RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: TC entry door window update!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC entry door window update!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
camp4

SF Bay area

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/09 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice.I did mine two weeks ago,But no double pane.Now enjoy the view.Mine was leaking too.About a good afternoon job.

2004 Ford F350 CrewCab Dually Diesel Long Bed Stable Load Bump Stops S/S Dual Exhaust Loaded 2011 Montana 3150 34FT Mor/Ryde Pin/Suspension Reese Elite 18 Hitch John MaryAnn

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/09 11:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I figured a little more effort to get a layer of air between the panes would be worth it. PJ I will shoot some photos and post them back over here. I really hated my singles in the 1140. My 1150 dual panes really are nice. The view is a lot better camp4 for sure!

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/09 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry Capt PJ it took a while to get you these pics...almost spaced it.
This is the low profile latch....the window shade fits right over it.
[image]
I like the screens too...they open and close eaisly.
[image]
[image]
They only have weep holes on the bottom.
[image]

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/09 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I've finished all the winter projects I wanted thus far so now I'm ready to do the window swap.

I guess only one more question. I was thinking clear silicone to do the re sealing. Or is there something better?

Thanks.....DJ

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/09 09:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh no DJ! Don't do it with silicone! YES, there is much better ways! I have done windows many times and copy the techniques of the builders. Most, if not all, of the product you need is going to be at your local RV parts dealers. I want to say I did a post of this way back....MMM. I know I have many pics of this and how to do it. Clear or white Proflex, Grey ribbon, using paint thinner to spread and clean things....this gets involved, but ANY silicone is out of the question.

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/09 10:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the stuff you need: Ribbon sealer.
[image]
And a product called Proflex. After the opening is sealed, regardless if it is a window or any opening....let it stand for a day or two while the excess oozes out, re-tighten it a little and re-trim it, then reseal the perimeter with the Proflex. Only do this on vertical applications, Roofs are another thing altogether!
[image]
This is as short as I can make it, correct me if I'm wrong. This has worked for me well!

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/09 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you so much!!! I'm needing to re caulk the sides this summer too. Use the same stuff?

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/09 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes! Use a plastic scraper to get most of the old stuff off. Then clean up the perimeters with a paint thinner, it will come off easy. Do you have aluminum siding or a Filon type?? Be careful if it is aluminum, test a spot before going in. Just wipe it clean and re-apply. Float the bead using you finger and some of the thinner to lubricate your finger. It should slide right along the top of the sealant and then evaporate.

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/09 04:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K wrote:

Yes! Use a plastic scraper to get most of the old stuff off. Then clean up the perimeters with a paint thinner, it will come off easy. Do you have aluminum siding or a Filon type?? Be careful if it is aluminum, test a spot before going in. Just wipe it clean and re-apply. Float the bead using you finger and some of the thinner to lubricate your finger. It should slide right along the top of the sealant and then evaporate.

Yes, it's filon. And thanks so much........AGAIN!!!!! [emoticon][emoticon]

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/09 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job kkeller14k.....I guess I am confused where you used the roll of ribbon sealer?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC entry door window update!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.