RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Using the TC to access Non-motorized recreation

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Using the TC to access Non-motorized recreation

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
petekerwien

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/08 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do you guys fit under bridges?

Camp, Forrest, Camp!

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/08 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

petekerwien wrote:

I used to put a tandem on top of my camper (without a rack) and I was still under 12' which clears most bridges. Now I use inflatables which fit inside the camper.

One note, you CANNOT use a camper with kayaks inside! [emoticon]

-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

JohninSD

San Diego Ca USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/08 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm just about 12 feet even with the boats on top - it's a rare bridge that's lower than that. They really don't stick up much above the A/C.

cleary

Fairbanks, Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/08 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Hiking on Rainbow Ridge in the Alaska Range near the Richardson Highway.

[image]

Cross-Country Skiing to Landmark Gap Lake on the Denali Highway.

[image]

Gold panning in the White Mountains National Recreation Area north east of Fairbanks.

[image]

More gold panning.

[image]

Hiking along the Root Glacier near the old Kennicott Mine, Alaska

[image]

Fishing for Arctic Grayling in Boulder Creek near the Macalren lodge on the Denali Highway.

[image]

Paddling Boulder Creek.

[image]

Having a "Beer-Butt Chicken" cook-off in the White Mountains National Recreation Area

* This post was edited 07/14/08 02:06pm by cleary *

2006 F-350, 4X4, Crew Cab, V-10, Torqshift, Dually. 2008 Okanagan 106UDB. Both 4-wheelers and snowmobiles. KL7AY Our website

FarcticOx

NH or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/08 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great response CLEARY. That's what I'm talking about. Let's have more, I know you're out there. Maybe you're all too busy doing it.
FarcticOx.

PeteKerwien wrote:

Pete, we just take the camper off and drag it through the bridge.[emoticon]

FarcticOx

Run Silent, Run Deep
BLOG
2003 F350 Diesel DRW.
2005 Arctic Fox B1150 solar powered dry camper.
220 Watts Solar, 2 300AH 6 volt AGMs, Yamaha EF1000iS Generator

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/08 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Silver’s uses their TC to access Non-motorized recreation, such as hiking, photography, field research and art/drawing. Here are a few image excerpts, across the years, with our TC:

Rain never stops us, anyway it always rains when we are in Maine

[image]

Ocean, calm or agitated, attracts us for looong hikes along the shore: Assatigue or Delaware,

[image]

Discovering the light of the sun on the grains of sand in Virginia or the kaleidoscope colours of Zion

[image]
[image]

All memories recorded in our mind, on film or sometimes on paper; sketches for future artwork

[image]

Our TC has even brought us for field/lab research work in New Mexico’s Sevilleta (LTER site), studying the carrier of the Hantavirus, the Peromyscus maniculatus (deer mouse)

[image]
[image]

and even if there is some work, nothing stops us form hiking to higher ground for our enjoyment

[image]

Our passion for petroglyphs has brought our TC to so many places, where hikes can be very rewarding

[image]

and if no petroglyphs to be found, there is still the beauty of nature to be discover in remote hikes (back of beyond of Zion)

[image]

Our Camper has permitted us to get into great places and have given the opportunity to look, study and discuss our numerous excursions, in the comfort of our TC, sleeping cozily, awaiting the next day of hiking adventures.

[image]

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

petekerwien

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/08 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ted: Sometimes it nice to take the tc for an early evening . Back it up to the waterfront here (or lake front there) and just have a quiet evening. No TV, no phones and especially during the week, few people around. We can get too regimented in using the TC only for long trips or for camping. Once when my DW wanted to go to the mall. I took the TC and sat in it reading with some soft music on. She enjoyed her shopping and I enjoyed the TC. Years ago when the kids were in soccer and piano lessons, dance leson, etc. I took the motorhome and didn't mind the time spent watching the kids chase the soccer ball back and forth. They also appreciated having a refuge for a potty stop or when it rained. Our TC's can be used in many ways. Thanks for the pix and the discussion.

petekerwien

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/08 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ted[emoticon]here you live with those covered bridges, you would have to tow the camper behind you!!

trails2004

Outside

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/08 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whazoo wrote:

Great shots Farctic! I'm not only inspired but have just bought a 16 ft canoe and hope to have similar fun. Having a serious problem though trying to figure how to use my Yakima rack on top of my Outfitter. It won't work as the curve (rocker) of the canoe leaves only the front and back 3 inches of the canoe touching the gunwale brackets. Not sure what to do but boy I want to use it real bad. Thanks for inspiration shots. And real nice kayak you have there.

Hello Whazoo

Cant you use some foam blocks to cradle the gunwales- so that the canoe rest's in the cradle's and provides a base so that you can strap her down.

FarcticOx

NH or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/08 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whazoo, I gotta tell you, there's nothing better after a day on the water than to land 20 feet from your TC, crack open a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon or a cool microbrew, and drop into your lawn chair. That's TC livin'
FarcticOx

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Using the TC to access Non-motorized recreation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.