|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Death Valley,Ca. part 2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/08 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Death Valley, Ca.
Part 2
Oct. 5,2008
All part 2 pictures
part 1 report

Morning comes around all too soon, its quiet outside. Our near by rock outcrop is holding back the brightness of the morning sun while while coffee is percolating to its peck of perfection. Julie is busy cooking breakfast while I step out to snap a couple of morning photos.
[image]
Coolness was present this morning for inside the camper it was 55 degree when woke. I enjoy quiet of the morning and after a fine breakfast it was time to travel on to Rhyolite.
[image]
Video:Going to Rhyolite
Rhyolite being a short drive from our boon-docking place and being early there were very few people there.
[image]
Video: Rhyolite
From the road going into Rhyolite we could see the town in the distance
[image]
Our first stop was the open-air museum, which we didn’t know was there.
A. Szukal manufactured these ghostly white statues that depict his version
of “The Last Supper”.
[image]
Not all of his works were of this nature as shown by a tall standing miner and his side kick, that somewhat resemble a penguin.
[image]
Moving on towards the beginnings of Rhyolite we found this plaque in the dirt.
[image]
A sign showing the way to Tom Kelly Bottle house, build out of all kinds of bottles.
[image]
[image]
Video: Tom Kelly's glass bottle house
Blm had a site host at the bottle house, watch the video for the narrative of Tom Kelly’s Bottle house. Down the street was more old time ruins of days gone by, which we headed to. Our first building was a general store by the name of HD&LD Porter-1906
[image]
I wander around taking pictures of the different buildings. One building stood out among the others, it was a bank, Cooks Bank, once was a tall 3 story structure that must have caught the eye of many visitors.
[image]
[image]
Video: Cook's Bank
Making our way up to the next building was the train station, to our dismay it is behind a chain link fence. To my thinking it must be structurally unsafe. It looked fine from the outside.
[image]
http://travelingman2.smugmug.com/gallery/6295498_8YYuX//#398283937_7dFdr-A-LB
Of course a town of this size just got to have a jail and we weren’t disappointed
[image]
Video: Leaving Rhyolite
From the jail we drove out of Rhyolite heading off to our next adventure of Titus Canyon.
[image]
Back at Hwt374, to the left is Beatty and Titus Canyon is a short drive to the right.
[image]
Video: Entering Titus Canyon
12:00PM
It didn’t take long to far into Titus Canyon Road, wash boarding was light and there were signs of some road damage from the thunderstorm that rolled thru the night before. Titus Canyon road run slightly up hill and straight until we reached the mountains, that all changed.
[image]
Video: Titus Canyon
During our journey thru Titus Canyon this was the only real tight spot, a rock was blocking part of the road on the right and there was enough room to slide passed it.
[image]
[image]
Above picture is of the driver side looking down the hillside. Once in the mountain section the road snake all around. Off in the distance I could see the road going up to Red Pass, I was thinking it wouldn’t long before getting there. What did I say earlier about this road snaking around on its self.
[image]
After awhile the road started showing some red in it and was heading upward. We made Red pass after a few more miles and the view from there was just outstanding.
[image]
Video: Red Pass
It was a shame, but we had to get going but the view down was awesome. On the way road wise it was a little more rocker here plus at this point I could see what looked like Leadfield.
[image]
Video: Rocky Road
Here at Leadfield we’re over half way thru Titus Canyon, it did feel good to get out and stretch our legs.
[image]
Video:Leadfield Mine
Leadfield build are across a dry wash from where had parked, this required us to cross the wash to get up close to the buildings.
[image]
The two main building have sheet metal skins that rust thru in many places. One was what appeared to be a bunkhouse, the other building was a storage area with two large door on opposite sides of the building to move equipment inside or out.
[image]
The existing mine has bat bars across the entrance to keep people out. I wouldn’t want to go inside a mine or cave with bats calling it home.
[image]
Like many good things it was time again to say goodbye to this place where people of our past tried to carve out a living in this canyon. Back in the TC and raising dust as we motored down the dirt road.
[image]
At last we enter the official part of Titus Canyon and get to Klare Spring. A lot of vegetation grows here. Also there is a sign about petroglph here, unfortunely the griffi dogs have destroyed any sign of those petroglyph. Klare Springs was interesting with all the growth.
[image]
We have reached the Narrows section of Titus, this turns out to be a fun part of the canyon to run. With the walls of the canyon closing in making more slot like yet still plenty wide for even larger TCs.
[image]
Video: Narrows1
Running this section got more as the wall came closer and more curves to it.
[image]
Video:Narrows 2
Here we are, the end of a excellent adventure and gazing upon vast expansion that lay before us.
[image]
[image]
From here it was to Mesquite Spring Campground for a nights stay. Once there we pick site #4 for we could see the near by mountains out our back door.
[image]
With only 4 campers in the whole place it was real quiet. Just a side note, the RV dump is set up in the proper way with fresh water and non- potable water to flush your tanks out.
This is the end of this report, we are sitting down to a steak dinner and enjoying a great sunset, for tomorrow we go to Racetrack.
[image]

To my fellow travelers may the road be good and your sight be wondrous

* This post was edited 10/22/08 09:14am by c.traveler2 *

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

CISCO8325

Peoria,az.

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/08 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nice pictures, you think if I swing by the wife can make me some breakfast? LOL

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/08 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I loved revisiting Titus with your pictures. It was raining last I went and made for some deep mud on the downhill stretch just before the climb to Red Pass. Luckily the climb up did not have mud or I would still be there. Great pics. [emoticon]

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/08 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...it looks like a round of 12-gauge #7 hit that Rhyolite sign some time ago [emoticon]

...it's now in Trip Reports!

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

jim87vette

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/08 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Headed down the road to Death Valley in the am,thanks for sharing can't wait to see it all.

08 GMC 3500 Dually Duramax
96 Chevy 2500 6.5
05 Yamaha Rhino
04 Gearbox 335FS 5er 14k wet

jmckelvy

North Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/08 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As usual, great report and photos. Thanks for posting.

I have got to stop reading these during lunch at work though! Wish I could join you.

Jim

06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/08 12:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wonderful stuff. You were in shirt sleeves, didn't look too hot or too cold. Actually it's a good time of year to go, and for you, by default.
regards, as always, jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/08 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Titus Canyon is my favorite drive in Death Valley. Went through there in March this year and have been through many times in years past. My little CRV handles it with no problems and as your pictures show you get some great views from the top of Red Pass. Thanks for posting. We will probably be going back next March.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

RenoAl

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/08 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great write up and pictures.
Good luck and good camping.

2005 Dodge 3500 DRW:Firestone air bags w/ in dual cab control, Rancho 9000, Helwig sway bar, 55 gal fuel tank, cold air box
2005 Lance 1191: generator, TV, A/C, solar
Bayliner 19.5 Capri & 12 ft. Gregor
1965 TBird
Rosie the dog

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/08 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jefe 4x4 we couldn't have asked for better weather, we had a couple of mornings that were on the cool side but not what we would consider cold.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Death Valley,Ca. part 2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.