|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Pass thru window

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/09 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My pass thru window is a non useable window in my TC. Last year my truck was broken into thru the back slider window and I requested it be repalced with a solid window instead of the complex easy to break into slider...that is another story with the insurance company. So the window in the TC is not a pass thru. Since this is a 1161 Lance side door there is no little wide angle window in the back to see thru so there is no need to look thru the window. Only thing it could be good for is ventilation on a pleasant day, but then you'd be outside anyway.

In the winter it is a cold spot and the curtain is a pain and dirt magnet with dogs around...so I eliminated the curtain and made an insulated back rest cushion held in place with the side step and one velcro strip...it is a nice place to sit and put your shoes on or just to get out the way for the DW.

Pass thru
[image]

Insulated cushion
[image]

Makes it more private and warmer. Capt PJ

2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

phoenix827

torrington, ct

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/09 03:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice idea!

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/09 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It doesn't need to be a pass-through window for us, but, since Lance doesn't put windows in the sides of the slide any more (and there is no cabover forward window), the ONLY way to look forward from where you are parked/camped is through that little front window. It's not that often but once in awhile I pull the curtains aside and crouch down to look through that window to see what the heck is happening at "12 o'clock". But I like the idea of having a removable cover/backrest at least.

nny12972

NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/09 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice touch IF you don't need the pass-through....

I have a twin bed in my CAP, as well as the dogs riding back there a lot.....my TRUCK-BOOT keeps the rain and road dust out....AND, I can easily heat or cool the CAP from the cab----powered roof vent keeps it real nice back there on the road, and it's pre-heated or cooled when I get there.....the flow-through ventilation without road noise is also nice when there's no need for heat/cooling....
J

Ohiojude

Westmoreland County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/09 05:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great Idea!! We have an 1161 also and think the window is useless. I am gonna show my DH your idea 2nite. Thank you for sharing this.

judy

2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ diesel dually, Curt Q20 Hitch
**traded in-the lemon- 2012 Winnie Raven 5th Wheel**
for a marvelous-2014 Big Country 3596RE
Traveling with 3 wonderful Feline Furboys Milo, Mason and Mozart

Gary3

Windsor, ON

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/09 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine would get the carpet wet when we drove in the rain.

Gary  Lance  1191 solar Gen.

goldwinghauler

Monterey, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/09 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great idea

2017 Dodge Ram 3500HD Cummins Diesel CC LB 4WD Dually w/ Supersprings SSA-24 and Hellwig Big Wig Sway Bar
2018 Eagle Cap 1165

pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/09 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thx for the comments. Viewing forward was one idea I didn't want to stop doing so that is why I didn't cover it with a permenant panel of insulation screwed in place. As for removable panels over other windows a good idea for sure. But may I suggest it be a flexable insulation material like I used in the INSULATION PROJECT thread, which this panel is made out of. It is easier to cut and accepts batting and fabric using foam glue ususlly avaibale at fabric stores.

If it needs to move it it stands up in the slot adjacent when the slid is out. Another idea that sleepy has done is to put a filter on the outside at one of the side doors that leads to the truck bed. and uses the vent fan to draw air. It has some really good advantages.

For those of you that use your windows, I am gald they are there and you have a good way to use them. For the leaker, I had on the old 880 one of those and i took off the window and resealed it and found the culprit of the leak...it was the rain gutter thingy that they stuck up under the edge...so while window was off it came off and all the scre holes were filled and a new bead put down and thenthe windoe frame made a sandwich and ozzed cauled when all secured...never leaked again.

I am sure that many of you will have different solutions to this and I look forward to seeing them posted. Glad I could get the juices flowing! And be helpful. Capt PJ

PS I hope the DH thinks it is a good idea and just not a HONEY DO ITEM! HEHE! :>)))

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/09 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice idea! I like that insulation panel insert over the pass-through window.

I think I'll make portable panels from 1-inch Dow, and another one for that large dinette window (the worst offender for advection), for late fall camping...I can envision numerous places to store the boards when not in use.

The pass-through window is very useful for us. We use it for ventilation on warm days (crack the window, and turn on variable-speed vent, to pull in cool air from under the truck); and to do what BTG does: a lookout useful for security, etc...

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

thundercloud

Durango, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/09 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a great idea Capt. PJ. Yet another project on my to do list. The past through window in our Outfitter was even more useless as it was way too large (3/4 the size of the with of the camper)and was covered mostly by the kitchen cabinets on one side and dinette cushion back on the other. This was a hugh heat loss and the viewing was no more than the smaller pass through windows. Way useless in my opinion. You are right about using for viewing at the 12:00 position, thats all I use it for.

Happy TC'N,
David

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Pass thru window
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS