RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Caulking is Cracking On Roof??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Caulking is Cracking On Roof??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/08 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did Eternabond as soon as I bought my MH. Do it once and it's done for life. No more caulking and risk of seam leaks. It took me about an hour to do the job by myself. Clean the old caulk and 2 inches on each side of it with lacquer thinner. Snap a chalk line 2 inches from the old caulk to follow with the Eternabond tape. Work with 4 foot of tape at a time and smooth out with a wooden wallpaper seam roller. It takes less time time to apply Eternabond than to dig out the old caulk.

[image]

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/08 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is something that happens to everybody that has seams that are sealed with caulking and the manual tells you that once a year a person should get on top and reseal these cracks.
What I do is inspect the whole roof and find the cracks, then I get lacquer thinner on a small rag or towel and clean the grim off the old caulking. Clean it real good and in a few seconds it will dry up and then apply Dicor which you can get at any RV store and I believe I bought some at Home Depot. Dicor is the best thing you can use and it levels itself up and seals it up. Not hard to do! I do not recommend removing all the old caulking.

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/08 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No offense to folks that love to use caulking guns, but since our extended camping family discovered Eternabond tape apx 15 years ago the only time we ever pick up a tube of caulk is if we are sealing up the bottom of an RV or it's an extreme multi plane curve that the tape will not conform to.
Like someone posted all RV manufacturers recommend yearly inspection of caulked seams and re caulking if necessary. Which after a year or two usually is.
The Eternabond means no more crawling on the roof, no more worrying about leaks, no more spending mega bucks to repair damage caused by leaks.
In over 100 applications we only had one failure where the moron refused to clean off the sealing surface before applying the tape and the tape just stuck to the crud not the roof.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

samert

Rockford, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/08 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for Eternabond tape.

Just today I started cleaning up the old caulk on the front cap to roof joint. Had to remove some silicone sealer that previous owner used. Eternabond will not stick to silicone.

Should finish up the job tomorrow hopefully.

Steve & Judy
1996 American Tradition
Spartan IC 2242 Chassis
C8.3L Cummins w/Banks Stinger, Allison MD3060
Doran 360RV TPMS, Progressive HW50C EMS.
Koni shocks, Safe-T-Plus
2001 Jeep Wrangler toad
ReadyBrute tow bar w/ReadyBrake

CarlGeo

Central San Joaquin Valley, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/08 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eternabond is the best. Caulking must be inspected and renewed annually - for life. Install Eternabond and no more problems. It will seal different materials and allow for expansion and contraction with the heat and cold weather. Caulking can only do this for a short time, and it will become brittle, and crack. Then you get to replace it or have a leak. Eternabond is very easy to install.

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/08 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eternabond is very good from what I have read in this forum. The only problem is it looks like hell. It sticks up like a sore thumb and where it rolls around the sides it just takes away alot from your coach. There was some pic's on this forum as to how ugly it looks. But it does seal and you don't have to worry about checking the roof caulking anymore. I guess what it all comes down to is, if you don't care how it looks Eternabond is the tape to use.

WA1RI

FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/08 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, and use soap and water to clean, petroleum products aren't good for ruber roofs.

What happens with eternabond when you want to remove something like a roof vent? My Southwind had a crack in the skylight wnen I bought it, eternabond was used to seal the crack. I ordered a new skylight and swapped it out. The eternabond that was used looks like it would be extremely difficult to remove without damaging what it is adhered to.

Caulking is designed so it can be removed. I figure if the EB was the end all the mfg would use it initially.

Bill & Jolene / FL
1997 Southwind 35P
2006 Yamaha 1100 Classic &
1970 Norton Commando 750 in state of recuperation (Almost road ready!!!)
6x12 Enclosd trailer

JC2

Mo/Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/08 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How to Remove Eternabond Tape[emoticon]

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/08 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing about Eternabond, our MH manufacture elected to use Eternabond on both of our slide top seams. It would have been cheaper for them to use caulking, but they did it right and used Eteranbond. I guess Travel Supreme did not want leaking slides back for warranty repairs.

samert

Rockford, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/08 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just finished up today resealing both my front and rear cap to roof seams with Eternabond tape. All together it took me about 8 hours to do both because I removed all the old caulk and replaced the metal joint strip hex screws with countersunk SS screws so the surface would be flat.

Here's a few photos of the before and after.

Front joint cleaned up and ready to be taped.
[image]

[image]

Here is the front joint taped up
[image]

View from the side
[image]

And the rear cap seam cleaned up and taped up
[image]

Steve
1996 American Tradition
Spartan IC 2242 Chassis, C8.3L Cummins, 250 HP
Allison MD3060, Doran 360RV TPMS

* This post was edited 07/13/08 07:49pm by samert *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Caulking is Cracking On Roof??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS