|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Insulation project

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/09 09:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pjay9 wrote:

I have discovered another area that needs some attention, which I think was mentioned in another thread. The area behind the stove where the water line comes in to fill the tank. Just looking thru the gap I can see that it is uninsulated and the wall fitting could use some insulation sort of like the outside shower cabinet. Also the space back there is empty and full of sawdust...why can't they vacuum when building these rigs. It apperas that an ouitside door could be fitted and a nice sized storage compartment could be installed to hold water fitting, filter or what have you. It may even be the size to accomdate on the premade boat bins with a gasketed door and lock. We will have to see! :>) Capt PJ

Well I remounted the cord box. As I had to access from the inside to fix I was able to insulate it from the inside. Kinda nice since I lost 2" of cord storage space-ha. I never thought too much of those cord doors till I got behind it.
When I tried to shove box back woudnt move, removal of panel showed a ground clamp had been installed, it was hitting the drain locking the bottom of the box in its current postion. So its been like that since camper was built. Whoever installed box went to lunch before finishing, whoever installed ground lug didnt notice box wasnt against wall, or the lug was preinstaleld, &box wouldnt go against wall due to lug and they just attached at top. It had never been attached to wall along sides & bottom, but in 8 years theres no sign of the 'sawdust' having ever got wet. so that lil door is amazing.

I also saw the fill door-almost transulacent. Definatly could use somthing. Next weekend when I remove acces to battery box, I can get to it. Im thinking just remove hoses and attached a piece to wall-reinstall hoses?. The battery box Ill wrap-the expandofoam idea-theres just 2 much stuff/wiring pump etc to do (easily).
Your wardrobe/propane box looks simular to mine, I like the soap trick

Thanks for the motivation!
Mark

* This post was last edited 01/13/09 08:51am by AnEv942 *   View edit history

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/09 10:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you get started on something you sometimes find the other issues to resolve. Gald you got the wire bin fixed, bet that makes a big differance. While I had the cubby out I pulled a wire for future use...may put one of those 12V 100watt defroster heaters in the dump well, so when running down the road it keeps thing warm or when hooked up to site electricity or gen is running. But will see if my insulation schemes do the trick first.

Good luck with the expando, make sure you make some dams to guide the stuff and not fall back into usable space...it is really gooy and sticks to everything! Practice with something you can throw away.

Gald I was able to inspire and help with ideas. Brian and Sleepy are you there? Capt PJ

2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

3+tons ain't pc

northern, ca.

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/09 11:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, what a great idea and a great result! But now I got another project on my plate...

2007 Dodge 3500 DRW,4x4,L/bed,Q/cab,6.7 diesel w/exhst brake,6 spd. auto,4:10,Timbrens, 2005 Citation 9-6 T/C, 1 keeper wife,1 son, 1 yellow lab, 2 quad polaris atv's & trailer,extreme lust for freedom & self accountibility, neither low output or income.

pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/09 11:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3+ What's on your plate? Capt PJ

* This post was edited 01/12/09 08:49am by pjay9 *

thundercloud

Durango, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/09 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great project PJ,

Where are you getting the polyethylene foam board from?

Happy TC'N,
David

pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/09 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tcloud, I get it from a local foam supply wholesale house, I have a business license, they cut it to the thickness I need and you have to buy a whole sheet 54x109. You can get different density also. Comes in 3, I think, blue white and pink just like the insulation board at HDepot, but this stuff is flexible and resiliant. If you go on line I see companies out there that will ship it to you. Got to go working on the water filler behind the stove, pics to follow. Capt PJ

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/09 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pjay9 wrote:

....Brian and Sleepy are you there? Capt PJ

Yep, taking notes! Did you get the bottom of the closest back in well? I have to be careful about destrying pieces during removal as I am often slow about getting things back in to place nicely.

In any case, good work here.

pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/09 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The insulation project contiues...this was fairly simple...6 screws and the stove pulled out enough to allow access with the gas line still attached. I vacuumed the area first as it was full of sawdust ans metal chips.
Took some photos of the filler port. Note that the air duct was touching the hose and right next to the hole in the wall.
[image]
Four inch uninsulated hole.
[image]
I cut some more foam and slid it around the tubes and screwed it to the wall, filled the gap with a small wedge of foam (after I took this photo I tucked it down a bit further to seal off the opening)
[image]
In the following photo please take note of a few things...Breather tube has some pipe wrap on it as it is the tube with an open end (convection) therefore it will be colder than the fill tube which is capped preventing air from entering. On the bottom there is the hot and cold feed to the bathroom. 1/2" foam is placed under the pipes to keep them from touching the outside wing (conduction) and the hot pipe is separated from the cold water source pipe with a piece of pipe wrap (conduction again).
[image]
I measured the area and found that there is sufficent room to install a 11x15 door access from the outside and a 7" deep box behind the stove. It would be a handy cubby and a good use of dead space, the box probably will only be 6" deep inside as there will be 1" of insulation around it. Thinking of using a marine type hatch, flush fit. Have fun folks! Capt PJ

3+tons ain't pc

northern, ca.

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/09 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whats on my plate you ask?? Well now I gotta take on this great idea that you have planted in my head! Like I really need another project to deal with...but I just can't allow my fellow TC contemperaries to get a leg up on me...AIN'T GONN'A HAPPEN!!

thanks for the inspiration.
3 tons

thundercloud

Durango, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/09 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3+tons ain't pc wrote:

Whats on my plate you ask?? Well now I gotta take on this great idea that you have planted in my head! Like I really need another project to deal with...but I just can't allow my fellow TC contemperaries to get a leg up on me...AIN'T GONN'A HAPPEN!!

thanks for the inspiration.
3 tons

Ya but these are fun frustrating projects that should have been done at the factory [emoticon] , but then again the bean counters would not like this type of attention to detail [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Insulation project
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.