|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 34 days, 7632 miles, 694 gal. and lots of $$$$$

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Thin Blue Smoke

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/08 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know I’m a little late with this, forgive me. Our trip to MT in June was great. We did a little touristy stuff but mostly where looking for an area to live. Our house in NY is on the market (pray to St. Joseph for us) and we are ready to move. We put on 3000 miles just driving around MT. We found 2 places we liked. Fort Benton outside Great Falls and Absarokee outside Billings. Anywhere in the Bitterroot Valley, really. I have in my pictures an album of just campsites, where they are and the prices. We found a few by looking in the MT fishing guide, who knew. The prices are without the National Pass discount, which we have. We spent $175 on campsites. The most we spent was $20.00 in Glacier and Finley State Park. We will be more careful to plan ahead and cut that in half next time. Now to answer the big question, we spent $2704 on gas.

Picture site: www.picturetrail.com/oldworldglass Albums 1-10

Pictures click here

FarcticOx

NH or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/08 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sue & Paul,
Great trip, I liked that you included the pictures of campsites, that's always good information. Good luck with the property search. I've been to the Bitterroot Valley and can see why you like it. Your pictures are wonderful, especially those vertigo inducing pics on the Chief Joseph Highway. June is such a nice month to travel (if you can avoid Tornados), cool weather and few crowds.

I'm looking forward to chatting at the Fall Rally.
FarcticOx

FarcticOx

Run Silent, Run Deep
BLOG
2003 F350 Diesel DRW.
2005 Arctic Fox B1150 solar powered dry camper.
220 Watts Solar, 2 300AH 6 volt AGMs, Yamaha EF1000iS Generator

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/08 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Link to Campsites to Montana added within Trip Reports.

Excellent resource! Many thanks for doing this.

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/08 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend of mine sent me an add for a house and 20 acres around Missoula for $185K nice looking place. I have researched the area in anticipation of moving there and the Bitteroot Valley is the place to be. The winters are much milder there and the University Hospital is close by.

Oh great photo's I'm headed that way in thee weeks.

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/08 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your Tiber Dam campsite and Bannack provoked my memory. We camped at the dam, nobody else there, unknown at the time we had a broken front window in our camper cabover. Glass all through the camper. All we had was a plastic garbage bag and masking tape. Made that work until we got to Shelby and a glass shop. While there the glass guy said "wasn't that something about O.J. and his run in his Bronco?" We hadn't heard about that situation until then. Also, Bannack S.P. Mosquitos like we'd never seen except in Alaska. Thanks for the "memories."

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/08 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys are campin' fools. Nice array of sites to see.
We've been through that area too when we were looking for a place to land after retiring.
We too were there in June, which i think is the best month there for camping, especially if you can beat the insects. It was magical. Soft air. Green. Birds chirping, fish jumping...
Jeanie and I looked for a place to retire away from L.A. for 40 years. Kind of low level looking, but we saw a lot of real estate during our lives together. I want to mention my caution:
Be sure you see and experience your 'dream' drop zone in at least three seasons. This simple requirement auto-ejected a great many possible locales for us. A lot.
High summer is the least important season to see, IMHO. Is the wind blowing on a January day? Yes, there is less snow than on the surrounding mountains east and west, it's in the rain shadow, but is it at all bitter? We looked on the east side of the Sierra Nevada, in the winter and a bitter wind was blowing all the time. It just drove us crazy.
I hope your house sells so you can get on with living in the west.
Thanks again for the travelog.
regards, as always, jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

JumboJet

Tontitown ARKANSAW

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/08 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just returned from a 16 day trip - 4435 miles - averaged (hand Calculated) 13.13 MPG. Bought 337.71 gallons of diesel at an average cost of $4.68/gal.

This was a 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 carrying a Lance 1030. The Dodge now has 6100 miles on the OD. Will be nice when the Cummins breaks in.

Lowest MPG calculated was 11.2 while in I-90 in Wyoming and Montana encountering a stiff head wind.

Drove 55-65 MPH. On Interstates mostly 65 MPH.

The 6 speed Aisin Automatic and exhaust brake were great in South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Idaho, and Colorado.

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/08 07:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sue - great photos. We sure skirted around each other on our mutual trips out west. Sorry we never caught up. Best wishes on the house sale. Don't tell everyone where you end up in MT or you might have a yard full of TCs! Hope to see you at the fall rally in NY.

Anne

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

John H

Kansas City Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/08 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sue, Thank You very much for the photo's. You know as I was looking at them I was thinking I will bet she would have had a narative if it was possable, just as good as her/his pictures. One more thing, your choise of a truck camper would be far and above any other, in my choice also. Take care out there you two. Thank you once again.

John H

qtrhors1

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/08 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

very cool pics

for a list of montana fishing sites that allow camping check this site

http://fwp.mt.gov/lands/search.aspx?q=ACT_4_0&p=1&s=19&st=fa&t=1

just got back from castlerock on the stillwater river. Very nice place. Also ran up to woodbine campground....great little hiking trail up to the woodbine falls.

Tim

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 34 days, 7632 miles, 694 gal. and lots of $$$$$
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.