RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Wind noise while driving the Seneca

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Wind noise while driving the Seneca

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cool Mike

No. California

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/09 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought you were not suppose to adjust the side door, but you can add thicker foam striping to stop or slow any air leaks. Also make sure all coach windows are closed and locked. You may all be ahead of me, buy more will follow on this thread.
CM.

2001 27' Four Winds Class-C E-450 V-10.
Buick Park Ave Ultra, Ford Ranger PU, JD 500 backhoe.
1941 Farm All "A"

bumpus4

Tn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/09 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Westronics wrote:

I haven't tried this myself, but someone reported noise from the mirror arm was a problem, and overcame this using AirTabs.

You can try pulling the mirror in and see if the noise is less and that would be a strong indicator that this is indeed the problem.

If so, see http://www.airtab.com/en/Product_Applications_24/29.html. Look to the bottom of the page for the text above this picture:

[image]

I suspect that the wind problem for Class C's is not the the same, though, so this solution might not work.

This could work and I will check it out. The wind tabs are what we call vortex generators. They create vortesies that make the air break up rather than having a smooth slide creating wind noise.

Tks,
bumpus4

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/09 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool Mike wrote:

I thought you were not suppose to adjust the side door,

Why not? If it needs adjustment do it. There is no foam in my doors. Adding a thicker piece of rubber may help. Adjusting the door is easier and cost less if you have the tools.

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad

Super C Group Forum

ASA Glamis

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/09 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool Mike wrote:

I thought you were not suppose to adjust the side door

I did mine and it did reduce the wind noise.

2007 Jayco Seneca 35GS

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/09 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Class-C or Super-C with the common cab-over bed, creates a real good wind "funnel". It forces 2 to 4 times the volume of air around to the sides of the cab that would otherwise pass above the vehicle. Thus, you get a lot of wind noise. You actually simulate what the wind noise would be if you had simple van or truck, traveling down the highway at 2 to 4 times your actual speed.

You have shared different solutions to combat it. I hope they work for you. But there is only so much you can expect.

The aero-dynamic cap approach we like to call a B+, allows all frontal air to continue it's natural path up and away from the windshiled, thus greatly reducing the wind noise on the sides by the cab doors.

I owned a very small and aero-dynamic class-C Seen Here for many years. At 55-60mph, with the window rolled down, when you put your hand out the window to feel the air coming across the windshield, it was "EXTREME". It felt like we were traveling 125mph. With my new B+, it is normal as would be expected, traveling in a car.

A short lecture on aero-dynamics and wind noise. I hope I didn't bore you.

* This post was edited 02/20/09 12:33pm by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

bumpus4

Tn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/09 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

A Class-C or Super-C with the common cab-over bed, creates a real good wind "funnel". It forces 2 to 4 times the volume of air around to the sides of the cab that would otherwise pass above the vehicle. Thus, you get a lot of wind noise. You actually simulate what the wind noise would be if you had simple van or truck, traveling down the highway at 2 to 4 times your actual speed.

You have shared different solutions to combat it. I hope they work for you. But there is only so much you can expect.

The aero-dynamic cap approach we like to call a B+, allows all frontal air to continue it's natural path up and away from the windshiled, thus greatly reducing the wind noise on the sides by the cab doors.

I owned a very small and aero-dynamic class-C Seen Here for many years. At 55-60mph, with the window rolled down, when you put your hand out the window to feel the air coming across the windshield, it was "EXTREME". It felt like we were traveling 125mph. With my new B+, it is normal as would be expected, traveling in a car.

A short lecture on aero-dynamics and wind noise. I hope I didn't bore you.

Good pictures and am never bored seeing new way to do things.
Tks,
bumpus4

Cool Mike

No. California

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/09 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may have all ready been suggested, but have someone else drive, and you climb around in the back and listen for the air noise. Then you will know where to put your energy and time in trying to stop it.
M.

Travelin2

SW Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/09 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had bad wind noise on our Forrest River Lexington. We went through the usual taping off the stove vent,entry door, sliding windows and such. We finally tracked it down to the front awning post at the top where the wind accelerates around the cap made a perfect whistle. We experimented with duct tape to narrow it down to the top 1 foot of the channel being the culprit. We removed the tape and cut a piece of foam pipe insulation to fit and forced it in the channel and no more noise.

John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2002 Bigfoot 25B21RB
2012 Avalanche Black Diamond LTZ 4x4

fjmny57

buffalo, ny

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/09 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this may be something you already considered but if you have your backup camera and monitor on there is a remote mic and you can adjust the volume on that. Some people leave that on when they are driving and forget to turn the volume down. Just a thought!

Ran

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/09 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone tried these door visor/wind deflectors? They are relatively inexpensive. I had them on one of the pick-up trucks and liked them.

[image]

Randy & Sue
2015 Roadtrek 190 Popular

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Wind noise while driving the Seneca
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS