|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Weekend winter camping trip -many pics

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/08 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey guys.....rather than go gift shopping like I should be doing, I thought I'd post a few pictures of the weekend trip we just made. We just headed up Saturday morning and went to a friends place near Buena Vista where he's building a log home. He needed to plow to driveway for the workers, and any excuse to go camping is a good one. Plus, I wanted to to try out our rig in some deeper snow where we had some controlled conditions and could drag it out with his bulldozer (or my winch) if I got it stuck.

Had to drop off the dump trailer in the morning at the rentall- someone wanted to rent it. Nice being able to take a trailer if I need to....
[image]

Hmmmm....you think it's over 10,000 GVWR? [emoticon]
[image]

Quick stop at Kenosha Pass to stretch. The campground here is nice, but closed in the winter. There was an older Class C parked in there though, behind a closed gate. Not sure what's up with that....but it's snowed in.
[image]
[image]

Southpark is notorious for it's winds. We went through a couple of whiteout winds, but didn't get any pictures. This can get ugly when the roads gets icy, with these kind of winds. For what it is worth, I sometimes wonder if the extra 2' or so of height of our rig versus the 3-4000 pounds more weight (as compared to most trucks and TC's) makes it more or less stable in the winds in terms of tipping over or not. It actually SEEMS way more stable than our old camper was because it doesn't sway or tip when hit by winds...but on the other hand, semi's blow over too.
[image]

So I headed through the snow bank into his driveway, down across the culvert and up the other side.....I was hoping to make it up to the flat area at the crest before waiting for him to plow things out. I did a little sliding sideways (kind of spooky with that big a rig) but made it pretty far into the snow. I backed up once to make sure I was still fairly straight, and drove in a bit furthur. I wasn't really hammering it or anything, as I made it to the flat spot where I wanted to park anyway. Here's some shots of where I stopped. Note that I was not stuck, I could backup the way I came with no problems. The weight really seems to help it bite in, and I am very very pleased with the tires. I'm going to add these photos and a few more to my thread on the Michellins I have on here, but thought these would be fun here as well.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Sure am glad to have a side door camper now and not have to mess with all that nasty grimey dirt/snow/mag chloride on the back.
[image]
[image]
[image]

The home I've been helping with all summer/fall:
[image]

Relaxing around a dimension lumber fire:
[image]

Now that's a plow....or a tow truck:
[image]
Moving the camper into it's spot:
[image]
[image]

Mt. Yale, and the Collegiate Peaks west of Buena Vista, headng back home.
[image]

Another shot of South Park:
[image]

All in all, a very fun weekend. Temps got down to about 5 above or so. My one big issue was I finally stuck a thermometer in the dump valve bay and it was all the way down to 18 degrees in there. Way too cold! The grey tank drained on Sunday night, but the black tank had a poopsicle or a poopplug in there and refused to drain. I poured about 10 gallons of hot water in to get it to drain. The low point drains were also frozen, so I used a hair-dryer for that.....no damaged done, and I got it all drained, but I clearly have to fix things up in there. I have a plan for that I think.....but we were planning on going camping again the next two weeks, so it may have to wait!

Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/08 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the photos, we love winter camping even though we don't get to do it much. You sure do have a "do it all" rig.

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

Rvndave

Medina, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/08 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pic.

2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]

Trailer Trash 2

Santa Fe Springs, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/08 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great Pic's of your trip, Burrrrrrr. were you stuck in the picture where the snow was covering your axels? it looks like you had a lot of fun.

Don & Georgia
AKA: Trailer Trash 2
Real trucks don't have spark plugs.
2009, Dodge, 3500, Q Cab, Cum/Diesel, D.R.W.
Pulling a Super Fine Montana 2980RL

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/08 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailer Trash 2 wrote:

Great Pic's of your trip, Burrrrrrr. were you stuck in the picture where the snow was covering your axels? it looks like you had a lot of fun.

Thanks!

Nope, once my buddy got the dozer fired up and ready to plow, I backed right up from where I was and let him plow out the big drift, then I pulled forward and he finished things off behind me.

I have often heard people break more stuff on their 4x4 rigs in the snow for some reason, then in many other conditions. So especially with the really hard ice layer within the snow, I played it safe and didn't do any back and forth smash smash smash type stuff to see how far or how completely I could get stuck. The snow was just at the point of really smashing up under things, and above the axles steering linkages etc. I just wanted to get a good feel as to how it would do and I know a lot better now.

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/08 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spott wrote:

Thanks for the photos, we love winter camping even though we don't get to do it much. You sure do have a "do it all" rig.

Thanks, I've really enjoyed your winter camping photos as well.

rickjo

SW New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/08 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely Colorado in Winter. Growing up there, I've experienced almost every snow condition, including getting buried in an avalanche on Vail Pass in Jan 1965. Obviously it's survivable if you know what to prepare for.

Also good to know that my Michelin XPS tractions will get me through difficult conditions. Thanks for the pix.

Rick

2019 F-350 4WD Crew Cab DRW 6.2 l gas engine (6500 lbs cargo capacity!)
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, King memory foam mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."

PJ Colahan

Port of Everett, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/08 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing. Looks very nice there.
What kind of mileage do you actually get with that rig. I was also wondering what it is like on a trip for comfort compared to a pickup.
Was thinking of upgrading in a year or two but I am still not sure.
PJ

SkiingSixPack

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/08 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome pictures. The friend that you are helping, is lucky to have you as his friend. We hope to have a rig like that someday visiting all the ski areas in North America. Very nice.

My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

1newcamper

Bluegrass of KY

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/08 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nice pics...thanks

07 Prevost Conversion
08 Yukon Denali toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Weekend winter camping trip -many pics
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.