|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Dealer Screw Up Doing Oil Change on my 2006 Sprinter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bishopdave

Today - Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/09 11:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I would ask them to just drain the oil, and refill. No need to change the filter. This is just to be safe, and I too think that no damage was done...although you did not state how many miles you drove in total, my guess it was around 20 miles. I would much rather have a good oil change now, than a free one in 5,000 miles.

Dave Bishop
FT since 2006

Rvndave

Medina, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/09 03:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had this happen once, Made them change all the oil and filter, and refund the cost of the 2 quarts extra. I now do all my oil changes.

2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/09 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same rig 2006 ,I 5 MB diesel . your ok to much is a hell of alot better than none , get it all in writing and don;t worry about it , things happen even at the very best of dealers , you got a great bullet proof engine , p/s its better than the V6 .

Chirpnchicks

Summerfield, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/09 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Midnightsadie said, "you got a great bullet proof engine , p/s its better than the V6 ."
Slightly off topic but what, for heavens sake, makes you say that?
Jay
PS I have a 5 cyl too.

mike_mcginn

Fort Myers, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/09 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jerry... Be careful that the excess oil did not get blown
into the filters. Overfilled by even one quart can cause
problems. I only allow them to use 9 quarts to change
the oil in my 06 and top it off if needed, myself.
I would do a search for oil overfill on Sprinter Source
and the Yahoo Sprinter group.
Also verify that they used the correct oil for 06 and
not the oil for 07 and later.

2006 Pleasure-Way Plateau TS Sprinter B Camper Van
Sunny Fort Myers, Florida

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/09 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well per the M/B rep the I 5 is a proven engine , the V 6 is new , has not had the yrs of service the I 5 has shown this a M/B rep telling me this . he also said the only reason M/B went the V6 route is EPA rules on emissions , look again this a M/B rep talking not a RV sales person.

Hit The Road Jack

Treasure Coast of Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/09 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

well per the M/B rep the I 5 is a proven engine , the V 6 is new , has not had the yrs of service the I 5 has shown this a M/B rep telling me this . he also said the only reason M/B went the V6 route is EPA rules on emissions , look again this a M/B rep talking not a RV sales person.

As far as trusting any Sprinter dealership changing oil/filter...fuel filter etc. is concerned I DON'T...'yours truly' will change these fluids and filters thank you!...I can't answer your questions on engine component damage due to oil over-fill unfortunately...[emoticon]

I heard similar reports regarding stepping up to a 6 cylinder diesel engine to compensate for power loss due to present emission requirements.

jgaylor

Dewey, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/09 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Sprinter tech(one who did the work), and the service manager came to the house today to drain excess oil and check things out. I told them the RV sits low to the ground and they probably could not get under it.

They drove it back to the dealership, drained oil, changed filter, said they did a through inspection, found no seal problems, they checked air filter and it was okay. I am going to look at radiator fluid tomorrow to make sure there is no oil in the coolant. They delivered it back to me, and the service manager said the next oil change was on them, and they also refunded me for the extra 3 quarts.
They also apologized many times. They said they had generated a service order detailing the problem and what they did. I have asked for a copy for my records.

My Pleasureway has 12,500 miles on it, and the bumper to bumper warranty expires 11/20/2009, I also have the 7 year 70k power train warranty from Dodge.

Thanks for all that responded, I appreciate it. Now I will just have to see if anything develops.

Retired Boeing Computing Professional 6/99 Renton Washington.

Jerry & Roberta, and Bandit.

2006 Pleasureway Plateau (purchased 11/23/2006) Loaded With All options.

Chirpnchicks

Summerfield, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/09 05:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jgaylor said, "They delivered it back to me, and the service manager said the next oil change was on them, and they also refunded me for the extra 3 quarts."

That's good! At the rate that you drive let's hope the dealership is still in business. I'm likely to lose the closest Sprinter shop to me this spring.
Jay

kmessinger

Bay area but NOT San Francisco or Berkeley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/09 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ended up short oil when the mechanic followed the gas regime vs the diesel regime. I don't think you did damage per the fast response by the dealer but all of us need to point out to the service writer to underline what type of engine we have.

Regards,

Keith

2017.5 Winnebago Travato.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Dealer Screw Up Doing Oil Change on my 2006 Sprinter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.