|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Alex and Julie Roamps to Utah part 3a

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/08 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Julie’s Roamps to Utah
White Rim Trail continue PartIIIa
All of 3a pictures HERE Part1 PartII PartIII

June 06,2008. Day two on the WRT at Airport site, its still raining all though not as heavy as last night. We are sitting here discussing if we should continue our trek on the WRT while having our morning coffee, not long after the first cup was consumed it was decided to go on. Gooseberry is where we would be headed for and then sees how the weather looks at that time. I’m hoping that this storm will be pretty much over by the time we reach Gooseberry.
[image]
Late last night a young couple rolled in their off road van, they were still asleep this morning as we left Airport. It was 50 degree this morning.
[image]
Leaving Airport
Also a group of bicyclists came last night during the downpour and hid out in the vaulted toilet until their chase truck showed up, this group was also still asleep as we left.
[image]
Sunshine didn’t have a chance this morning of being seen, overcast clouds were in command of the sky. The road was heading toward the rim of the canyon, as we got closer several waterfalls came into view.
[image]
Red Waterfall
Falling moisture was slowing down and I was taking this as a good sign that this storm is close to being over. Coming up to a curve in the road and a section of it has a slop in, this would be the biggest sideways lean we come across so far.
[image]
The Big Tilt
All when well navigating that section, then we came upon a large flat (somewhat) rock area and I lost sight of the road. Well the only thing to do was go straight ahead, which lead us to being off trail but I was able to find the marked road again. I had to back out the same way we came in since the drop off was too high for my truck.
[image]
It was good to be back on trail heading for Gooseberry, soon however there laid before us a large wash area. Humm shall we go for it, oh yes!
Crossing the Wash

There was no sudden rush of red laden water as we cross this wash; my wife and I have no desire to be sweep off the trail. Like with many parts of WRT it was slow going for us and the landscape was ever changing so no boring times during our travel.
[image]
After another rocky section the road tuned into a rutted dirt area which we could travel at higher speeds (15mph)
[image]

Making a roadside stop to stretch my legs I took a couple of photo of the plants. A few more mile and we are at Gooseberry.
[image]
The F-150 boys were up and discussing on what they were going to due today. I told them what was being said on the news about the ½ inch of rain that fell in less than 12 hours in Canyonlands area. I re-checked the camper tie downs, for some reason they kept loosing up even though the lock nuts were tight.
[image]
Off in the distance low slung clouds wrapped tightly around a plateau, rain had not fallen for a bit. Whitecrack was on list for our next stop, we said good-bye to the F-150 boys and putt along the road. While motoring towards Whitecrack a close look over the ledge from our truck was viewed.
[image]
Unfortunately it wasn’t long before we came head on with NP rangers coming from the Whitecrack area. They waved us to stop and informed us that Murrphy’s Hogback was closed for the couple of days, it was one big pile of mud. The rangers also informed us that from Hardscrabble to Mineral Bottom Road was also close for maybe a week due to the Green River flooding over the WRT section. I had asked about staying in Whitecrack, it was full with everyone who was heading beyond Whitecrack was holed up there and there was no way we would make it up Murrphy’s Hogsback in its present condition. That was bad enough, but when one of the rangers spotted a slice in my right rear tire, pretty good one too.
Well I could just wait for it to blow or change it out now, and then I wouldn’t have a spare. The decision was made to go back to Airport and head into Moab for a new tire, I asked the rangers if they knew a good place for tires it was Chip’s America Tires. They head out in front of us and were soon out of sight. Traveling back to Gooseberry seemed rather short; I guess it the road already traveled thing. From a distance we could the rangers vehicle was stopped at Gooseberry.
[image]
A quick stop was made there and a few more questions asked, the f-150 boy hadn’t left yet. They decided to pack it in and head home, so off we go again down the road. It seem new sights were coming to light, there’s something I didn’t spot on the way in and neither did my wife.
[image]
It looks like one of the mushroom character in Disney “ Fantasia.” A quick photo and off we go. We saw more bicyclists coming our way and I waved one of them down, telling them of the ranger ahead and the closing of Murrphys. Well it wasn’t long before their chase truck passed us coming and going.

As with a road once traveled we were at the place that has the biggest tilt that was conquered early today.
[image]
Back at the Big Tilt
Looks like the bicyclists are out in number today. We have arrived at Airport for another nightly stay. There’s a lot of sticky mud on the under carriage of the truck, I’ll have to find a self-sever carwash while in town and water blast a lot of mud off.
[image]
There was still some day light left and a few more photos were calling. A nice walk to the canyon rim was in order to see what can be captured.
[image]
[image]

With the sun rapidly running behind the mountain it was our clue to fix dinner and prepare for tomorrows journey out of Canyonlands to Moab. Will this be the last of seeing the WRT?

Part 3b coming soon

* This post was edited 08/08/08 12:38pm by c.traveler2 *

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/08 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C.Traveler2:

Wow! This just keeps getting better by the day!!! Man, you guys really hit the incredibly torrential rains while on the White Rim Trail, with your Lance.

Keep the photos coming, they're great.

Posted to Trip Reports,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Steve_in_29

St Johns, AZ (SEMPER FI)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/08 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice write up. Keep it coming.

That mud will stick with you for a while. I spent over $50 in quarters getting the mud off my truck during our trip. The other day I was washing off some mud from our recent deluge in 29 Palms and guess what started dropping out from under my truck....more red Utah mud.

2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/08 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve_in_29 wrote:

Nice write up. Keep it coming.

That mud will stick with you for a while. I spent over $50 in quarters getting the mud off my truck during our trip. The other day I was washing off some mud from our recent deluge in 29 Palms and guess what started dropping out from under my truck....more red Utah mud.
That's an understatement. We are still finding it and washing it off. When we got back from our Moab trip I spent a little better than an hour laying down under and beside the truck trying to wash that red mud off and I actually thought I got it all...Nope, we still see a little red mud in the driveway know and then. It's ok though because it reminds us of that incredible trip and takes us back in time. Nice write up Alex and Julie and the pictues are fantastic. [emoticon]

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

DonCurley

La Sal, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/08 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex,

Another great episode with lots of movies! Sorry you got turned back, but that is exactly what can happen in this area. Mix some rain with the lovely red dirt of Utah and you get what my wife and I colloquially refer to as "snot". It again reminds me of the really saturated and muddy conditions that Dave and his wife went through in January when Murphy Hogback and Hardscrabble Hill probably should have been closed by the park rangers from a safety perspective.

BTW, what you referred to as the "Big Tilt" was where we encountered some rental Jeepers in March that didn't quite understand yielding to uphill traffic (and when they finally did, not quite pulling far enough over to let us pass). In order to get around them, we had to do some significant side-hilling on the right where off-camber would have been a gross understatement.

In terms of loosening-up turnbuckles, we also experienced that. I'm sure it just has to do with the shifting of the camper in the bed with the jouncing about off-road. Once the camper position changes enough, some turnbuckles get loose and others get
tighter in the process.

Looking forward to Part 3b (you didn't drive across Musselman Arch as a finale did you?). [emoticon]

Speaking of Musselman Arch, check out this YouTube video of a guy riding his mountain bike across the arch ... not once, but twice ... and the second time he purposely bounces his bike. Potential Darwin Award stuff here:
Wild & Crazy Mountain Biker

Don

-'07 Dodge 3500/QC/SB/SRW/4x4/6.7L CTD/6-spd auto/35" Toyo MT's/Ride-Rite air bags/RS9000XL shocks
-'07 Apex 8 fully optioned w/220W solar/2 T-145's/2KW Prosine/Honda EU2000i/Tundra fridge/AC/etc
-'00 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4x4, highly modified w/5.9L Magnum V8

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/08 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don, I tried to get one of those bicyclist to just what was shown on that U-tube clip, there was no takers. I wasn't about to ride a bike myself,I don't bounce anymore at 56. Just to let you know I do have a little surprize 2 clips that will be posted in a near future posting..

As far as the stickie red mud, I'm still finding it hiding in places.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Alex and Julie Roamps to Utah part 3a
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.