|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Magruder Corridor - Elk City ID to Darby MT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
DonCurley

La Sal, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/08 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nemo667 wrote:

DonCurley wrote:

Nemo667 wrote:

Thank goodness someone posted a offroad trip report cuz I sure needed a fix. Thanks DJ...great pics and write-up. I'll have to disagree with Don though; the trip would have been much more enjoyable and the ride definately better over the rough stuff, in a Ford.

Proceed at your own risk...gotta love it. [emoticon]
Sadly, DJ would have likely become a unfortunate statistic had he been unlucky enough to be in a Ford. [emoticon]

BTW Ben, if you need another off-road trip report fix, Janet and I are going to be doing Ophir Pass (11789 ft) and the Alpine Loop (Engineer Pass at 12800 ft and Cinnamon Pass at 12640 ft) in the San Juan Mountains starting on Saturday or Sunday. I don't know if anyone has done these high-altitude 4x4 routes and passes with a camper on board before, but we're really looking forward to the trip. Stay tuned.

Don
Sounds like a good time to me Don. Hope you and Janet have a great trip.
Thanks Ben

-'07 Dodge 3500/QC/SB/SRW/4x4/6.7L CTD/6-spd auto/35" Toyo MT's/Ride-Rite air bags/RS9000XL shocks
-'07 Apex 8 fully optioned w/220W solar/2 T-145's/2KW Prosine/Honda EU2000i/Tundra fridge/AC/etc
-'00 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4x4, highly modified w/5.9L Magnum V8

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/08 11:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

~DJ~ - What a fantastic posting! DH and I have been outfitting our Jeep ZJ to take this trail (amongst others). Glad to hear that you would go back in a heartbeat and that you had that chainsaw. We just bought one for that reason. We would have either a tent or PUP trailer forgoing our oh so nice TT. Going slow, maybe a PUP with high clearance would make it. Thank you, thank you, for posting this and the pictures too - a picture is worth a thousand words. Maybe next time take your trusty dog if you have one. A close friend of ours spent the night couple of Friday's back, near Beaver Creek off of Hwy 21 in the Cape Horn are West of Stanley in a tent with his dog. Middle of the night a pack of wolves ran through camp yipping and yapping at something. He had to hush his dog. Next morning, he headed out on his ATV loaded and towing a cargo trailer with essentials including a chain saw. His dog rode on the back with him. He took the road through the Frank Churck Wilderness area to Tin Cup, spent the next night and back again. Said he'd do it again in a heartbeat. I'll have to share this with him. Print it out. Take care and keep posting your great adventures so that it gives us courage to do the same.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/08 11:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more thing - we did the Owyhee Uplands Backcountry Byway and at the beginning there are warning of no services and all literature regarding it states to be well prepared as you WILL be alone. The condition of that road was a piece of cake compared to the MacGruder. And . . . we encountered farmers who homesteaded off of the Owyhee as well as hunters and a patrolmand with an ATV loaded on the back of his truck. We did that road in one day round trip from Grandview to Jordan Valley.

PaulJ2

Northwest Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/08 12:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

~DJ~, great trip report! Wife and I did that exact trip in 94 with a Mazda 4x4 pickup. We slept in the canopy in back, camped at the very same campground expecting nothing but piece and quiet. Lo and behold, a father and son pulled, set up a tent, and the younger one proceeded to turn on a loud stereo with the car doors open. My wife complained to the dad and he told son to turn it off, which they did. The spring water at that camp was the best we ever drank.
In the morning we said our goodbyes (apparently no hard feelings) and as we were preparing to leave, a guy and gal who had camped nearby, were taking off on their mountain bikes.
We bumped our way down the road as you did, overtook the bikes and were on our way. We also went up to Burnt Knob Lookout and enjoyed the views, and as we joined the main road again, the bikes passed us again. We overtook the bikers and spent the rest of the day on that road until we dropped down to the Selma River late in the afternoon, tired, hungry, and ready to set up camp like you did. While heading to the outhouse, my wife was startled to run smack into the bike gal!Amazing, they were right behind us! They must have ridden 50 miles on that rough road in one day. I guess that shows how slow we had to go on most of that route.
Again thanks for the report, and the pictures show the road looking exactly the same as in the summer of 94. It's like we just took the trip again!

Camp, Forrest, Camp!

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/08 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG - We just did the Owyhee Uplands Byway this year too. Very easy drive. I had no idea Idaho had Mahogany forests!

DJ - You mentioned that you scraped the carriers in a couple of places. Were they on the main road, or on the side roads? I've heard that the road to Burnt Knob Lookout is really rough.

-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

97Ford97Lance

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/08 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a great story. I went to school at MSU in Bozeman. That sure is some of the prettiest country. Thanks for sharing.
Chris

WoodsWanderer

Spokane Valley WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/08 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent photo-journalism story DJ. Thanks for the good laughs and insights.
Felt like we were along for the adventure.

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/08 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DJ,
I've had my eye on that route for a while. I felt like I was there in the passenger seat with your story. Good job all around.
I'd go with you any time.
regards, as always, jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/08 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK guys (and gals):

This one in my mind meets the Trip Reports Extreme Hard-Side TC Expeditions criteria I set for posts there.

I'm posting it forthwith!

Tremendous trip report, and excellent "from the driver's point perspective images" !!!!

Wow [emoticon]

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

BobTowne

Fairfield, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/08 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, great trip report and pics. I'm really envious. Thanks for sharing.

GreatWhite
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quadcab Dually
2004 Alpenlite Santa Fe 1150

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Magruder Corridor - Elk City ID to Darby MT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.