|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Big Bend NP & Fort Davis Texas

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/08 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...We started this adventure at Panther Junction inside Big Bend NP. You have to stop there to see the giant 3D map of the park and to secure permits for camping in the primitive areas. Permits and instructions obtained, we headed for the first campsite on Old Ore Road, McKinney Spring. The slideshow picks up most of the action from there. Password on the slideshow is bigbend lower case and all one word.

We worked our way down the east side of the park on Old Ore Road, back through the middle via Glenn Spring Road and the second campsite and over to the west side of the park via the Chisos Basin the road to Castolon and Old Maverick Road. We managed to get in about 65 miles offroad and enjoy remote camping at it's finest with clear skies mild temperatures and solitude. The views are well worth the trip and rival some of the views that we saw in Moab back in March. Folks from Utah, Colorado and at least a couple we know from Arizona will NOT be dissapointed. From there we took 170 west to Presidio a very scenic drive and then up to Fort Davis via Marfa for a look through the telescope at the McDonald Obervatory. From there we headed back east to Fredericksburg TX and spent a couple days shopping before returning home to Lafayette.

We hope you enjoy the pictures as much as we enjoyed taking them...

Big Bend NP Map for reference

Big Bend Slideshow

* This post was edited 12/16/08 11:21pm by Nemo667 *

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

DonCurley

La Sal, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/08 11:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ben,

Well, it certainly looks like you and Tory had a great trip. Definitely plenty of solitude at Big Bend. In terms of the cactus you weren't sure about ... that is a cholla (I believe a buckhorn type). You also got another cholla later in your slide show, I believe a pencil variety (with the red "fruit" ... sometimes referred to as the Christmas Cholla). And that sub conning tower (or perhaps I should say "sail") at Passing Wind had the wrong number on it ... it should have been 667. [emoticon]

Thanks for sharing your trip!

Don

On edit: I looked up the white rock deposit on the USGS website for Big Bend, and here is their quote (showing more or less the same photo you had) ... "The outcrop consists of Miocene age volcanic tuff overlying faulted pale gray and red beds of volcanic ash and stream channel deposits of the Delaho Formation".

* This post was edited 12/17/08 12:06am by DonCurley *

-'07 Dodge 3500/QC/SB/SRW/4x4/6.7L CTD/6-spd auto/35" Toyo MT's/Ride-Rite air bags/RS9000XL shocks
-'07 Apex 8 fully optioned w/220W solar/2 T-145's/2KW Prosine/Honda EU2000i/Tundra fridge/AC/etc
-'00 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4x4, highly modified w/5.9L Magnum V8

DonCurley

La Sal, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/08 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You mean that there isn't an entire nuclear sub buried under that sail? [emoticon]

In terms of silversand's comment, while I have a Photobucket account, I did not log in (nor did it automatically recognize me), so using your bigbend password brought the slide show up with no problems for me.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/08 04:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Nemo:

This area of Texas is one we'd really like to explore one day!

Cheers,
S-

* This post was edited 12/17/08 07:39am by silversand *

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/08 05:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don - Thanks for the help identifying cactus an white rock. The sail in that picture is likely built of wood. This "attraction" is in Terlingua right below the cemetary. It was closed so we couldnt investigate further. Next time we go we plan on taking a day or so to see both Study (Stoody) Butte and Terlingua more thouroughly.

Silver - the link should work account or not. Let me know if you cant get it to work and I will figure something else out. In the mean time try this link Troublshooting guest login There were so many pictures this time I decided to go this route. If doesnt work for all, I may have to rethink that decision...

* This post was edited 12/17/08 05:34am by Nemo667 *

wayward1

rockbridge, ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/08 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are currently planning a trip to big bend, maybe you saw our post looking for info. Thanks for posting your photos; we are now convinced this trip is for us. Very nice and thanks again.

* This post was edited 12/17/08 01:29pm by wayward1 *

Rick and Kristi (KNR)

knipp4la

Slidell, La

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/08 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just returned from Big Bend last week. Thoroughly enjoyed viewing your slides.I was so fascinated with the geology I bought a book "Roadside Geology of Texas" to help figure out what I was seeing. You indicated you drove the interstate. If you haven't done so, next time consider dropping off the interstate in San Antonio onto 90..the road is good and the scenery fantastic. We camped at Davis Mountain State Park in Ft Davis and then went down to Big Bend. We skipped the Observatory this trip--it was just too cold. Its on the to do list for next time!

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/08 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...OK guys: no problem now, got in.

I don't know who (which one of you) made those photos, but they are really professionally framed through the eyes of an artist, I'll tell you!

Nice documentation, camp-site by campsite; the show reads like a documentary.

Bravo for a trip report exceptionally well done!

Sand & Dunes

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/08 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pic and post, that for taking the time to post it.
This area is on our list to see also.

Happy travels.

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/08 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, what a trip.....thanks for posting the pix...
We've explored lots of the S/W but haven't been to this area....gotta do it.

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Big Bend NP & Fort Davis Texas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.