|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Alex and Julie's roamps to Utah- part 2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/08 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Julie's Roamps to Utah-part2

Escalante to Moab, June 03,2008
Part2 pictures

For those who missed PART1

The sun peeking over distant mountain warming the morning chill, coffee filled the air with its aroma waking up two sleepy campers.
[image]
A rabbit searches for a morning meal to ward off hunger.
[image]

After a simple breakfast it was time to get going. Last night we had decide to take in Anasazi Indian State Park in Boulder.
[image]
Leaving our beautiful site 37 deg. 43' 22"N/111deg 26' 15"W
[image]
Video Link

Before we knew it here we are at the famous "Hogsback" section of Hwy12.
[image]
From what I'd read about Hogsback and now being here, whats the big deal? There's plently of room for any size rig. Our truck started complaining about being thirsty, so we made a stop in Hills Hollows along Hwy12.
[image]
The shopkeeper was very nice and told us that the store started out as a house with the living room being the first area to have for sale items. As time went by the whole house was changed into what is seen today. Boulder and Anasazi Indian State Park aren't much further.
[image]

Here we are at Anasazi, it was still early and they just openned their doors. Within the walls of the museum thy have many fine exhibits.
[image]

Outdoor ruins
[image]
[image]
[image]
A mocked up of a Indian dwelling. I had talked with the clerk on duty about the different ruins, she told me that more are being uncovered. It was that time again to get moving towards Capitl Reef NP. Landscape along Hwy12 was ever changing, I pulled into this visit view near mile marker 98.
[image]
To me it looked like I could see a hundred miles. Back on Hwy12
, a stop was done at Wildcat Information Center, were some cute critter were running about. My wife spied this squirrel pictured below.( Golden Mantled Ground Squirrel-credit goes to northriver18)
[image]
Critter Clip
Like many of our stop we bought maps and gathered local information. The campground host, Mr. Topliff, took our picture.
[image]
We had a nice visit was Mr and Mrs Toplif, but its that time again to get going, Capitol Reef here we come!
[image]
A short drive later and here we are at the main entrance sign. My wife haming it up a bit by giving me rabbit ears. Chimney Rock is one of those must stop places.
[image]
[image]
Capitol Reef visitor center is close by and found ourselves amoung a herd of people,busses and fellow campers. Julie wanted to see some of Capitol Reef (me too), off to the tour road passing by the campground, which was full, and what looked like a old barn that is still being used. Not long on this road we pulled over to shoot some pictures.
[image]
It didn't take alot of imagination to see the "reef" in these mountains. From here we traveled to the Grand Wash Rd.in search of some arches. Grand Wash Video

Cassidy Arch on Grand Wash road
[image]
Cassidy Arch is up high from the roadway, I did see people up there. For me the most striking natural struture in Capitol Reed is the Egyptain Temple.
[image]

After seeing a number of sights inside the park and having our fill, we went back to Hwy12 and made a stop to see some petroglphs locate east of Capitol Reef. Spenting more time than we had planned in this area we headed off to Moab stopping in Hanksville for a quick lunch. We did see a rather unusaul gas station, built right into the hillside.
[image]

Many parts of Hwy12 reminded me of Death Valley NP, once on I-70 headed towards Moab we made only one rest stop to stretch our legs and use the bathroom. It is cloudy at this time and a few raindrops came.
[image]
Little did we know that the next exit was Hwy 191, at this point we just wanted to get to Arch View RV Park, have some dinner, do lanudry and take a shower.
[image]
We have arrived at Arch View, with sunset close at hand there wasn't a lot of time to look around. There a beautiful tree by the front office.
[image]
Sunset was coming and we were done in after a long day.
[image]
To my fellow travelers be safe out there and may your way be full of beautiful sights.

Part3 coming soon...Canyonlands and the White Rim Trail.

* This post was last edited 07/29/08 02:54pm by c.traveler2 *   View edit history

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Polishnurse

Schodack, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/08 02:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks of posting those pics, nice job and looked like a great trip. Bill

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/08 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

northriver18, thanks for letting me know,I really though it was a chipmuck. Did the videos play ok for all of you?

jim87vette

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/08 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great trip I enjoyed all pics and the vids played out nice as well.I am traveling to that area in Sept.It's such a beautiful place I can't wait to see it for myself.

08 GMC 3500 Dually Duramax
96 Chevy 2500 6.5
05 Yamaha Rhino
04 Gearbox 335FS 5er 14k wet

northriver18

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/08 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great photos and report! That "seeing a hundred miles" is one of those great feelings provided by the Southwest. Hard to feel crowded when not in a "tourist spot".

Just thought you might like to know that is a Golden Mantled Ground Squirrel and not a chipmunk. Chipmunks are smaller and more "stripey". Some times you will see them together and the difference is readily apparent. I hope you take this as informational, not me just being nitpicky...

M[emoticon]

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/08 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't the Grand Wash unbelieveable? Our hike there was #1 on my best enjoyed places from our recent trip out west. Looks like we travelled the same roads. Route 12 is one of the best Scenic Byways we were on. Your photos made me want to hit the road west again.

Do all of you know about America's Scenic Byways - http://www.byways.org/ ? Great place to do some research on back roads.

anne

* This post was edited 07/29/08 08:15am by TwoMaineiacs *

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/08 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...wow, nice pix and write-up! It's going into Trip Reports now (right after your Part I) [emoticon]

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/08 10:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy it sure is beautiful there! Reminds me of home (northern AZ). [emoticon]

01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Mr. Tree

Cincinnati, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/08 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Visit Goblin Valley State Park in Utah. The formations remind you of the dancing mushrooms in Disney's movie Fantasia, There is also a nice campground there. It was one of our favorite spots when we spent 3 weeks in the canyon/arches areas in 2000. VERY nice photos. Keep them coming.

See you soon on the American Road !

1973 Ford American Road 11.5' Camper with 500,000 enjoyable miles.
1985 Ford 250HD, 6.9Diesel/4-speed/3.54 limited-slip axle, Supercab, SRW. Consulting forester, Supervisor of SWCD, and NRA Life Member.
A city without trees ain't fit for a dog!

Steve_in_29

St Johns, AZ (SEMPER FI)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/08 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the great write up and pics.

2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Alex and Julie's roamps to Utah- part 2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.