RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Weekend Trip: TCs rule the (A-Basin) beach - no sand...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Weekend Trip: TCs rule the (A-Basin) beach - no sand...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/09 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So we took a little weekend trip to A-Basin, probably my favorite 'old school' ski area. A no frills, awesome skiing, great skicamping place.

Things did change a little this year; I got an E-mail saying no more camping in the Last Chance Lot which is a major downer. But there is still some space in a small lot across from the CDOT building. Not sure the elevation there, but it's way up there....better have your water systems and heater setup, or leave it dry. This was a first test of my own basement mods.

The basic story of the beach is this: you cannot camp in their lots, but if you arrive early enough and can get in the front row, you are styling for the day. Ski right to your car, grill, camper, whatever it is you bring. So we camped in that little lot up top, and then moved down once the lower lot opens, and have to leave at the end of the day. Officially, the lot is open from 7AM to 6PM, but you have to get there a bit earlier than that.

We headed up from home on Friday night, about 8PM. You'd think that would avoid I-70 traffic, but it was pretty heavy at least until well after Idaho Springs. Got to the lot at 10 or something, and there were a few other TC'ers, and one motorhome. Got up in the morning and the other Lance and a Hallmark was already gone.

Early birds get the spots...three vehicles, three TC's.
[image]

Because of the popularity (especially in the spring) they now rent about 6 spots out guarenteed, for $100, so you do not HAVE to get there so early. Between the posts are the rental spots:
[image]

TC's rule:
[image]

How's this one for that back window (or looking out my backdoor) thread from awhile back:
[image]

Lot starting to fill up....there's a Hallmark down the way:
[image]

Lunchtime:
[image]

Riding the lift...still wear that 20 year old IH hat. I guess I'm a truck guy?
[image]

The East wall...still needing a lot of snow:
[image]

There are always a lot of dogs running around. These two Rottweiler pups were adorable:
[image]

Back at the campsite...we'd gotten to know the couple + kids in the older lance; shared a campfire that night with them and a few others. My buddy has a great shot of the campfire but he hasn't sent them to me yet....
[image]

Early birds again. Our neighbors beat us again!
[image]

My excuse for being a weenie on the slopes this year, at least to start with. The left one is the bad one, the right has been getting problems from favoring it so I wore braces on both. It kept me from skiing too much, which is one more reason being at the beach is so nice...you can ski a few runs and get right back to your rig.
[image]

Viewed from above....can even see our camper:
[image]

The beach at mid-day. Not as crazy as it is in the spring, especially late when the sun is hot and the bumps are deep...nothing like mashed potato moguls in April or May! I even saw a hot tub on a gooseneck trailer one time. This early in the season it isn't so crazy. The group that rented those first spots had a giant party going...
[image]

Here's their BBQ:
[image]

Here's a few more dogs.....can you tell we miss ours?
[image]

All in all, a great weekend. I didn't screw up my knee, the weather was nice (although no fresh snow) people were cool, I heard a lot of comments about my rig and showed it to many. It was kind of funny to hang in the camper and listen to people walking by and commenting on it. 18seeds stopped by with a buddy and said hello and we also made some friendships with other TC'ers. We are going again this weekend but we may ski Loveland instead....I'm starting to use up my A-Basin 4-pack tickets already....need to save some for spring.

Butch50, hope you (and everyone else) enjoyed the photos.

2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/09 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btggraphix wrote:

...Things did change a little this year; I got an E-mail saying no more camping in the Last Chance Lot which is a major downer. But there is still some space in a small lot across from the CDOT building...

I thought the LC parking was on Forest Service land? Are they patrolling it? Is it posted "No Camping" or "No Overnight Parking?"
Is the small lot to which you refer more up towards Loveland?

I am going to Google Earth it... I may pm you a waypoint to verify the location.

When you heading up next? (I could not make this past weekend...had my CCW class.)

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/09 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d3500ram wrote:

btggraphix wrote:

...Things did change a little this year; I got an E-mail saying no more camping in the Last Chance Lot which is a major downer. But there is still some space in a small lot across from the CDOT building...

I thought the LC parking was on Forest Service land? Are they patrolling it? Is it posted "No Camping" or "No Overnight Parking?"
Is the small lot to which you refer more up towards Loveland?

I am going to Google Earth it... I may pm you a waypoint to verify the location.

When you heading up next? (I could not make this past weekend...had my CCW class.)

The Last Chance Lot is gated now, locked up. Now some of you might suggest I either push it over with my bumper, or use my winch to rip it out but I won't do that [emoticon]

Yes, the lot I am talking about is just slightly towards Loveland/ up the hill and it essentially across the street from CDOT (a hair uphill.) You can't really miss it if you are coming up. As soon as you see the gated off Last Cahnce, you'll wonder where to turn around and keep going a little, then see this lot on the left. It isn't very big compared to the old one....so if a lot of people start going there later in the spring, it could pose a problem. So everyone - forget I mentioned this place [emoticon]

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/09 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PS: Forgot to say I'll likely be up there again this weekend, but may not ski A-Basin...may drive back over the hill and go to Loveland in the morning. Anyone ever camp on the Loveland side? Also Frank, I am not sure how they made the change as I had heard they couldn't close it due to USFS 14 day rules. Apparently there are some exceptions to that for local situations; also, they did do some improvements/changes to the other lots, and perhaps they got the USFS to agree to letting them close it. I DID hear that so many idiots had been leaving garbage and sewage they really had gotted fed up with it.

unlimitedlove

Cincinnati

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/09 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How big was the truck camper on the Kodiak?

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/09 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sucks that it is gated! We used to have fires in the LC Lot... can you have a fire in the CDOT Lot?

btggraphix wrote:

Forgot to say I'll likely be up there again this weekend, but may not ski A-Basin...may drive back over the hill and go to Loveland in the morning. Anyone ever camp on the Loveland side? ...

Loveland is too windy for me... besides... I only have the KAB pass. Remember, this weekend is a holiday weekend. Loveland being close to DVR will be crowded.

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/09 09:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

unlimitedlove wrote:

It is an 1191 Lance. 11 foot, side door. It belongs to the author of this thread.

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/09 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

unlimitedlove wrote:

You mean how big IS the TC on my Kodiak? It's an 06 Lance 1191.
edit: You beat me to it TheMadNorsky.

PR Connection

Powell River BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/09 11:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pics ..... wanna see the campfire though. Nothing like a couple...(dozen)... lambs navy rum and cokes by the fire.

Here's a nice fire to stay warm by

[image]

When you coming up in this direction?
Dan

2019 Arctic Fox 990 ">
Fully loaded!!!

cm

Dillon, CO USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/09 11:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All three of the A-Basin parking lots now have gates and all three are locked at night. So no camping.

If you look at the lot across the highway from the CDOT building there is a older truck with a pickup camper up in the corner right next to the highway closure gate. That truck has been there since at least last summer.

The CDOT lot is just below the highway closure gate so when Loveland Pass is closed you can still drive down towards Keystone on Highway 6.

To the right (uphill)of the closure gate look at the big mound that is at the bottom of the gully that runs up to Grizzly Peak. It extends to just above the guard rail and the closure gate. It is easier to see it without snow in the summer. That is actually a big mound of dirt and gravel that washed down from Grizzly in late July, 5 or 6 years ago from a big thunder storm. Some of that slid down almost 2,000 feet. It covered the highway at least 15 to 20 feet deep. The heavy rain also cut a gully in the Wrangler ski run 10 to 12 feet deep.

For anyone who remembers that was the same storm that caused a mud slide on I-70 from the north side between the Bakerville and Herman Gulch exits and closed the interstate for two days.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Weekend Trip: TCs rule the (A-Basin) beach - no sand...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.