|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Alex and Julie's Roamps to Utah- part IIIB

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/08 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Julie’s Roamps to Utah
PartIIIB
White Rim Trail…Airport to Potash Road to Moab
Al of part IIIB pictures start at frame 42
PartI, PartII, PartIII, PartIIIa

June 06,2008

It’s a bright morning without a cloud anywhere as far as we could see, a welcome change from all the rain we had on the WRT. Coffee seemed extra favorable with good weather ahead and a morning meal in our bellies. We headed out towards Shafer Trail thinking about climbing out that way.
[image]
Leaving Airport
The monolith as we motored on passed stood taller than what I remembered coming in.
[image]
On our way in we did a drive by photo of Lanthrop Rd., this time a stop was done. I walked the road for a little ways just to check some of it out and from what I could see it may have been OK for our truck to transverse, unless there was some surprise I couldn’t see from here.
[image]
[image]
A few more pictures taken and that old song kept coming to us again “on the road again” and having to crawl up hill.
[image], [image],[image]
View from the top
Snow capped La Sal mountains stood off in the distance glistening from the morning sol like a lady with fine jewels.
[image]
Many section of WRT that we had traversed a couple days ago had gotten more rugged.
[image]
Little Wash Crossing
Potash turnoff was just ahead, we’ll be stopping there for a break.
[image]
While taking our break at the nexus of WRT, Shafer and Potash, it was time to check the injured tire and so far it has bulge out a little bit from the side wall slice. Potash Rd looked like the best way to go as this point, as I really didn’t want to change a blow out on Shafer.
[image]
Potash Rd.
Off down Potash we traveled with plenty of room for truck and camper, a little bump or twist in the road but starting out smoother than WRT.
[image]
Not far from this photo stop(below) is Shafer campsite.
[image]
Making a short stop at Shafer campsite, for there were people and my wife needed a pit stop. These people were the first humans we have seen this morning, a little small talk with them, they were out for a day trip into Canyonlands. I informed them of the trail conditions that we have seen. Back to our journey of getting to Moab and enjoying the scenery as we motor through Potash, indeed the road made a turn on us and it decided to run the creek bed for a short distance.
[image]
Running through the Creek
There was a pretty good drop off(for us), I had to take it real slowwww going over that part. I was watching the rear making it down off that drop and how close the Troklifts came to scraping, picture was take using driver side mirror.
[image]
A critter (squirrel) was checking us out as we cruised on by, I could have sworn he said, “ Have seen my cousin Chip”
[image]
[image]

We are now officially leaving Canyonlands and entering the BLM section of Potash Rd. My wife manage to catch this Turkey Vulture rest or was it looking for a easy meal?
[image]
We started seeing several Jeeps traveling towards Canyonlands on Potash, getting too crowded already. Not all of Potash Rd was hugging hillsides or down in a valley.
[image]
Here we are passing along Potash Ponds with La Sal Mountains in the background.
[image]
Finally making to Hwy 279, a locomotive heads towards Potash running next to Hwy 279.
[image]
You never can tell when one may come across a new sight, as this arch next to Hwy 279 and right across from BLM’s Gold Bar campsite.
[image]
The drive was short and before long we’re crossing the Colorado River into Moab.
[image]
Once at Chip’s America tire center a new tire was bought and installed in less than an hour. I got directions to the local self serve car wash which happen to be across the way from City Market. Tonight we’ll stay at Spanish Trail RV park and for tomorrow adventure its off to Archers NP.

Part 4; Archer’s National Park coming soon.

* This post was edited 08/10/08 03:53pm by c.traveler2 *

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/08 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm enjoying the pictures and commentary. Very sorry you were not able to complete the White Rim Trail. Hopefully you can try again another time. It really is well worth the effort and a trip that I would love to do again...thanks for taking us back. [emoticon]

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

jim87vette

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/08 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pics and vids thanks again for sharing.

08 GMC 3500 Dually Duramax
96 Chevy 2500 6.5
05 Yamaha Rhino
04 Gearbox 335FS 5er 14k wet

FreeLanceing

Grand Haven Mi

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/08 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a fellow member of the 815 club you make me proud. Great photos, keepon truck campin.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/08 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...it's been in TR from the day you posted! Nice documentary photos!!

...the WRT/Shafer maps are coming along. Don and I are away (I till next weekend; Don's on his own expedition!). We're working via private e-mail on said. I'm attempting a virtual-reality 3D spinnable map of WRT and Shafer...will keep those posted when done.

No more tying up or hi-jacking of C.Traveler's posts! Looking forward to next part: Part 4 Arches [emoticon]

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/08 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thoroughly enjoying your trip especially the videos. Glad you had the guts to take a hard side through. Seeing all your photos just makes us want to pack up and head back out to Utah again.

Joe

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

DonCurley

La Sal, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/08 01:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex,

We just got back from our latest expedition last evening, so I am getting caught up on your WRT installments that I missed in the interim. Another great set of photos & videos.

In terms of the Lathrop Canyon road, there are indeed some "surprises" down further than you looked. That's short wheel base Jeep territory and I wouldn't even take my pop-up camper in there with my jacks removed.

Looking at your shot of how close your Torklifts got to scraping (as you were dropping down into the wash bed on the Potash Road) is one of the reasons I prefer the Happijac system for more challenging off-road operations.

By the way, in that photo you took of the La Sal Mountains while you were passing the evaporation ponds at the Potash site (which is now exclusively used for NaCl salt production) ... we live on the southern slopes of the last mountain to the right.

Glad to hear that you made it to Moab OK for your new tire. Many of the locals also use Chip's place for their tire needs, as he is quite the institution for that (especially with all of the Jeeps and other 4WD vehicles that flock to the area for the hard core 4x4 trails, where tire destruction is a pretty routine occurrence).

Don

-'07 Dodge 3500/QC/SB/SRW/4x4/6.7L CTD/6-spd auto/35" Toyo MT's/Ride-Rite air bags/RS9000XL shocks
-'07 Apex 8 fully optioned w/220W solar/2 T-145's/2KW Prosine/Honda EU2000i/Tundra fridge/AC/etc
-'00 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4x4, highly modified w/5.9L Magnum V8

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Alex and Julie's Roamps to Utah- part IIIB
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.