RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Home made air levelers - UPDATED with BIG NEWS!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Home made air levelers - UPDATED with BIG NEWS!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
Washboy

Denver, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/09 10:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been testing my first air bag leveler for 4 hours. It lifted the front tire of my Mailbu nearly 7" with only 30 psi applied.

I spent just under $100 for enough material to make two levelers. I spent about 2 hours fabricating the 1st one...I think I can cut that time in half for the second. (I spent alot of time thinking and mindlessly staring off into space.)

My next test will be lifting the front of my Sierra D/A. Baby steps before the acid test...a month on the road, looking for unlevel camp sites. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 01/12/09 05:09pm by Washboy *

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

2003 GMC Sierra SLT ExtCab 3500 D/A 4X4
2003 Carriage Cameo LXI F34CK3

Drifter_59

Mooresville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/09 10:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pictures?

Enjoying Life with the 4 legged pal, Dexter (boxer/lab mix).
The Mule - '06 Chev 2500 HD, CC, SB, LT2, 6.0L, 4.10, Bilsteins
The Wagon - '07 JayFlight 30.5 RLS

KansasBill

Denver, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/09 11:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, what Drifter_59 said.

At first blush, I took it to be a substitute replacement for a product like the Firestone Air Springs, but after carefully re-reading, I figure it's really a leveling board replacement. [emoticon] [emoticon]

Come'on, spill the beans! [emoticon]

Thanks,
Bill

2012 Ram 2500HD Crewcab, 6.7L Cummins, 6spd auto, short bed, 4WD
2006 HitchHiker II LS 28.5 RLBG two slides
Reese 16K Fifth Wheel hitch w/Kwik-Slide

Washboy

Denver, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/09 11:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nags! [emoticon]

Yeah, if the first one works as expected, I'll fotodocument it's sibling for y'all.

Basically, it's a 24" length of 8" diameter Kuriyama Gatorflow discharge hose with a valve stem installed and the ends glued and clamped with some aluminum strap and bolts. Looks alot like the old LevelAirs except they're black instead of red.

As for staring off into space...I was trying to use as much of my shop machinery as possible. Then, I realized that a sharp utility knife, a tape measure, a center punch, a hammer, a hacksaw, a cordless drill, a couple of bar clamps and a couple of wrenches would be alot easier than setting up jigs and stuff. Afterall, it ain't furniture!

Rvndave

Medina, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/09 04:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pic?

2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]

TreeTopRanch

Fort Worth, TX, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/09 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Washboy,

Goodluck! I made mine last month and tested them out over the Christmas break.

I tested them on my wife's SUV first. With 10 lbs of pressure, it lifted very easily and quite high. The pressure stayed even at 10 lbs.

In acutal use, I had one leak around the valve stem. My trailer is MUCH heavier and it took 21 lbs to lift it 3 inches. I tightened the valve stem and it held steady at 21 lbs for the remainder of our trip (5 days).

A couple of tips if you don't mind...
1) Always level side to side before leveling front-to-back.
2) Build/buy a set of chaulks that pin themselves between your trailer tires.
3) Spend another $25 on materials to make a dual inflator/deflator. This little contraption will save you time... Use the following link for a description on how to build it.

Y thingy

Oh, and the bags work great. You will enjoy them the second time much more than the first. You will not be worrying as much about them loosing air.

I'd love to hear a report back regarding how they worked for you.

Happy Travels,

TTR.

TreeTopRanch
2007 Ford F350 Dually PSD King Ranch/Chrome FX4
2008 K-Z Montego Bay 36REB-3

TreeTopRanch

Fort Worth, TX, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/09 06:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're looking for plans to build your own leveling bags, check out the plans created in the following link. I collected all of his info into a Word doc and printed it out and headed to the store and after that the garage. I followed his plans precisely (with the exception that I used steel straps) and the bags work great! The gentelman who created these plans did one of the best jobs I've ever seen regarding documenting his assembling process.

Bag Plans

TTR

Washboy

Denver, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/09 06:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the 411 TTR. I knew I wasn't the only tinkerer out there. BTW, I built my 1st pipe clamp chocks back in 2003...they're still working great today.

My test is now at about 8 hours and the leveler is still holding at 30psi. Guess I'll go ahead and build the 2nd.

[image]

[image]

TreeTopRanch

Fort Worth, TX, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/09 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice!!!

I like the black much better than the red that I have. What pressure is the black hose material rated at?

Oh, and if you have a small leak, I bet a can of "Fix-a-Flat" would solve it. That was my back up plan if they leaked and I couldn't fix it without tearing them apart.

TTR

Washboy

Denver, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/09 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kuriyama rates the Gator Flow at 150psi WP

Wow! What a great instructional thread...that guy oughta write a book! I could have spent less thinking time and more building time if I had seen that earlier.

I used 1-1/4" x 1/8" aluminum strap but everything else is nearly identical. Amazing!

My dual inflator will feature a brass cross fitted with a radiator petcock for handsfree deflation and a pressure guage. Instead of hose I'll use a length of 3/8" poly tubing and a couple of push-lock fittings...stuff I already have on the shelf. I carry a portable air compressor on every trip so I expect inflation will take less than 30 seconds.

Now...has anybody come up with a level that beeps so I can "hear" when I've got the coach level? That would be good for all my solo travels. On second thought, maybe I'll just build a remote inflation control valve that I can control from inside the coach... [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Home made air levelers - UPDATED with BIG NEWS!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS