|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Fog and TC Friends on the Maine Coast

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/08 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just couldn't stand to put the truck camper away for the winter without one last fling. We called up some TC friends who were relatively nearby and talked them into coming to camp on Casco Bay in Freeport, Maine for the weekend. It would either be one of those glorious times in late fall in New England or we'd freeze. But being intrepid souls (and owning propane furnaces and generators) we decided to go for it. After all, LL Bean is open 24/7 and we could always go to the hunt/fish store and either buy long johns or warm up by the wood stove.

Joe and I arrived first and set up by the water. We camped at Recompence Campground which is owned by Wolfe Neck Farm, a 600+ acre salt water farm with spectacular views out over Casco Bay to the Atlantic Ocean.

[image]

Feet up, we relaxed and enjoyed the 50F degree warmth, bright skies and watching a local clam digger work for a living.

[image]

As more TCs arrived during Friday afternoon, the fog started to roll in, getting denser and denser. Wolfe Neck has a large cow herd and, cows being the curious creatures they are, they came to see what we were doing.

[image]

[image]

As it had rained during the week, the ground was quite wet. Since there hasn't been a prolonged frost or cold spell yet to firm up the ground, we found TCs sort of sinking. As more rain was coming, we decided to get them all out of the field and herded into what higher ground we had. Only one got stuck and the guys had a great time with tow straps and deciding the best way to ease it out. And yes, the Ford did pull the Chevy out.

This camper didn't get stuck but was sort of listing to port before Ron wisely moved it.

[image]

Mike T and Stoney brought up a trailer full of tents, propane heaters, and propane lights which we set up to have a cozy place for meals and socializing. Good move since we had a couple of pretty heavy rain squalls. Thanks again to both of you for the extra work and to all the others who brought gear to make the weekend comfortable.

[image]

Lots of people brought firewood and we kept a blazing fire going for three days. Since this was a boondock, we occasionally used generators but for the most part, propane and fire kept us comfortable. The temperatures stayed in the 50s which is remarkable for this time of year - plus no snow! However, when you add cold ground from frosts and a cooling ocean with 50 degree temperatures, our TCs looked like our own herd in the fog -

[image]

Hard rains, dense fog, cozy tents, good friends, great food and drink and lots of tales told of places seen and places to go made this a super weekend. Sunday morning broke bright and clear so we moved outside to have a farewell breakfast by the bay.

[image]

[image]

Most had to leave Sunday for work on Monday, but four friends followed us home and camped at our house until Tuesday. Had a "girls day" Monday and headed north up the coast to some of my favorite Maine places. The guys started winterizing our TC and we finished it up today. Our yard looked a bit full of TCs but now it's sadly empty.

[image]

Looking out the garage second floor window at dawn:

[image]

Thanks everyone for coming up. The unplanned gatherings with good TC friends are really special. Can't wait til spring and the next TC gathering.

* This post was edited 11/11/08 04:02pm by TwoMaineiacs *

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/08 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting, looks like it was a great weekend.

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

CptnBG

Salem and Smith Mtn Lake, Va

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/08 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great way to end your season. The Maine coast is beautiful. I made my first trip there earlier this year.

'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/08 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like that field was an excellent case of mandatory 4-wheel lo. I pull in and out of similar conditions where I park my truck every day. She gets parked with 4x4 engaged.

Wish I could have been there, though. Looks like a damned good time [emoticon].

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

FarcticOx

NH or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/08 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anne & Joe,

Thanks for making it happen. It was, as are all our TC gatherings, marvelous in spite of the weather.

Mr & Mrs FarcticOx

FarcticOx

Run Silent, Run Deep
BLOG
2003 F350 Diesel DRW.
2005 Arctic Fox B1150 solar powered dry camper.
220 Watts Solar, 2 300AH 6 volt AGMs, Yamaha EF1000iS Generator

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/08 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pics, they captured the "feel" of camping

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/08 12:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its always nice to have a few friends over[emoticon]

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

wayward1

rockbridge, ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/08 04:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a great looking set of photos and friends. And I must say a wonderful heard of beef cows.
BTY; Mike T, I have not forgot about the game, next time I see you! I hope soon!

Rick and Kristi (KNR)

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/08 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maineiacs:

What a great Report!

We wish we could have been there with you all!!!

Into TR it goes [emoticon]

Cheers,
Sand & Dunes

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/08 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW, I so want to visit the East Coast!! Thanks.

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Fog and TC Friends on the Maine Coast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.