|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Big Bend NP & Fort Davis Texas

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/08 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

knipp4la wrote:

We just returned from Big Bend last week. Thoroughly enjoyed viewing your slides.I was so fascinated with the geology I bought a book "Roadside Geology of Texas" to help figure out what I was seeing. You indicated you drove the interstate. If you haven't done so, next time consider dropping off the interstate in San Antonio onto 90..the road is good and the scenery fantastic. We camped at Davis Mountain State Park in Ft Davis and then went down to Big Bend. We skipped the Observatory this trip--it was just too cold. Its on the to do list for next time!

That's funny, read my post on the other Big Bend thread.....I sort of recommended the same thing. I did a trip where we drove to South Padre Island from Denver (in a rental car) and we came back via Big Bend. I started looking for Roadside Geology of Texas starting in Brownsville, and never found it until we went into a mall in Del Rio.

I remember they had an especially good write-up of the park. I need to look at the pictures now, but I remember some of those incredible white tuffs and the contrast with some of the other rocks. BB is a beautiful park.

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/08 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

knipp4la wrote:

We just returned from Big Bend last week. Thoroughly enjoyed viewing your slides.I was so fascinated with the geology I bought a book "Roadside Geology of Texas" to help figure out what I was seeing. You indicated you drove the interstate. If you haven't done so, next time consider dropping off the interstate in San Antonio onto 90..the road is good and the scenery fantastic. We camped at Davis Mountain State Park in Ft Davis and then went down to Big Bend. We skipped the Observatory this trip--it was just too cold. Its on the to do list for next time!
We only had 9 days and wanted to get there as soon as possible. Departed Lafayette right at noon and stopped in Fort Stockton for the night. If I can travel that route during the day next time I will. We highly recommend the campground and the restaurant at Fort Davis SP; had a fantastic meal at the Indian Lodge. The observatory was VERY cold, but worth it.

Thanks all...

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/08 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, Big Ben in Big Bend...I love it. Didn't know you are quite the photog! Guess I'll have to hitch up the covered wagon and head to Texas some time. Looks like you folks covered some terriTory and had quite the great time. Nice format too Ben, a new one to me. Thanks for the great show!

rhode trip

Rhode Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/08 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent photos, thanks for posting. We're planning a trip there at the end of January, so your timing was perfect. Thanks!

2002 Dodge 3500 CTD/DRW/
2000 Northern Lite 10-2000cd

www.LapelPinPlanet.com

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/08 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK - just finished watching the slideshow....very very nice. Thanks for sharing them.

That tunnel looks a little ummmm, low [emoticon] Pretty similar to Mary's Tunnel in Shanandoah NP - I could make it going right down the middle.

That white tuff in contact with dark ? was what I remember and I have about the same picture as you somewhere. Very spectacular. Nice little fold you had a picture of as well.

The telescope is nice, but Don's might be able to give it a run for it's money [emoticon] I did want to drive up there when I went through but it was the middle of the night by the time we went by...

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/08 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wayward1 wrote:

We are currently planning a trip to big bend, maybe you saw our post looking for info. Thanks for posting you photos; we are now convinced this trip is for us. Very nice and thanks again.
We really had a great time. Enjoy your trip and drive safe. Dont forget to post your pics when you get back. [emoticon]

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/08 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btggraphix wrote:

OK - just finished watching the slideshow....very very nice. Thanks for sharing them.

That tunnel looks a little ummmm, low [emoticon] Pretty similar to Mary's Tunnel in Shanandoah NP - I could make it going right down the middle.

That white tuff in contact with dark ? was what I remember and I have about the same picture as you somewhere. Very spectacular. Nice little fold you had a picture of as well.

The telescope is nice, but Don's might be able to give it a run for it's money [emoticon] I did want to drive up there when I went through but it was the middle of the night by the time we went by...
I dont remember what the clearance is on that tunnel...I should have made a note of that for everybody else. We are 9.5' with the AC unit and we didnt have any trouble.

jmckelvy

North Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/08 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great photos. Thanks for posting. We are thinking our next major trip will be to Big Bend NP. We have been to many but never that one.

06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/08 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a lot of pictures!! Thought they would never end. But enjoyed looking at every single one of them. Thanks for posting them. Gary

2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Big Bend NP & Fort Davis Texas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.