|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> yosemite encampment

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
dpgerson

Pacifica, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/08 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure Jefe will be adding some pictures, but here's a few to whet your appetite. The 2008 Yosemite encampment was small, but made up in spirit what it lacked in quantity. Jefe and his wife Jeannie, Phil and Deborah(spelling guess), George and myself made it.

Great weather! Took some nice hikes and had some great fireside chats and meals together. Aside from my usual battery problems (both were toast according to Interstate) and an LPG generator that wouldn't start, apparently from the combo of cold weather and a not full propane tank (it started just fine when I go down to warm Central Valley floor), it was a great and memorable time.

Yosemite Falls:

[image]

Half Dome:

[image]

The group left to right (Me, Jefe, Phil, Jeannie, Deborah, Phil's rig)

[image]

Jefe, jeannie and his rig:

[image]

Why I hate the Park Service:

[image]

Half Dome from right underneath it at Mirror Lake:

[image]

Look closely and you can see a good sized Buck deer that my puppies pointed out:

[image]

Me and the puppies at Lower Yos Falls:

[image]

cheers,

Dan

Photo size edited to a width of 640.

Wayne

* This post was last edited 11/24/08 10:43am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Campnfuls

Manteca, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/08 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the first time in our lives, DW (age 52) and I (age 58); both lifelong CA natives I might add; finally visited Yosemite last month. We spent two days exploring the more popular sites within the park. For those who have never been there I recommend it highly. Yosemite is a must see! By the way, great photos. Thanks for sharing.

[image]

* This post was edited 11/22/08 05:27pm by Campnfuls *

I want to leave this earth quietly in my sleep like my grandfather and not like the hysterical, screaming passengers riding in granddad's RV just before the big crash.">

Murgatroid

Nevada City, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/08 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice to see Yosemite falls are falling again. We were there a few weeks ago, and there was not a drop to be found. The Mist trail to Vernal falls was not at all misty. I love the place, though, and would have loved to join you guys.

-steve

2009 Northern Lite 9.6Q Classic
2012 Cyclone 300C
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB CTD 2WD for towing
2004 Ford F250 ExCab LB P/S 4WD for hauling

3+tons ain't pc

northern, ca.

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/08 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dan, Great pictures! We had a fantastic time, and it was sure nice getting to meet everybody at the fireside chat. Jefe sure does know how to build a fire (hint...maytag)! Even took my mind off my 401k blues! Looking forward to doing it all over again...

Thanks, Phil

2007 Dodge 3500 DRW,4x4,L/bed,Q/cab,6.7 diesel w/exhst brake,6 spd. auto,4:10,Timbrens, 2005 Citation 9-6 T/C, 1 keeper wife,1 son, 1 yellow lab, 2 quad polaris atv's & trailer,extreme lust for freedom & self accountibility, neither low output or income.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/08 04:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! We have to get there one of these years.

Nice group of photos, and it looks like everyone had a super time.

I imagine this park is far less crowded during late fall?

Into Trip Reports it goes...

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/08 12:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good pics, Dan. Thanks for starting this thread.
I'll add some content here too.
Monday, we got up early to load the final goods into the camper, pull the plug and made the 4.5 hr. drive to Yosemite. This was looking from our back deck toward the east just before sunrise to Emmigrant Gap on I-80 about 10 miles ESE of us.

[image]

Fuel was exactly half as expensive as it was just a few months ago. We stopped at a fruit and nut stand on State 120 and picked up some of the best almonds I've ever eaten. (O.K., no CA jokes about fruits and nuts) We were not especially in a hurry since we were not expecting any of the attendees till Tuesday. Being old hands at this campground, we wheeled right to #228, backed in, Lynx leveled up, and started to unload. Of the 240 camp sites in Upper Pines, only 20 or so were occupied. It's like you owned your own section of the camp. By late afternoon, a camper pulled in next to us. It was a couple reliving the one year anniversary of him proposing at this very site. Chad and Sheila, now married, didn't know anything about RV.net or the camper forum.
Their rig is on the left:

[image]

We had a good campfire that night, Jeanie made her fabulous Taco-ist-night dinner and we retired to the box for a handfull of games of Rummikub. Pretty quiet. About 4 hours after sundown, a Class C pulled in next to us...thought better of it and split. Another couple hours later another big white box pulled in next to us and we didn't hear a peep.
Tuesday morning I was up, coffee cup in hand, doing my morning inspection around the rig, when a big voice says above the drone of several generators, "Are you jefe?"
That big white box contained Phil and Debra, aka "3-1/2+ tons ain't PC". Since I never heard back from Phil, I didn't think they were going to make it.
Sur-prise, sur-prise,Sur--prise.
Phil, Debra and one well outfitted (small o) 9.5' and Dodge 3500.

[image]

Below are Phil and jefe's rigs. Well, mostly Phil's beautiful Citation and matching one ton:

[image]

"Where is every body?", querries Phil. "They'll be arriving today", says I. Sure enough they did. Dan Gerson, aka dpgerson motored his stealth powered (V-10 gasser) to a nearby site. The pair of Collies were not optional.

[image]

Cannon George aka George Ramsey showed up with his big Dodge/Cummins and Outfitter combo.
Tuesday evening my bride and I had reservations for dinner at the Awahnee Hotel in the park. Built 1927, it has a four star restaurant where we've enjoyed many an Anniversary meal. Memorable, as usual. It was kind of non-sequitur slithering out of a ten year old Lance in our go-to-town finery.
We had Jeanie's "Tequilla Sunset" garden party on Wednesday. Folks brought appetizers and you can tell by the picture below how the sun went down when we started imbibing the timeless Mexican elixer. You can tell even the fire barrel is tipsy!

[image]

Jeanie and I took several hikes to different falls and into Currie Village.

[image]
[image]
[image]

Friday morning, we decided to get a somewhat early start for home, hoping to unload at home in the daylight. We idled out of camp to the dump station at the entrance to the campground. Man, is that turkey noisy when it's cold. A bucket of bolts with an egg beater. Rounding the curve I spied one colossal Great White TC. It was one monumental Host on one Mongo Ford F-550. Who's could that be? You have only one guess on this one.
I've seen it in pics, but to behold this monster first hand is a whole 'nother thing. It reminded me of a Pullman Car on a passenger train. Seeing no sign of life, we clacked away to the dump. Post dump, I tried once more rattling through the camp going the wrong way to save ears to see if Mooney was up yet. I walked around admiring the rig and saw no signs of life. I have a rule: never knock on the door of someone who has more than one slide. So, off we crept, making it home before dark.
One last stop in the valley. 8:45AM, 30 degrees, F. Much warmer in camp, up just 100 feet in elevation.
[image]

My only regret was not taking enough firewood to fend off the evening cool. The first time camping, in hundreds of camps, that I didn't have too much firewood.
All in all, a great encampment. Interesting people, whom I would camp again with in a New York Minute, wonderful weather, great food and comradarie.
regards, as always, jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

3+tons ain't pc

northern, ca.

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/08 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mooney, It was a great time, we'll just have to do it all over again. I was sure looking forward to checking out that fantastic new rig of yours!

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Mooney

Santa Barbara, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/08 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry I missed you guys.I pulled in at 3am on Thursday so I wouldn't miss Jefe's and the rest of the crews departure.  Rolling out of bed at 10am missed that objective.  I met up with many remaining TC'ers, non of which were from the RV net crew.  I just came down from the Sierras this morning for Turkey day with in inlaws in the SJ Valley.Looking forward to posting a few photos from the trip.

'08 Ford F550, Lariat, Link Air Suspension, Roll-A-Long Conversion, Twin Turbo 6.4, TorkLifts, SuperHitch, "Monster Duty Truckasaurus"
'09 Host Everest, Dual Pane, AM Solar, Link 1000,Prosine2.0,Tank Htrs,Honda EV4010,HD Motosat,Wave 6.

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/08 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mooney,
3am, huh? Boy am I glad i did not knock you up (Brit expression for knocking on the door)
I never heard you drive in. That new International engine must be a lot quieter than the predecessors'. Of course, I was probably deep in REM mode at that time.
Sorry we missed you.
Next time.
Of the PSW camper rallies I've been to, they are always different. I mean really different.
In the words of Lawrence Welk, "My poys, der are good days and der are bad days, and dis is one of dem".
regards, as always, jefe

Mooney

Santa Barbara, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/08 11:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll be back between Xmas and New Years. I like it better when there is only 5 total campers in Upper Pines, and it doesn't sound like a go kart race with all the generators running.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> yosemite encampment
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.