffy..wondered where you have been..Actually those are problems of the appliance makers. Keystone/Montana did not make them. The wiring harness bracket that breaks in some units is part of the Lipperts frame assembly and breaks in other units as well. Now Keystone did place them in their units but if you look at any brand you will see mostly the same vendor provided appliances. Montana backs everything within their 1 year warranty period same as My Fords 3 year warranty period, In addition many of the vendor provided appliances have more than a 1 year warranty and they do stand behind the product. You just gotta know these things..

Pretty much gave up on RVNET.... guys like WTTCS seem to support the factory... I wonder if they work there. We see here a fellow with problems.... WTTCS wants to trash him and anyone who supports him. Gotta wonder who's being paid off here.

Anybody wants a unbiased view of Montanna quality. I have a list of broken springs, axles and welds that finally turned the thing into a summer cottage...(not safe to tow). You can reach your own conclusions.

I see you bought another Richfaa..... how did it work out??? Any better then your old one????

Posted By: richfaa on 06/26/08 06:57pm

"Well I flat out don't like a Keystone and if your out of warranty only if it’s by a few months don't look for Keystone to be any help. Been there, done that!"

Out of warranty is out of warranty.. do you think your truck manufacturer would replace your blown transmission if it was only a few months out of Warranty..

I can not believe some folks. Gee Ford..I blew my transmission and it is only a few months out of warranty..you will replace it under the warranty won't you..I mean its only a few months////

Posted By: richfaa on 06/26/08 07:11pm

Gruffy.. I have no problems with Montana.. I have had 5 other brand Rv' and the quality was about the same. We had problems with the 3400 but Keystone corrected them without a problem. Quality at Keystone is no better no worse that any other manufacturer. Look at the post on this forum..all brands..similar problems..WTTCS does not work at the factory..nor do I. I am not happy with the quality of my Montana or any other of the brands we have owned..We have been to several of the plants..they all look alike and they all turn out a product that could be of better quality.. It is unfortunate that you had so much trouble with yours but there are far more satisfied customers and that would go for any brand.

Posted By: Texas Jimwh on 06/26/08 07:46pm

I can't understand why you people are beating Meldelton up. He did not by tires, or microwave, or refrigerator, or any number of other things that spoiled his trip. He did not ask any of you for help. He simply stated what problems that he had.

He did in fact buy a Montana 5th Wheel who is noted for building a good trailer but that is not what he received.

For all of you that say he should go back to the manufacturer of each product, ask yourself if the water pump goes out on your vehicle are you going back to the manufacturer of the water pump for satisfaction OR will you go back to the manufacturer of your vehicle? What if the computer that you are using to get this post stops working are you going to China to find the manufacturer of the bad computer chip or will you go to the manufacturer of the computer. Do you suggest he go back to the manufacturer of the WIRE THAT FELL OUT or is the trailer manufacturer to blame.

You buy a complete product based on its reputation and expect the manufacturer to use quality products. What if you fall through the floor in your RV do you find who sold them the plywood.

In most cases you go back to the total product manufacturer. If the fan belt on your washer breaks do you go to whoever made the fan belt or to the manufactruer on the washer. Are you beginning to get my point.

This guy didn't ask you for anything and most of you bad mouthed him. I think it is in order for you to suggest that he contact Montana and his dealer for help. I also think it would be ok to suggest that he list the proplems and ask for help from Trailer Life Magazine, or Highways Magazine.

Jim

* This post was edited 06/26/08 08:37pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: jlnix on 06/26/08 08:30pm

grannyapple3 wrote:

WOW! When I read the OP's post my first reaction was wow he is living in my world. I didn't think he was BLAMING anyone in particular. He even pointed out how he had contacted individual product companies. I took it as sharing his experiences and asking for some advice.........

Exactly my first reaction also! Those that took it differently, did so to promote their own agenda.

Posted By: grannyapple3 on 06/26/08 08:41pm

Vulcaneer wrote:

grannyapple3 wrote:

WOW!
I took it as sharing his experiences and asking for some advice.

Where was the OP asking for any advice? He stated the letter was for information. What do you think his intention was? He basically documented a bad experience where things broke and placed the blame directly on Keystone. By posting in this manner, he demonstrated he was directly flaming Keystone and Thor, to the world.

Since this is his first post, I expect he bought a used trailer. Maybe his first trip with it. And things didn't work. Keystones fault???

I would sure take the last few sentences of his post as asking for advice.
Re read the last fews sentences [emoticon]

"What should we do now, and what is still ahead? Is someone trying to tell us something? Is this what rving is all about? Could Montana’s owners, Suncoast RV, Dometic, Atwood and Apollo fix these problems and, thus, make it right again?
Incidentally, didn’t we hear that Thor Industries, Inc. bought the Keystone RV Company , Montana’s parent company? Could this unit have been built during the transition? "

Posted By: sirdrakejr on 06/26/08 08:53pm

This thread would "read" better and help the OP more if it stuck to answering his question of, "What should we do now" rather than argue among yourselves about who works for whom. Try staying on the OP's topic.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

Posted By: TnTtravelers on 06/26/08 10:44pm

With all of the new stuff, you should probably keep her. Purdy much like a new coach at this point.

* This post was edited 06/26/08 10:54pm by TnTtravelers *

Tim and Tina (kudo too)
Livin' good, while the livin's good!

2005 Ford F350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short box
2007 Everest 295TS 5th Wheel, Superglide hitch
JT Stabilizers">
Firestone Air Suspension System
TST tire pressure mntr system

Posted By: Trailer Trash 2 on 06/27/08 12:04am

Sorry to hear about all the disasters you had for your trip sorta puts a nail in the fun.
Im getting ready for my trip to Idaho in September I hope mine goes better than your.

Don & Georgia
AKA: Trailer Trash 2
Real trucks don't have spark plugs.
2009, Dodge, 3500, Q Cab, Cum/Diesel, D.R.W.
Pulling a Super Fine Montana 2980RL

Posted By: richfaa on 06/27/08 06:14am

This is not the auto industry..it is the RV industry..If the Rv industry was anything like the auto industry we would not have all the problems we do. It has been my experience that dealing directly with the vendor can be very helpful. It has been my experience that looking at www.montanaowners.com can be very helpful. It has been my experience that calling Keystone, team Montana can be very helpful and we suggested that the OP try that.

We did note that the OP's dealings were with a dealer yet he seemed to put the blame on Keystone. There is a real good chance that Keystone does not even know about his problems. I would strongly suggest. that the OP contact Keystone himself..do not depend on the dealer ...

Posted By: Vulcaneer on 06/27/08 07:22am

Granny,

What should we do now??? He should attempt to get repairs done under warranty by the component/Appliance mfg'r if they are covered under warranty. If not warranteed, pay for the repairs to be done. Or do the repairs himself. Simple as that.

If he is not the original purchaser, the component warrantees may not be transfered, to the second owner. But there may be a dealer warranty in effect on a used unit. For non component defects, his Montana is out of the one year factory warranty.

Maybe he can purchase an extended warranty? But usually those are available on a used trailer when offered at the time of purchase. But there may be something available if he talks to his dealer. If bought from a private party, probably not available.

We bought an extended warranty when we bought our used Copper Canyon. I never go for extended warrantees. But this one has paid for itself already. A screw backed out from under slide. Ripped up the carpet. Replaced at no charge.

Posted By: cummins2014 on 06/27/08 08:01am

Gruffy wrote:

richfaa wrote:

Pretty much gave up on RVNET.... guys like WTTCS seem to support the factory... I wonder if they work there. We see here a fellow with problems.... WTTCS wants to trash him and anyone who supports him. Gotta wonder who's being paid off here.

Anybody wants a unbiased view of Montanna quality. I have a list of broken springs, axles and welds that finally turned the thing into a summer cottage...(not safe to tow). You can reach your own conclusions.

I see you bought another Richfaa..... how did it work out??? Any better then your old one????

Sounds like you don't like Keystone thats my conclusion,Is there a RV out there that you do like ???? I have owned two Montana's, now I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but if the first one had anywhere near the problems that I am hearing on this topic I would of stayed clear of a Montana on the second one,and bought another brand. So what is your advice for me I have had two of them and have good service from both, the first I may add was used when I bought it.

Posted By: grannyapple3 on 06/27/08 03:39pm

Vulcaneer wrote:

Granny,

What should we do now??? He should attempt to get repairs done under warranty by the component/Appliance mfg'r if they are covered under warranty. If not warranteed, pay for the repairs to be done. Or do the repairs himself. Simple as that.

If he is not the original purchaser, the component warrantees may not be transfered, to the second owner. But there may be a dealer warranty in effect on a used unit. For non component defects, his Montana is out of the one year factory warranty.

Maybe he can purchase an extended warranty? But usually those are available on a used trailer when offered at the time of purchase. But there may be something available if he talks to his dealer. If bought from a private party, probably not available.

We bought an extended warranty when we bought our used Copper Canyon. I never go for extended warrantees. But this one has paid for itself already. A screw backed out from under slide. Ripped up the carpet. Replaced at no charge.

Vulcaneer I am sure you meant to address the OP with all of your advice not me. What you quoted from me
Quote:

What should we do now???
was a quote from the OP. I quoted him to show you the last few lines of his OP asking for advice which you said he didn't do.
Vulcaneer wrote:

Where was the OP asking for any advice?
I didn't think I would have to explain that but sometimes it is necessary I guess....

To get back to the post..........

Meldelton..... My advice to you is I would handle each individual problem through each individuals manufacturer seeing what warranties if any are or are not on them. The question of whether you bought this unit new or used has not been answered! If you bought this unit used it is hard telling what responsibility any previous owners might have for some of these problems? In that case I would chalk it up to a live and learn experience, choose whether to fix all of your problems, and move on.
If you purchased this unit new then I would call Keystone or who ever makes your unit and explain to them everything that has happened. Explain to them that you realize that your unit is out of warranty and you have contacted each individuals applicane manufacturer but that you are disappointed that so many things have happened to this particular unit. If it were me I would express to them that you would expect one of their unit to not be having all the NON Appliance issues. You never know you just might be pleasantly surprised and they may stand behind some of your issues. These are just my opinions!
I sure hope you adventually enjoy RVing whether you keep your present unit, find another one or etc.

* This post was edited 06/27/08 06:28pm by grannyapple3 *

Posted By: R&DScott on 06/27/08 04:17pm

I sometimes feel like asking advice on RV.NET is like standing in the Runway to catch your plane.

Then other days you couldnt afford the great advice given.

Guess it depends on if they are in the Nice days or the Surly grumpy days [emoticon]

R & D Scott
2008 Everest 322R 5th wheel
2011 F350 XLT SRW CC LB 4WD 6.7 Turbodiesel

Posted By: Vulcaneer on 06/27/08 06:55pm

The OP merely pasted his letter in to his post. He even stated it was just for YOUR (OUR) information. And that his letter was mailed to Suncoast and Keystone. To me it indicates he wants to make a point that he is unhappy with either Keystone, Suncoast, or both. Why else would he post it as he did. He wasn't asking for any advice from anyone on this forum. In his letter he was asking Keystone and Suncoast for some advice. But by posting here, as he did, it was simply to BASH.

He was giving us "information". And thus was making a badmouthing statement against (at least) Keystone. If he was giving us information, why wasn't he giving us ALL the information? Such as, did he buy the rig new or was it used? Did he buy it from Suncoast? Or another dealer? Or maybe a private party. And he appears upset that Keystone won't warranty his "out of warranty" trailer. And it sounds like Suncoast is not offering no cost warranty repairs either. Otherwise he would not have posted his letter here.

And the OP has not come back to fill in the details, after his one and ONLY post. Smells like TROLL to me.

Lots of us have given him honest advice based on the information we have. But something is missing. And by posting the OP is opening up for challenge, questions or comment. Comes with the territory. If that is hypocritical, belittling, arguing, blaming, ridiculing, or trying to humiliate the OP,or anyone else, I fail to see it.

Posted By: bstark on 06/27/08 07:40pm

Gruffy said it best in his first post on this thread. I believe the O/P simply wanted to relate his experience with his RV. We have become a culture of acceptance, indeed we even start making excuses for bad workmanship by RV manufacturer's where, had he spent the same amount of money on a car or truck we would be advising the guy to park it out front of the dealer's with a big lemon drawn on it. Telling the guy to "suck-it-up" just isn't the kind of support I expect to hear from fellow RV'ers.

I think he should keep the unit as I believe when he recitfies the refridgerator problem and quiets down the furnace he will have put the worst behind him. Running out to purchase another with all of the same cheap components in it will just start the whole process of disappointment over aqain!

Shame on the RV industry for building cheaply and using low bidder appliances.

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Posted By: richfaa on 06/27/08 07:45pm

"This article is for your information. It has been sent to Keystone and Suncoast"

Vulcaneer said it right. actually he was asking Keystone and Suncoast..what should he do next.None of us should have said anything.

I would like to hear a update from the OP..It could help others..

Posted By: CAMike on 06/27/08 11:19pm

richfaa is exactly right. The individuals who exhibit "Blind Pride" in their Keystone products(and others) should be ashamed of themselves. If one was to spend hours a day, month after month on this forum or any other RV forum- they'd see Keystone has just as many if not more issues than any other manufacturer. Heck my Hitchhiker had had numerous issues- it's the way of the American RV Industry. They put out the crappiest product the public is statistically willing to accept and that level of quality is the industry standard!

Hopefully the vendors step up to the line even if he's out of warranty. Best of luck OP! We're thinking positive thoughts for you.

2004 2500 LS Crew Cab Shortbed (LLY-Duramax with OilGuard ByPass Filtration (2 Micron) and Nicktane Cat(2 Micron)for Fuel, 2007 HitchhikerIILS 32.5LKSBG. SuperGlide 16K, Twin Honda EU2000i's

Posted By: Cox89XJ on 06/28/08 06:23am

You’ve got to learn to be skeptical of these one post whiners about a product not being any good. Most are just a troll.
The OP has only one post. Has never posted before or since. That's why I'm skeptical. JMO

* This post was edited 06/28/08 08:30am by Cox89XJ *

Posted By: mwebber78 on 06/28/08 07:32am

In my original post I pointed out that the poster should consider the issue to be mostly vendor, not Keystone. I don't think Keystone is responsible for a coach that is a few years old and past the 1 year warranty. The vendor IS if they had a multi-year warranty.

Anyways as far as being a troll I'm not sure I would go that far. They did state some specific places that do exist. I know Lee's Family Trailer in Windam Maine. I have gone to their open house in the Spring for a few years now and tried to buy a RV from them (they always seemed less then interested in making a deal, they seem interested in first time buyers who will pay MSRP not knowing any better).

Good luck.

Posted By: charlan on 06/28/08 09:42am

Cox89XJ wrote:

You’ve got to learn to be skeptical of these one post whiners about a product not being any good. Most are just a troll.
The OP has only one post. Has never posted before or since. That's why I'm skeptical. JMO

Activist skeptics, self-described "debunkers" are a subset of scientific skeptics who aim to expose in public what they see as the truth behind specific extraordinary claims. Debunkers may publish books, air TV programs, create websites, or use other means to advocate their message. In some cases they may challenge claimants outright or even stage elaborate hoaxes to prove their point
Because debunkers often challenge popular ideas, many are not strangers to controversy. Critics of debunkers sometimes accuse them of robbing others of hope. Debunkers frequently reply that it is the claimant, whom they many times accuse of exploiting public gullibility, who is guilty of abuse
Debunkers is good handle for a lot of the posters.[emoticon]

2008 LMM GMC 3500 SLT 4X4 HD LB Duramax 6.6 Turbo Diesel Dually Hijacker 4 Way Pivot, Integrated controler,
2004 Prowler Regal Advantage AX6 36.5 FLTS

Posted By: Dustytuu on 06/28/08 01:05pm

We had a Montana we bought new. A new 2004. Loved it and had no serious problems with it. The fridge was replaced under warranty and the main AC was replaced under warranty. No other problems.
We would have bought another Montana if they would have had a floor plan that worked for us.

I feel bad for you that you had so much trouble with your coach. I believe it is fixable.

2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

Posted By: dnichol on 06/28/08 07:01pm

If you read this forum long enough you are going to see these problems on almost any rv out there and you will read the same replys. This orginal post leaves lots of questions hanging? I have delt with keystone & they did everything they were supposed to do. when you pull out of your drive you have got to use your own experence & lady luck to get to your destination.The thing I like about this forum ,you will see more real problems than on a owners forum. Good Luck to everybody out there & check your rig good at every stop.
Dawayne

Dawayne & Anna Nichol
Lone Oak Tx
2006 Chevy 4dr sb 4x4 Duramax-Allision trans
2009 Montana 3665RE

Posted By: floridacamper on 06/29/08 09:59am

All manufacturers are going to have problems. This forum represents a minute number of the people actually RVing.

Example, at my work I know of six other guys that have either a fiver, tt and one has a Class A rig. None of them have ever heard of this forum and even after I’ve told them about it they have no interest in it.

You do see a lot of first time posters here complaining about their problems because until they have a problem they don't look for any place like this. Most people that are retired don't come to this forum as most don't know how or either don't care about the internet. And NO I’m not picking on the old guy. It’s just around the corner for me.

I agree that the OP could have chosen a better heading, but he probally didn't think anything about it cause it is his Monatana

Posted By: snownyet on 06/30/08 05:10am

If I were a newb looking to buy a 5th wheel and I read any of these RV forums looking to find a quality rig I think Id end up giving up and staying in hotels. The basic feeling you get is theyre all junk. Fact of the matter is one needs to guage their tolerance for build quality issues when compared to standards of the general non RVing public. If youre a picky person, odds are RVing is going to test your nerves.

2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RKD
2006 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 crew Duramax/allison

Posted By: meldelton on 06/30/08 05:44am

Dear fellow rvers,

Thanks to all for reading and giving your advice. Misery does love company.

I plan to keep the Montana and, as soon as I return home, to take it to my dealer who received my post, along with Keystone, before any of you read it.

My intention was not to bash, because we do like the Montana. However, I respect your perception.

Since I am traveling, I do not stay posted to this website. I regret that a few felt that I dumped and ran.

This is a great website. I wish that I had discovered it earlier!

Happy Traveling to you all.

Meldelton

Posted By: weekendrvers on 06/30/08 08:23pm

Hi Medelton, I Hope that Everything will turn out well for you and I am very sorry for all the problems that you have Encountered. But the most Important Thing is even after all that you have gone through you still love your Coach!~~The very best of Luck and that more Happier Trails will be Instore for you~~Sandy

-------
New Everest Owners~~~
Steve, Sandy, Katie and Our Cocker DJ
Loving our Everest sweeeeett!~~
2008 Ford F350 King Ranch crew cab 4x4

Posted By: Cox89XJ on 06/30/08 11:24pm

Dale
Glad to see you post again. I'm the skeptic. I hope you have all the problems fixed by now. What did you do to fix the wiring that pulled loose for the slide? I have a similar problem with wiring support on one of my slides. I'm not a bad person and sure not a debunker, just a skeptic. Welcome to the board.

Print  |  Close