|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Alex and Julie's Romps to Utah-part VI

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/08 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Julie’s Romps to Utah
Part VI
Mineral Bottom Road, Green River and White Rim Trail
All of part 6 pictures HERE
Past TC Trip report,Romps to Utah

June 09,2008. It’s a gorgeous morning as most of them have been, again we spent the night at the free BLM area near Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point State Park.
[image]
This time we had neighbors to share this wonderful place with and like many of the foreign visitors in the Moab area they were from Germany.
[image]
Today adventure will be traveling to the White Rim Trail on the Green River side using Mineral Bottom road to get there, we’ll see how far we get.
[image]
Video: Heading for Mineral Botom Road
The drive from where camped was a short one and down Mineral Bottom we went.
[image]
Mineral Bottom road is a grade dirt road that’s looks well maintain, on the way in we came across two horses in the middle of the road.
[image]
Video[emoticon]orses in middle of road
Traveling on this road was great, fairly smooth. It wasn’t long and we came to Mineral Bottom switchbacks.
[image]
Video: Mineral Bottom Switch Backs
We could clearly see where the road would take us and the Green River was just beyond.
[image]
[image]
Making the turn to WRT on the BLM land heading to Canyonlands, from what we had drove so far it was a easy drive. We got this wonderful view of the valley with the Green River lined with shrubs, trees and grasses.
[image]
Canyonlands boundary was just ahead and across the gate we went.
[image]
Video: Canyonlands WRT
Here came a group bicyclist, first ones of the day for us. Stopping and talking to their chase truck driver he informed us that Green River in still flooding WRT in the Hardscrabble area and he couldn’t drive across for it was too deep for his truck. With this in mind we headed on.
Driving a little farther up and finding a pullout, for I wanted to walk the road ahead to check out any problems such as overhangs that could rip the side of my camper.
[image]
Walking to Labyrin campsite wasn’t all that long, along the way we saw how close Green River was to topping over WRT in this area.
[image]
While at Labyrin I took in the beauty of the place and thought this was indeed a good spot for a campsite near the river.
[image]
It was time to head back to our truck, to see if we can really make it on that part of the road. It could get interesting if I can’t get the camper past one questionable spot, well he we are back in the truck and heading towards Labyrin on a narrow road.
[image]
Video[emoticon]RT on Green River A and WRT on Green River B
My wife guided me along the narrowest section of the road and there wasn’t a lot of room left overhead.
[image]
Made it by that tight spot and around the road past Labyrin campsite heading to what I believe is the Hardscrabble area/region. Like many areas that we have drove the road turned sandy and got lower to the river.
[image]
Our truck has no problem driving on this road and we came to the end of the road for it was flooded over.
[image]
Video: End of the Road
Checking out the water overflow depth and being without a winch I decided not to chance it, for the sand felt even softer around the flooded area. I backed out and turned around driving back through another sandy wash.
[image]
Video: Sandy Wash
During our drive back to Labyrin we decided to go down Taylor Canyon and se Zeus and Moses.
[image]
Video: Taylor Canyon Road
Getting to Taylor Canyon campsite was done fairly quickly having to transverse 3 sand washes to get there.
[image]
Here we are at Taylor Canyon campsite with Zeus and Moses in the background, if you look closely you’ll see the Moon above Moses.
[image]
This is when I noticed something didn’t look right about the upper section of the camper, upon closer inspection I found 3 holes oval shaped hole about than 1 inch across and some sheet metal ripple. It wasn’t so much that it did happen but where? Oh wale no sense in crying over spilled milk, so out come the foil tape (great stuff) and in jiffy I’ve covered the holes. Time I finished that my Julie had lunch ready and eating it came to me where it happen, going through that last wash before arriving here I did brush along a pinyon pine maybe a little too close.
[image]
On the way out we made a stop at the suspected tree and sure enough someone had pruned a branch up high a long time ago, for the soft foliage had grown around and hid it from being seen when coming into the canyon. Continuing on out of Taylor Canyon to WRT and that no more encounters happens.
[image]
Video:Leaving Taylor Canyon
Well here we are again, sliding pass that overhang and this time it was easer since I was on the road’s edge side I could cut outside better.
[image]
We did a close encounter, but of the good kind. For we ran into Ranger Robert Wallace, he is the one who issued our back road permit, who answered our questions upon return to the visitor center about Murphy’s Hogsback and now we run into him out here (I think he’s following us [emoticon])
[image]
He backed his vehicle out to a pull out spot so we could get by.
[image]
Video: Ranger Robert Wallace
We had missed this deteriorating critter corral on the way in, signs of days gone by.
[image]
It was a quick trip back up the switchback road and look what’s in the middle of the road! Yes those horses again, I think that they own this road.
[image]
Video: Horses again!
A day that was well worth trip into WRT via Mineral Bottom Road and seeing the wonderful sights of nature. We are going to stay at Arch View tonight and well be making our way back to California tomorrow the same way we came.
[image]
Picture above are some good folks from Germany, during our stay in the Moab area we had come across many people from Germany and other foreign. The main thing that I remember when talking to our guess is how friendly Americans are and how much access we have to our National Park, which are very restrictive were they come from.

Part 7 and final,coming soon.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/08 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taylor camp was our last night on the WRT. Did you take the hike up to Moses and Zues? Makes me want to go back... [emoticon]

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/08 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, we didn't hike out to Zeus and Moses, just ate lunch there and enjoyed the view.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/08 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...on the edge of my seat!

It's in Trip Reports now...

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/08 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again thanks for taking the time to put up your trip reports. Makes us want to jump in the TC and head back out west. Smart move on not crossing that soft sandy wash. Couple of places we saw wrecked, rusted out hulks of cars/trucks that got tumbled down washes. Sometimes smarter is safer!

Anne

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Alex and Julie's Romps to Utah-part VI
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.