RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Next ? - Old Prevost or younger 'mass-production' rig??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Next ? - Old Prevost or younger 'mass-production' rig??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
gonesouth

Tatamagouche, NS

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/08 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CCXNOLA, if you buy a NADa guide, get the CD edition - same price, much easier to search than the paper book. Also easier to take with you on the road....

Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/08 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a nice 1995 BMC in your price range. About the 15th up from the bottom in the fore sale section.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

geezer34nh

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/08 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We made the move from a Southwind assembly line coach to a higher level DP several years ago. We actualy dropped down 3 model years. We loooked at a lot of used coaches and found a 1990 Foretravel for about 1/2 of your budget. We are on the west coast for the second time with it from New Hampshire. And have made two Florida round trips as well. We tow a car on a car trailer nd do not miss not having slides. Foretravel is a quality coach and built in limited quantity. Mybe he next one will be a Povost but the Foretravel has been a good choice for us.

Brad & Lucy aka the Geezer & The Hedgehog
1990 Foretravel 38' DP
Kitty Kats: Earl and Max
Subie the Subaru riding the car trailer
Navigation: CoPilot 9 on a lap top
ASE Master Technician
SAE

ccxnola

Wherever the rig is - I'm there too!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/08 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And now the revised search begins (with MUCH better information from friends on rv.net) !!

Besed on your input, It has taken the past 48 hours to do some simple groupings & considerations!!

Our main priority is comfort and livability for about 6 months per year for the next 5 years - 3 in the winter to travel Southern States & Mexico and 3 in the summer for new adventures in the 'North' - North of 40 degrees including Canada & Alaska. (Spring & Fall in New Orleans are really fine times of the year to be home!!)

Second consideration is potential recovery of '$$ investment'.
(Yes, I do understand that almost no RV can be expected to imcrease in value - it's a matter to minimize loss when reselling.)

So - within the available funds to purchase (this is the overriding consideration - $70,000 MAX) there are 3 basic groups:
1- Older custom built / bus conversions (ie Prevost et al.) most likely pre-1990.
2- High-end DP factory models (Foretravel, top Monacl, et al) in the 1995-2000 range; and
3- Production models from major manufacturers (Fleetwood et al in the 2003-2005 range.

Here is my logic - and I welcome other views and perspective!
Group 1 seems to have a high risk of significant expense within 5 years to simply keep the rig operational.
Group 3 has many nice features, but has a lot of deprecation yet to go and thus the future (5 year) resale will be much less and thus make for a higher total cost of ownership over the 5 years.
Group 2 is the target - with the major consideration of both a rig that has been well maintained and is near the end of significant depreciation.

So - as noted in the first line - the search starts anew!! Wish me good fortune - Luck will have little to do with it!!

2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

John S.

Valley of Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/08 05:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are going to look at foretravel look in the yahoo site there are some for sale. ALso look at motorhomesoftexas.com. call them and talk to Jimmy Bergman. He will know of anything that is in your price range coming in on trade soon too. I bought mine that way and they called and said it was coming and here are pictures. I put a deposit down and when I got there I did not like it on the first one and had no issue getting it back. I bought the second one they sent me... The factory also has sales of used units. If your price was a bit higher I have a friend whois selling his and it is a gem.... But it is a 98 with a new paint job for 90 some K. I think you could get it lower but not for 70K. If you get a 97 or 96 or a U 270 0\or295 you will be right on track though for a 99 or so. A U 320 you will have to be about 96 model year but the depreciation stops pretty much then.

John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

zmotorsports

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/08 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ccxnola, I think you have gotten a lot of good information. It looks like group two is what you are zeroing in on. This would be a good choice due to the fact that like you mentioned the 'major' depreciation has already taken effect. Generally about the 5-6 year range is when they start slowing a little on depreciation, but they still depreciate. If you only look at it as a matter of loosing money you may drive yourself crazy (trust me, been there), you need to look at it as a matter of enjoyment it will bring. If you purchase an approx. 6 plus year old unit and maintain it well you will take a 'lesser' loss than a newer one (1-3 years) but you will still take a loss. We had a 1991 Beaver that we purchased in 2000 for $74k and had it seven years. Over this time we put approx. 40K miles on it and put a lot of 'sweat equity' into it including tires, polishing paint and wheels, new paint on front cap and lower belt line, ran overhead, rebuilt injector pump, new refrigerator and then just normal maintenance. It was an excellent coach and we got a lot of enjoyment out of it for our first DP. It is still on the road and the new owners are getting as much enjoyment from it as we did. We we sold it after that seven years we still got $65K out of it. The interested party said it was a little higher priced than some of the others they looked at but they wanted a Beaver on a Gillig chassis and said that our was the cleanest and best kept with all the records that they had run across. This proves that it does pay to take as good of care as possible to get the best resale but it is still going to be at a depreciated value. Good luck in your decision, Mike.

2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

pfunk

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/08 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hears another way to start, look at motors and what you want for a chassis. Like many others said a series 60 is blowing your budget so motor wise hears what you get in your price range
Cummins 8.3 (research the problem years)
Cat 3126/C7 (keep up on maint)
Stick to allison 6 speeds
Chassis
Roadmaster, some frieghtliners had rollcages/semimonoque (switched to roadmasters), foretravel unicoach (I believe its called), spartan. Im sure others will name a few.
For mine I wanted a partial steel (front) along with aluminum superstructure design which in our price was a roadmaster/late freightliner
I really like the later roadmasters with the outboard airbags, but they were too new for us but might be in your pricerange

2019 Coachmen Adrenaline 26CB

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/08 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ccxnola,
I forgot, will you be living alone? If not, what does your partner want/need?
My quick guess is a 40 footer with TWO(2) slideouts.
If you do not specify the top ten features that you want, in order of priority, OUR suggestions will vary all over the place.
In closing, all I can say is that your approach is different than mine.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

gonesouth

Tatamagouche, NS

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/08 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you commit yourself to slides, remember that most of the depreciation related to not having slides has already taken place, especially in this market. So, the fact that the no-slide unit has had its price knocked down just means that the depreciation percentages each year are working on a lower base, not that it will drop faster.

We bought no-slide, working on the theory that longer and no slide gives the same floor area as shorter and wider. So far, DW agrees.

pfunk

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/08 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought no slide when we were looking and after having it, I couldnt be without exspecially when we convert the Jlounge to a jackknive it leaves a path between the 2 beds. We dont have a bedroom slide though

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Next ? - Old Prevost or younger 'mass-production' rig??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.