RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping: Fresh Water?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
RandCBowlin

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/09 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please forgive how naive this question must sound but here goes... we've generally used our RV for traveling from one place to another and almost exclusively have stayed in places that have at least water and electric. We're now retired and want to start boondocking. Where do you fill your fresh water tank? It doesn't make sense to fill it at home and then haul 90 gallons of water 400+ miles.

2009 Open Range 337RLS
2001 Ford F350 Supercab 4X4 Dually
Lily and Lexi (our wonderful rescue Doberwomen)

Elias

Bay Area, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/09 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually fill ours about a third to half of the way before a trip so we can use the toilet on the way. Once we get to where we're going, it's filled up. Sometimes if you don't know what lies ahead, it's better to fill up and not have to worry about it.

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/09 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haul water. I like having it when I need it and it doesn't have any discernible impact on my MPG. I acquire water from just about any gas island where I refuel. In the winter, outside spigots are turned off up north. I can usually fill my tank from an inside spigot at an auto service bay, at WalMart, for example. Never hurts to ask and I haven't been turned down yet.

RVn Full-time

Road Runners

Tampa Bay, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/09 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can always find a place to fill your water tank. I have filled ours, with permission, at filling stations, peoples homes, commercial camp grounds (sometime a small fee), etc. If your staying in public parks that does not have on-site water connections they always have a common water spigot where you can fill your tank.

'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/09 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I go boondocking pretty much the same area of eastern Oregon all the time. I have scouted around and ask the gas stations we use to refuel and they are more than happy to let you water up any time of the year. We have stopped there during the various hunting season and we know of a few other places around town that will let you fill up. it takes time to get all this done but worth it's weight in gold. I always take their hoses off and use my fresh water hoses. That's a trick I've learned on this forum. by using the gas stations water we have saved a lot of gas towing over some of these mountain passes. stop ans ask, you may be surprised what you can get for nothing

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/09 09:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eycom wrote:

I haul water. I like having it when I need it and it doesn't have any discernible impact on my MPG.
In the west, it's not the MPG that's a factor. Ninety gallons of water is 720#, not an insignificant amount of additional weight to haul up steep passes at high altitudes. We generally fill 1/3rd or so before we go, unless we're going where we know there's not an opportunity to fill again. But I'll try to track down rest areas, gas stations and the like before we leave just to know where our refill options are.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

w6pea

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/09 11:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually have about 2/3 of a tank. I don't use our water tank for drinking water. I know I will catch heck for saying this but when we stop to load up on groceries we buy water. If we don't use all of it we keep it in the rig. We usually have 10 gals. of drinking water with us.

Be careful what you post here....big brother is watching!!

Remember "Without Trucker's America Stops"
"Buy American Made Only!"
It's too late to save your shoes..roll up your pant legs
"When all else fails..Amateur Radio"
I need more Coffee & Old Bushmills
If We Can't Haul It..You Don't Need It. Motor-T
Semper Fi

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/09 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4runnerguy wrote:

Eycom wrote:

I haul water. I like having it when I need it and it doesn't have any discernible impact on my MPG.
In the west, it's not the MPG that's a factor. Ninety gallons of water is 720#, not an insignificant amount of additional weight to haul up steep passes at high altitudes. We generally fill 1/3rd or so before we go, unless we're going where we know there's not an opportunity to fill again. But I'll try to track down rest areas, gas stations and the like before we leave just to know where our refill options are.

Good point... I understand. While my tank holds half as much, and our hills are a little lower in the Smokies and Appalachians, the turbo diesel rules. Whether there's 4300# in the bed, or 3900#, there are no power issues. In the mountains or on the flats, the two factors affecting my MPG are headwinds and higher speed. Aside from that, I get between 12 and 13 either way.

Ro646a

New Boston, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/09 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

w6pea wrote:

I usually have about 2/3 of a tank. I don't use our water tank for drinking water. I know I will catch heck for saying this but when we stop to load up on groceries we buy water. If we don't use all of it we keep it in the rig. We usually have 10 gals. of drinking water with us.

Be careful what you post here....big brother is watching!!

We do the same thing. We use bottled water for drinking and the water in our tank or from the campsite for washing, showers, etc.

Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy

bill h

hassayampa valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/09 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ro646a wrote:

w6pea wrote:

We do the same thing. We use bottled water for drinking and the water in our tank or from the campsite for washing, showers, etc.

People drink water?

NOTE: Any incorrect spelling is intentional to prevent those annoying popups.

84 Barth 30Tag powered by HT502/Thorley/Weiand etc, Gear Vendors OD.
Siamese Calvin and Airedale Hobbes, 4WD Toyota toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.