RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: RV Waste Valve 101??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> RV Waste Valve 101??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/08 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Somebody school me on RV dump valves. Mine has worked fine for 12 years. Then the other day after we dumped the large black water valve did not close all the way. At least the push/pull handle does not go all the way back into the valve like it used to. It stops about 1/2" to 3/4" short.

I'm thinking that maybe some TP or something got behind the end of the sliding plate. Maybe its some other problems.

Whats the next step? Remove the 4 bolts and then the valve? Is that difficult? The plastic pipe on each side of the valve seems to be anchored down pretty good. Do I have to move the two pipes to remove the valve?

Thanks for any help,
Brad

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

dbbls

Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/08 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pipes will have to spread some. There is a rubber seal in there that goes into a recess in both the flange and valve. It helps if they can be spread about 1/2 inch.

2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

BillArf

NY and Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/08 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remove the 4 bolts. Spread a bit and that whole piece labeled 101945 comes out. Clean it well, clean the inners and lubricate with plumbers grease and then reinstall. Should get it or you have to replace. Be sure to also lube the pull rod with silicone spray. Doubt toilet paper plugging it.. just has not been lubed in 12 years. 8-)

skipole

Sandia Park, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/08 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the same problem with mine after last trip. Mine turned out to be toilet paper stuck in grove at bottom of the valve. I couldn't dislodge it and had to take the valve out.

From the looks of your picture there is a rubber coupler with two clamps around the line going into the tank. (Same as mine) Loosen both and see if you can move the line going to the valve enough to get 1/4 to 1/2 inch of play. If so take out the four bolts and then carefully pry the pipe toward the tank to get enough play to pull the valve out. Don't damage the o-ring.

Clean and lube the valve and the put it back in carefully and don't forget the o-ring. Retighten the band on the flange to the tank.

OBTW This was very messy on mine even though I had drained and flushed the tank sp have some bleach handy to rinse out the compartment when you are done.

skipole NM
08 navion 24J

snail

south west Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/08 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just finished changing ours a few days ago. If your's is 12 years old, i would install a new one. Mine cost $12. The biggest problem i had was spreading the pipes. I had to remove a support band.

Good luck.

DRIVE A 2001 NEWMAR DUTCH STAR WITH 330 HP CUMMINS AND TOW A RANGER 4X4. TRAVEL WITH SPOUSE AND PET TINKER BELL OUR CORGIE.

dons2346

Sioux Falls, SD, formerly of So. CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/08 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can't get the pipes far enough apart to insert the new valve, here is the way to do it.

Go to the hardware store and buy either plastic or sheet metal in a size large enough to cover the dimensions of the valve. Get the thin stuff, 1/16" or less. Cut two pieces, one for each side of the valve. Now install the gaskets in the valve. Use some soapy water or Pam, the cooking spray to lube one side of each piece of shim. Place the lubed side facing the valve on both sides. This makes a sandwich with a piece of shim on either side of the valve. Now pry your pipes apart enough to get the valve and shims started. Push the valve with shims into place, lining up the holes. Pull one shim out at a time while holding the valve in place. Install the bolts.

There you go.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/08 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dons2346 wrote:

If you can't get the pipes far enough apart to insert the new valve, here is the way to do it.

Go to the hardware store and buy either plastic or sheet metal in a size large enough to cover the dimensions of the valve. Get the thin stuff, 1/16" or less. Cut two pieces, one for each side of the valve. Now install the gaskets in the valve. Use some soapy water or Pam, the cooking spray to lube one side of each piece of shim. Place the lubed side facing the valve on both sides. This makes a sandwich with a piece of shim on either side of the valve. Now pry your pipes apart enough to get the valve and shims started. Push the valve with shims into place, lining up the holes. Pull one shim out at a time while holding the valve in place. Install the bolts.

I got the valve replaced. I would have never gotten it back in there without you suggestion on the sheetmetal. THANKS!

I varied from you idea slightly. I greased both sides of the sheetmetal (22 gage) with white lithium grease. And I stuck a 1/2" thick piece of wood between the two pieces of sheetmetal to hold them in place. As I pushed the valve in, it pushed the wood out of the way.

Brad

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/08 04:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, thanks all for the responses. Lots of good ideas in there.

One more question. Since it is 12 years old, I think I will replace it while I have it out. Any suggestions on what brand valve to buy. I don't mine spending more to get a quality product.

Thanks,
Brad

wittmeba

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/08 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may also want to try to get some plastic (large trash bag) under the valve before removal. There may be some left over waste. Try to wrap the valve to avoid the mess. You may need to loosen the metal band to free up the parts to separate.

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefox® 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

lv2rom

Kansas City, Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/08 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradW wrote:

Hey, thanks all for the responses. Lots of good ideas in there.

One more question. Since it is 12 years old, I think I will replace it while I have it out. Any suggestions on what brand valve to buy. I don't mine spending more to get a quality product.

Thanks,
Brad

I agree with the guys here....actually I think you have "rolled the seal" so that it is now out of position and between the knife blade and the seat on the other side. You know all you need to change it out, I like Valterra valves. As long as you are replacing it anyway, near the back (1/2' from where the shaft comes out), drill a small hole and insert a grease zerk for lubing in the future..Just a thought....Brian

2005 F350 Dually -AFE air box/MRSP exhaust/Bags/Bilsteins/Energy Susp./Michleins
2002 Hitchhiker Fiver 29.5 RLBG - Moryde Pin/Gas shocks/Michelin XPS Ribs/Full solar

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> RV Waste Valve 101??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS