|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Death Valley,Ca.-part 1

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/08 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Death Valley, Ca.
Part 1
Oct. 3,2008
All of part one pictues

Getting those last minute items loaded up for our trek into Death Valley, Ca. This will be our second adventure here and this time we will head to more of the northern areas. We also will be going were a 4 wheel drive is needed.
[image]
As always we take a back-up ice chest, which on this trip we would need. Lucky for us our friends own a hamburger place and we can raid their ice machine anytime. Getting there one has to get thru the construction on Sunnymead Blvd.
[image]
After loading up the ice chest and a quick but satisfying breakfast we made our way to the I-60 west and on to I-15 north. A fuel stop was done in Barstow due to the fact it was cheaper there than back in town. Next stop was Baker, were we paused our forward motion and picked up a couple of lotto tickets.
[image]
Video: Barstow
I wasn’t sure about the mileage to our turn off at Harry Wade Rd., as it came into being it was easy enough to find. Dumont Dunes was a few miles from our turn off.
[image]
Video: Harry Wade Road

Harry Wade Rd was not bad at all, only a few sections required 4wheel drive. Spectacular views of the distance Owlshead Mountains could be seen the entire length of Harry Wade Rd and continues beyond Badwater Rd.
At one point we stopped due to a vehicle, unoccupied, as it turn out a geologies was surveying a near by dry river.
[image]
Easy driving made for a fairy quick arrival at Badwater Rd and our tourist stop at Ashford Mills ruins.
[image]
[image]
From here we drove non-stop to Furnace Creek where we would be for the night. We picked site #4 for it faced the setting sun and we were treated to a spectacular sunset.
[image]
Day2
Morning arrived too soon, coffee was need to get the blood going for the activities we have planned for today. My Julie made a great egg scrabble with lots of coffee, a good combination.
[image]
Video: Furance Creek Campground
Pulling up anchor we drove over to the visitor center to buy our maps and get a visitor pass. Again buying the America the Beautiful Pass on our trip to Utah has proven to be a good buy. Today our destination is Inyo Mine in Echo Canyon.
[image]
Video: Echo Canyon Road
[image]

We were here two years ago and got stuck at the beginning of the canyon itself, this time that isn’t going to be a problem.
[image]
Video: Echo 1
[image]
Video[emoticon]cho2
A lot of barrel cactus were in good showing along our route to Inyo Mine which didn’t take long to reach.
[image]
There was another couple already there doing plenty of picture taking. We didn’t waste anytime riffling thru the buildings. Several of the structure were in pretty good shape.
[image]
Video: Inyo Mine
Humm, a little paint, new windows and some interior work, this would make a good winter get away. I could only guess at the hardships these miner of gone by days had gone thru. Some of the mine was interesting looking such as the engine that powered the ore grinder.
[image]
After awhile we headed further into Echo Canyon till we reached end of the road.
36deg 29’ 44”N/ 116deg 41’ 04”W
[image]
It was time to be making our way out of Echo Canyon, like on many of our trips one always see new things when back tracking on the same road. A pitstop was made at the Eye of the Neddle.
36deg 28’ 0”N/ 116deg 45’ 32”W
[image]
Once out of Echo Canyon we went to Beatty,NV, not only to re-fuel but also to see Rhyolite ghost town and travel Titus Canyon the next day. On the way to Beatty we just had to take a photo of Death Valley sign.
[image]
Finished with our business in Beatty we located a boondocking spot off Hwy374 and with the rain coming in it turn out to be a good place.
36deg 54’ 32N/ 116deg 47’ 09”W
[image]
Video: Boondocking and Rain Storm
The next report will be of Rhyolite and Titus Canyon.
To my fellow travelers my all your trips and sights be beautiful.

* This post was edited 01/26/09 01:17pm by c.traveler2 *

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/08 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice report.

I just have to get out that way. It seems so interesting from a historical perspective.

Thanks for sharing!!!

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/08 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool tyrip. Where did you get the information you used to plan your trip? Also, were you allowed to park offroad within the confines of the Death Valley area, and what did you use for maps when planning your side trips?

John

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/08 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool trip. Where did you get the information you used to plan your trip? Also, were you allowed to park off road within the confines of the Death Valley area, and what did you use for maps when planning your side trips?

John

kcabpilot

CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/08 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ctrav - did you guys go up to the Racetrack, which is where those self moving mystery rocks are? I always figured that would be a pretty spooky place to boondock overnight.

1994 Lance 990 on 1997 F350 PSD Dually "Rhino Haunches"

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/08 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JUrban, there is dispersing camping thru out Death Valley,I had downloaded a Pdf map file off of Death Valley website as well as getting maps from the visitor center. Also there are several Death valley trip reports posted at Truck Camper Reports .

kcabpilot,we did see the "racetrack" and walked out on it. I'll be writing a report on that part of our trip,there is dry camping 3 miles south of "racetrack" and it was quiet with a half moon.

jmckelvy

North Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/08 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great photos and trip report. I followed all of your Utah trip earlier. You do a great job of documenting the trips.

How do you get so much time for these great trips? Are you retired?

Thanks for posting.

06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/08 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Julie,
Wonderful trip report. It takes me back about 6 months to our trip with Rick W. over many of these same venues. Did you air down at all? That washboard can rattle your fillings right out.
I assume it was not hot. Those clouds look so menacing, yet rain rarely hits the ground. Just so you don't camp at the very bottom of the washes.
Looking forward to the next part.
regards, as always, jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/08 11:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmckelvy, over the years with my empolyer I've builted up a pile of time off.

Jefe 4x4, I didn't have deflate my tires at this point of the trip, coming in on Harry Wade Rd the wash boarding wasn't that bad.

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/08 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You two sure know how to use your time off wisely. The last time I was in Furnace Creek I was a pup. I need to make another swing through and touch those bases again...thanks for posting Alex. [emoticon]

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Death Valley,Ca.-part 1
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.