RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Using the TC to access Non-motorized recreation

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Using the TC to access Non-motorized recreation

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/08 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Farctic, you're killin me! I can taste it I can taste it! I'm absolutely sure there's nothing better...hope to join you're club soon.

Hi Trails, bought the canoe to go back to Green River Lakes. Probably next summer. But hope to make it to Boulder Mtn. Utah in a few weeks. At the very least some lakes here on the Mogollon Rim. And you are 1 smart cookie...I've ordered some minicell foam blocks to try just that, should be here by Friday. Hope it works out. Man that canoe sits up real high.

Hi Silver...great great shots! You are 1 heck of a get-around-town kind-of guy. I'm envious.

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/08 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

double darn post!

RichandLiz

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/08 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice shots all!!! I'll have to try and upload some photos.

Whazoo wrote:

Great shots Farctic! I'm not only inspired but have just bought a 16 ft canoe and hope to have similar fun. Having a serious problem though trying to figure how to use my Yakima rack on top of my Outfitter. It won't work as the curve (rocker) of the canoe leaves only the front and back 3 inches of the canoe touching the gunwale brackets. Not sure what to do but boy I want to use it real bad. Thanks for inspiration shots. And real nice kayak you have there.

Here's what I've been doing to haul my canoe until I figure something better. I use the foam blocks. Way I have it tied, I cannot raise the roof until I release the straps.
[image]

silverdunes

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/08 05:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FarticOx,
Good idea to start this thread! I like to know where our truck campers bring us and see picts of non-motorized recreation. For some, it may be more difficult to post a full trip report, therefore, picts of non-motorized recreation permit us to discover new place for adventure and even tempt us on trying something new.

I agree with your TC living; after a day of recreation, nothing like a sauvignon and a microbrew, sitting beside the camper, enjoying the view!

Cleary,
Beautiful pict of Cross-Country skiing with Puppy! The landscape in the back is a gorgeous setting and it seems not that cold! Nice to see picts of Cross-Country skiing.

RichardLiz
more picts to come?

Silverdunes
Outfitter Caribou, Silverado 2004
Silversand and 2 stay@homecats

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/08 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I was trying to find a few pictures from last summer when we did a 4 day backpacking trip on the Colorado Trail but couldn't.....it rained every day, and sometimes for an extended period of time. Plenty of scrambles to set up a tarp in time before the deluge hit or getting dinner cooked etc. I spent a lot time worrying if we were making good enough time to make it to the camper parked at the end or not.

What a treat it was to arrive in the rain, use the wet bath/shower to dump our wet clothes and change into dry clothes with the heat cranked, and of course that first cold beer in 4 days (not counting the one I wrangled out of some fishermen who had a cooler [emoticon] when we were along a 4x4 road.)

I guess I don't have the images here, but it sure is nice to use the camper for a little luxory at the end of a little deprivation.

The best I can do for a picture (and this was a call for pictures people [emoticon] good work to those who replied with their own) is one from skiing year before last. It's been a favorite shot of mine...ski in ski out free camping - A-Basin in the background:

[image]

Hey, here are a few more non-motorzied photos....

These are from Kintla Lake, Glacier. I know, I hear these little inflatable kayaks are cheap and shouldn't be trusted to abuse, but hey, they fit in a box and work to paddle around a little in a small lake. From the first picture to the last, 45 minutes elapsed and the fog was completely and totally gone. It actually broke for the first views in a matter of a few moments and took maybe 15-20 to be pretty much fully clear.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/08 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful photos especially the Alaska dog walk and the lake canoeing. Silver - please come back down to Maine and bring some rain with you. We're getting desperate for some. Maybe I'll just plan a Maine TC trip. That usually makes it rain.

Joe

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

MrPhelps

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/08 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bowman Lake in Glacier National Park... Ahhh

[image]

Paddling...

[image]

Swimming...

[image]

- 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
- 2018 Host Cascade Dual Slide

FarcticOx

NH or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/08 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Damn, If all those folks with other types of campers find out how much fun we TCers are having they're gonna want to switch. There will be TCs everywhere. What was I thinking. OK everybody, start posting your Wally World pictures instead. [emoticon]

Well, I can see I've got some traveling to do. Better get to it. [emoticon]

FarcticOx

P.S. Mr Phelps, Bowman lake is high on my ToDo list. Thanks for the pics. And Kintla lake too Btggraphix.

FarcticOx

Run Silent, Run Deep
BLOG
2003 F350 Diesel DRW.
2005 Arctic Fox B1150 solar powered dry camper.
220 Watts Solar, 2 300AH 6 volt AGMs, Yamaha EF1000iS Generator

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/08 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kintla Lake is a long long bumpy dusty painful road so everyone stay away... In fact so is Bowman. Farctic, you spoke up so you are allowed in still....but that's it...nobody else! [emoticon] Seriously, Bowman is a giant campground and takes all types of RV's, Kintla is tiny and from what I have heard, full the whole summer. The road IS long and bumpy and trailers are prohibited. I've gone in September right before things close up and have had luck getting in. One thing you do NOT want to do is drive the 15 miles (?) from Polebridge (over an hour) to find the campground full and have to drive all the way back.

Yep, this thread is making me jones to get on the road....I'll be in Montana in early August with the whole family, doing motorized and non-motorized recreation...

MrPhelps

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/08 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FarcticOx,
btggraphix provided my encouragement to take my TC to Bowman. It is one of the top three places we have taken our TC and I crave a return there. It's a long trip for us easterners but well worth it. I think it had about 40 spots vs 15 at Kintla. We thought about Kintla but risk was high it would be full as was mentioned.
MrPhelps

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Using the TC to access Non-motorized recreation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.