Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: RV Antifreeze freezing at 0 degrees F??

Posted By: TDInewguy on 12/21/08 10:27pm

Ok, so I was at Menards just the other day and bought 3 gallons of PEAK RV antifreeze and right on the bottle it says "PROTECTION DOWN TO -50F"

What gives? It was not frozen solid, but it was probably 85% frozen with a little liquid, the rest was slushy.

Did PEAK rip me off with a watered down antifreeze?

Is it normal for it to slush up like this at 0 degrees?

Anyone?

SSSStefan

2009 Newmar AllStar 4154
2014 VW Passat TDI - toad!
Featherlite 28' Enclosed car hauler
1966 GTO - super cool car as seen on Driven1

Posted By: cbeierl on 12/21/08 10:33pm

My understanding is that it will freeze or become slushy, but unlike water, it won't expand when it freezes. The expansion as water freezes is what causes problems.

Chris Beierl
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD

Posted By: Dutch_12078 on 12/21/08 10:35pm

Yes, that's the way polyethylene glycol works as a potable water system antifreeze. It doesn't freeze solid and expand like water, it just turns slushy, causing no damage to your pipes or fittings. There are formulas that will stay liquid at lower temps, but it isn't necessary for our needs.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Posted By: wagonmaster2 on 12/21/08 10:43pm

Yes it will definitely get very slushy. I always wondered that myself so one day I put a small container of the pink stuff in my freezer to see what it would do at -10 degrees. It gets slushy but never solid. Guess it works the way its supposed to. Always thought if it says protection to -50, that meant it stayed liquid down to that temperature but "wrong".

Wagonmaster2

Posted By: jetjock46 on 12/21/08 10:49pm

Put the container in the cold and after it gets slushy, check out the size of the container. You will see that it does not expand. That's how it works.

2002 Phaeton OH
Keep the Blue Side UP.........

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 12/21/08 10:55pm

Years ago when people ran water for coolant there was one older guy who put just put one quart of antifreeze in his radiator each winter. He claimed it did not freeze solid. My brother in law also blew a radiator hose when his radiator froze from weak antifreeze freezing when it cooled in the core.

Posted By: gonesouth on 12/22/08 05:24am

I don't buy it. If it is getting slushy, you are getting water freezing out of the mix. REAL antifreeze doesn't do that. My propylene glycol antifreeze gets thick like honey before it finally gets hard. If yours doesn't, take it back.

Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

Posted By: fpresto on 12/22/08 06:21am

gonesouth - I hate to disagree with you but in this case you are wrong. Any antifreeze solution will at some temperature freeze solid. I have seen Ethylene glycol solid as a rock, however, that is not the point. Burst protection is what is required and it doesn't matter if it turns to slush or freezes solid as long as it doesn't expand. The following is a quote from a Dow Chemical web page "When most fluids freeze they expand in volume, which can cause pipes or other containment vessels to rupture. When a water-glycol mixture freezes, it retains its flow-ability and does not create added pressure in pipes or vessels. This makes it an ideal solution for burst protection in pipe and containment systems." If you read the MSDS sheet from Peak they make two types of RV antifreeze one is the -50F and it starts to freeze (slush) at -9F and the other is -100F and it starts to freeze at -26F.

USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

Posted By: John&Joey on 12/22/08 06:45am

Ahhh... The joy's of MN in the winter. I don't miss it in the least.

I've used the exact same stuff from the Menards in Duluth in my cabin and have seen it down to -40. At that point it turns into a solid mass. First time I saw that it had me concerned also. So as a test I hit it with the point of a screwdriver, and it flacked easily (back to the burst logic.) I guess that's the reason it's cheaper, and why you don't use it in your auto. I've never had a problem yet with the RV stuff breaking anything.

But, I see you're in the Twin Cities and here is the big but. At the cabin I always use a shop vac to get all of the water out of the toilet first. In the traps I use a small amount of regular antifreeze, then a couple of cups of the RV stuff after it. I would hate to see what would happen if you didn't get all of the water out first and ended up diluting the Menards RV stuff.

There’s no fool, like an old fool.

Posted By: Mandalay Parr on 12/22/08 07:35am

Did you mix it 50-50 with water? That was the normal we used to put in cars.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Posted By: Randu on 12/22/08 07:42am

The cheap stuff at Menards (Splash brand, not Peak) slushes up in the teens but don't expand. I usually pump the lines full and then drain out whatever will run out of the low point drains. Gives me peace of mind that there is expansion room just in case. Randy

2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Posted By: camperbuds3 on 12/22/08 07:51am

Mandalay Parr wrote:

NEVER mix water with RV Antifreeze. RV Antifreeze is not meant to be diluted.

Posted By: Sully2 on 12/22/08 07:56am

fpresto wrote:

gonesouth - I hate to disagree with you but in this case you are wrong. Any antifreeze solution will at some temperature freeze solid. I have seen Ethylene glycol solid as a rock, however, that is not the point. Burst protection is what is required and it doesn't matter if it turns to slush or freezes solid as long as it doesn't expand. The following is a quote from a Dow Chemical web page "When most fluids freeze they expand in volume, which can cause pipes or other containment vessels to rupture. When a water-glycol mixture freezes, it retains its flow-ability and does not create added pressure in pipes or vessels. This makes it an ideal solution for burst protection in pipe and containment systems." If you read the MSDS sheet from Peak they make two types of RV antifreeze one is the -50F and it starts to freeze (slush) at -9F and the other is -100F and it starts to freeze at -26F.

I agree 100%. Ive seen the exact same thing.

presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Posted By: Mandalay Parr on 12/22/08 09:34am

camperbuds3 wrote:

Mandalay Parr wrote:

NEVER mix water with RV Antifreeze. RV Antifreeze is not meant to be diluted.

Thanks, I have never used it before. Didn't know RV antifreeze was different.

Jerry Parr

Posted By: BobR on 12/22/08 09:47am

Antifreeze appears normal. If you are concerned, you could blow out the lines with air.

Posted By: ArchHoagland on 12/22/08 10:53am

In the old days when you bought a gallon of antifreeze it was pure antifreeze.

Today most of it is a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze.

Which did you buy...a 50/50 mix or pure antifreeze?

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Posted By: BarbaraOK on 12/22/08 11:08am

Maybe we need a little basic science here.

First, WATER expands when it freezes, most other liquids do not expand. It expands because of the shape of the water molecule, which isn't linear. It has to do with hydrogen bonding, it is why ice floats and life exists on this planet.

Second a 50/50 mixture protects better than pure antifreeze because there are more 'particles' that get in the way of each other - that's what gives the protection.

Third, ANYTHING will freeze if the temperature gets low enough (with the exception of the low temperature gases like hydrogen, helium, etc.) but most do not expand.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

Posted By: Triker33 on 12/22/08 03:19pm

[emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

1. Some on this thread are talking about RV antifreeze that you put in the fresh water line for winter storage.

2. And others are talking about Antifreeze that you put in your engine block to protect it.

3. Neither Antifreeze is made the same.

4. The OP was about No. 1

5. Winter windshield wiper fluid is made different also. [emoticon]

Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Posted By: BarbaraOK on 12/22/08 05:37pm

Triker33 wrote:

[emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

1. Some on this thread are talking about RV antifreeze that you put in the fresh water line for winter storage.

2. And others are talking about Antifreeze that you put in your engine block to protect it.

Actually both types of antifreezes are diols (having 2 OH groups on the molecule). The difference is how the mammalian body oxidizes the compounds. In the case of ethylene glycol, the resulting oxalate combines with calcium and precipitates out in the kidneys and brains. BTW - both spinach and rubarb are very high in oxalate acid!

Barb

Posted By: Locomotiveman on 12/22/08 06:23pm

My MENARDS Peak RV 'PinkStuff' was somewhat slushy in the top of a new full jug; but bottom 1/3 was hard as a rock last nite at -20F. I blew out MH lines as much as possible....then ran "PinkStuff' but allowed it to drain down with all valves open. I dunno, but it appears to have separated somewhat in the jug. TOM

Locomotiveman..Yes I am a career cross-country Locomotive Engineer. Wife is an RN. We are CLOSE to retiring and 'downsized' to a Monaco Executive w/450hp Cummins and nice drapes. Locomotiveman

Posted By: cptdav on 12/22/08 06:44pm

BarbaraOK wrote:

Triker33 wrote:

Actually both types of antifreezes are diols (having 2 OH groups on the molecule). The difference is how the mammalian body oxidizes the compounds. In the case of ethylene glycol, the resulting oxalate combines with calcium and precipitates out in the kidneys and brains. BTW - both spinach and rubarb are very high in oxalate acid!

Barb

What Barb said, I think.

JD

Posted By: barnaclebill on 12/22/08 08:25pm

I also have had new, sealed gallons of RV "antifreeze" frozen solid as a rock. The jugs were swelled out on the bottom and would not sit flat and rolled on end like a "punch dummy"

2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

Posted By: John&Joey on 12/22/08 08:32pm

barnaclebill wrote:

I also have had new, sealed gallons of RV "antifreeze" frozen solid as a rock. The jugs were swelled out on the bottom and would not sit flat and rolled on end like a "punch dummy"

Boy that just doesn't sound right[emoticon]. But anyone from a cold area know, extreme cold does strange things to normal items.

I wonder if part of the process here is some evaporation occuring. In a jug it can't happen. Also those jugs are pretty thin and would push out easily vs a toilet or a P-trap.

Posted By: garry1p on 12/23/08 08:07pm

I would "NOT" dilute RV antifreeze.... automotive yeah 50/50.

I agree it (RV antifreeze) will turn to slush and the more you dilute with water the more likely the water in the mix will freeze and expand.

Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Print  |  Close