|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Alex and Julie Romps to Utah-PartV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/08 01:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Julie’s Romps to Utah
Part V
Dead Horse Point State Park, Long Canyon, Pucker Pass and back to Shafer Trail
All of part 5 picture at Travelingman2
Past TC Trip reports post at Truck Camper Trip Reports

June 08,2008. It’s a great morning, free camping and view that can’t be beat.
[image]
There was only two RV’s here, us and the other guy, how much longer that this place will be free is going to be on the short list with a pay use station and vaulted toilet being built. Today we travel to Dead Horse Point to ponder over the well know outlook.
Pic4[image]
Video; Headed to Dead Horse SP
It’s a few miles of open range area before arriving at the visitor center, where fees, a book was bought and information exchanged.
[image]
We wandered aimless outside, then over to the walled overlook trail near the visitor center. From here we did see the Potash Ponds in the distance, on a day this clear it would be hard to miss that bright blue against dark brown soil.
[image]
Many years have gone by since the walk way wall was built and face of those people have been long forgotten, but their name won’t be.
[image]
After spending sometime here seeing the sights, we drove out to the main overlook.
[image]
Arriving early to Dead Horse was a good thing to do, it was already showing signs of becoming a busy area.
[image]
Out on the Point I spotted these arches across the vast chasm, no one there seem to know their names, if they had any. Later today we’ll be back on Potash Road and I’ll try to spot them from down on the road.
[image]
Dead Horse premier outlook without a doubt earned its worldwide reputation for it viewing area.
[image]
Time is always moving and there never seems to be enough, so we got moving. Driving out of Dead horse in search of the turn off for Long Canyon and the famous Pucker Pass Rock.
[image]
A few miles outside of Dead Horse boundary we found Long Canyon turn off and started another new adventure.
[image]
Video; Long Canyon Turn off
As we traveled along a SUV blew passed us with Florida plates, we did catch up with them later. La Sal mountains displayed prominently in the distance with its shrinking snowcap.
[image]
Long Canyon RD runs parallel with Dead Horse Point State Park boundary, during this time I spied several area that were marked for camping on the BLM side of the road. Not long after these campsites travel took a down ward turn into a narrow valley.
[image]
Video:Long Canyon
There were the folks from Florida in the middle of the canyon road, once I got close enough I could see that he was working on the road with his wife watching on. Of course I got out to help him with repairing the road, it had a large drop off that look as if run off had washed it away. Not long we had it good enough to use. I guide him down, it still was tricky going, with them passed this spot I thought he would guide me down, nope, he didn’t let the door hit him in the ass and gone in a cloud of dust.
Julie guided me down, it would have been a good video, after take care of that little road dip a Ford truck came up the canyon road, the driver and I talked a bit about road conditions from his direction. He would have no problems getting over that spot behind us, this road is getting busy another Ford SUV was coming up, a young man with his family (in the above video). I told him about the drop off up ahead for him and I didn’t believe his SUV could get passed it. Julie and I stayed to make he made it over that bad area and as I thought his SUV was just too low, hanging up on the under carriage.
[image]
Well he turned around and went back from were he came . To my surprise he came walking back after parking his SUV around the bend, He want to help me get through and under Pucker Pass.
[image]
Video: Pucker Pass
Taking a walk thru and eye balling the space inside of the rock, yep I think I can do it.
[image]
Video: TC under Pucker Pass1 Video: TC under Pucker Pass2

The young man from Colorado did a fine job of guiding me through the hole in Pucker Pass, standing beside his vehicle I’d thanked him again and wished him and his family a good journey.
[image]
Long Canyon Road snakes around inside a narrow valley. On the way down I saw a sign indicating a Bighorn Sheep watering hole area, further down the road there was a couple of seniors walking the road. They told us that the end of the road was a couple of miles away.
[image]
Back on Hwy 279 heading towards Potash Road. When we had came on Potash earlier I didn’t get a photo of this high rise locomotive.
[image]
Driving back to Canyonlands seem like going to visit a old friend, before long we were at the area where we could see Dead Horse Point overlook. I looked for those arches that were spotted earlier today, didn’t see them.
[image]
Driving into Canyonlands on Potash Rd. would be a good way for larger TC’s to enter and have some of the flavor of the White Rim Trail.
Approaching the boundary of Canyonlands (we’re here already!)
[image]
Video[emoticon]anyonlands
On the way in we saw a couple of bicyclist heading out of Canyonlands enjoying their trek on this fine day. Traveling back to the WRT and Shafer made Julie a little nervous, but she was still going for it. A short time later we made the intersection of WRT, Potash and Shafer for the haul up to the visitor center.
[image]
There it is, Shafer Trail switch back to the top, I already know it will be a slow going with 4 wheels low all the way.
[image]
Other vehicles passed us up on the way up with our slow speed I wouldn’t even want to behind me.
[image]
Traveling slowly up hill reminded of some of those early truckers having to climb the Rocky Mountain road in some of the old movies. Sometime later reaching the main road with the fan clutch kicking in several times on the way up creating a dust storm around our TC.
[image]
Making our way over to the visitor center to get an update on Murphy’s Hogbacks and the Green River side of the WRT. Rangers told us that Murphy’s was still in bad shape and Green River was still flooding a piece of Hardscrabble area of WRT. With this information we headed back to our BLM site of last night. Night was almost here, sun setting soon. In the morning we are going down Mineral Bottom Road, for now it dinner time.
[image]

Part VI coming soon Mineral Bottom road

* This post was edited 08/21/08 11:09am by c.traveler2 *

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/08 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for taking the time to post your photos and video. We didn't have the nerve to do what you two are doing so it's fun to ride along with you. Did you find Silversand's tripod at Dead Horse?

Joe

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

Not a Clue

Southern Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/08 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pictures, thanks

Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/08 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! Thanks for sharing your trips. How tall is your rig? (I'm wondering if mine would fit thru Pucker Pass.)

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/08 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for another great update...[emoticon]

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

Steve_in_29

St Johns, AZ (SEMPER FI)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/08 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another interesting read with great pics/vids.

2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/08 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiger 4x4RV, sorry about taking so long to reply to your question about the height of my camper,its 113 inches tall with the over loads engaged and 92 inches wide from jack pad to pad. I would suggest that you come up from Hwy 279, Potash RD, this way you can easy turn around in front of PP if you can't slide under PP. There is also another concern and that is the washout spot on the uphill side (200-300ft) from PP that we had transversed,here's a clip I found on u-tube that shows that spot,Pucker Pass-U-Tube Clip. You could find yourself in a pickle if you came in from that direction.

Regards..Alex

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/08 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...you'll need to pack a pig-iron pry bar as standard equipment on this trail...just in case [emoticon]

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Alex and Julie Romps to Utah-PartV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.