RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Alex and Julie's Romps to Utah-last report

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Alex and Julie's Romps to Utah-last report

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/08 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Julie’s Romps to Utah
Part VII
Returning Home, Backtracking on Hwy12
Last report

Part 7 PICTURES
Reports: 1, 2, 3,3A, 3B, 4, 5, 6

June 06, 2008

After a good night sleep we woke up to the alarm clock, it was the first time I’d set it since we started our adventure into the Moab area. It seems too early to be reminded that the flame of our trip was soon to be extinguished and the return to mundane of 9 to 5 of every day life will be upon us. Our neighbors haven’t stirred as of yet and like many travelers haven’t needed a clock to be awaken by. Breakfast and the morning smell of coffee warms my belly, with that behind us its time to pull anchor, wake the diesel from its slumber and most likely wake the neighbors. All ready approaching I-70 for the westbound route, traffic is sparse and the day is clear with no end in sight.
[image]
Hwy 24 turn off was too soon upon us and the trip south was the same as going north. It isn’t until we arrive in Hanksville before any real traffic is happening, even that isn’t much
[image] [image]

Fremont River was soon tagging along Hwy 24, for me I needed to stretch my legs. My Julie spotted a turn out up ahead, it wasn’t long before we had a lot of company. This is a popular stopping place with a small waterfall, of course I grabbed my camera and made the climb down to shoot some footage.
[image]
Video: Waterfall
Another horde of young kids invaded the area, as it was a geology class making this one of their “must” see places.
[image]
Video: Fremount Waterfall
Back to the TC for a morning coffee break and down the road to Hickman Bridge for a short hike.
[image]
It was an uphill journey, an easy one with stepping stone stairs that lead to a dirt path that was well worn.
[image]
One can never tell about the character’s on a beaten path along the way.
[image]
With many shady areas to pass through the heat of the early afternoon was mild. Very few people were here to take in the sight of the local landscape, as we approached Hickman Bridge the path became a loop that circle navigate Hickman Bridge.
[image]
Choosing straight ahead this brought us to the backside of the bridge, from part of this walk we could see a small section of Hwy24. Resting here for a while for there was no hurry s it was a short walk and a pleasant one.
[image]
Video: Hickman Bridge
A few more hikers have shown up and it was time again for us to get moving.
[image]
From the parking area one can see Capitol Dome, I think they should rename it “Conehead Dome” for it had reminded me of that movie.
[image]
Our next stop would be back at Wildcat visitor center and find an overnite spot. We were directed to a place down the road and it turned out to be a fine place. Before leaving to our place to stay I was able to snap a photo of a Humming Bird at the feeder.
[image]
Pines with a view surround our place for the night.
[image]
[image]
We had peaceful night and after a long day sleep came easy, morning arrive too soon. It was a chilly morning, temperatures dropped down into the high 30’s and a good breakfast was in order. Once all the morning choirs were done it was time again to get down the road. On the way out a Utah Parrie dog was spotted and I bare got this shot of it.
[image]
Driving back on a familiar road was relaxing and the surrounding landscape was a feast for our eyes. Several small towns rolled by and it wasn’t long before we were at the famous Hogsback on Hwy12.
[image]
Video: Hogsback 12
With Bryce coming up we made a stop inside the park, for we had been here before and remember the wondrous sculptures of Mother Nature. On the way out, my wife said” Didn’t you want to see Mossy Cave”? Off to Mossy Cave we went, parking was easy to do.
[image]
Mossy Cave trail walk is easy one to under take and a pleasure to make. With a easy walk and a waterfall throw in as well
[image]
Video: Mossy Cave Waterfall
[image]
Video-Mossy Cave

Our adventure into Utah’s Moab area have given us memories that will draw us back again for those unforgettable sights.

This is the last chapter of our expedition to Utah and it eye popping sights and here I would like to give my personnel thanks to some fellow Tcer’s for answering many of questions in my planning of the White Rim Trail Expedition part of our adventure.

Thanks;
Don Curley
Steve From 29
Nembo667
Whazoo

My thanks to all that have read my Truck camper report
Alex Blasingame, aka c.traveler2

* This post was last edited 10/11/08 03:19pm by c.traveler2 *   View edit history

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/08 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great trip report Alex & Julie! A trip you will never forget no doubt. I feel certain that Tory and I will be back in Utah before too long. We would leave today if work allowed...

Thanks for posting [emoticon]

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/08 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. ">

DonCurley

La Sal, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/08 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex,

What a wonderful trip for you and Julie. I enjoyed all of your write-ups, photos, and movies ... which gave me and my wife a chance to revisit a lot of our favorite spots here in Utah. In our case, we were so impressed with the sights and backcountry trekking & camping opportunities in southern Utah over the years that we finally said goodbye to California and moved here for the duration (and have never regretted that decision).

By the way, you wondered out loud in your Hickman Bridge video that you weren't sure what the difference was between a bridge and an arch. While the outcome many times looks quite similar, a bridge is formed by an active water source (such as a creek or drainage), where it literally erodes the opening in the sandstone. On the other hand, an arch is more typically formed through weathering ... such as rain, freeze-thaw processes (causing cracking), wind, etc.

Glad to have been of help.

Cheers!
Don

-'07 Dodge 3500/QC/SB/SRW/4x4/6.7L CTD/6-spd auto/35" Toyo MT's/Ride-Rite air bags/RS9000XL shocks
-'07 Apex 8 fully optioned w/220W solar/2 T-145's/2KW Prosine/Honda EU2000i/Tundra fridge/AC/etc
-'00 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4x4, highly modified w/5.9L Magnum V8

jmckelvy

North Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/08 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report. I have followed it from the beginning.

Thanks for taking the time to post.[emoticon]

06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/08 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great stuff. I'm always amazed at the difference in perspective we get with these trip reports.
regards, as always, jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Alex and Julie's Romps to Utah-last report
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.