|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Gooseneck adapter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Dwight45

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/09 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the B @ W turnover ball with 5th wheel adaptor hitch. I'm thinking of buying the 5th wheel to gooseneck adaptor for my Raptor and just using the turnover hitch. It would give me more room in the truck bed and (I think)better side to side hitch movement. We'll be doing some boondocking this summer and I'm a little concerned about twisting things when pulling off the road into a camping spot. What do you all think? Turnover ball hitch rated to 30,000lbs.

Dwight

KTM570

Storage

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/09 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run one on our Komfort Karry-All 36FKA 40,000 miles...ahead...ahead
[image]

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/09 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dwight, the Raptor was one that the factory said no to Gooseneck adapters a few years ago. Using void the frame warranty. Just FYI. It's probably more of a CYA move by Keystone, but still..

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

saleenguy

Kamloops B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/09 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to own a fifth wheel travel trailer, and gooseneck utility trailer for hauling equipmewnt, cars, hay on.

I used an adaptor for a few years, and many 10's of thousands of miles, and it worked great.

I would not hesitate to do it again.

Traded my travel trailer for a camper.

Now I have to learn all the tricks to campers, I already knew for travel trailers.

richheck

Modesto, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/09 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dwight:

I tried going the gooseneck adapter over a B&W turn over ball on my 36' toy hauler a while back, didn't do too bad, felt a lot of bucking with the hitch leverage. Went to a 40' hauler and the pitch was unbearable. Changed over to a B&W Companion and have never been happier, don't heasitate, go the Companion route

2013 Ford F-350 4WD DWD 6.7PSD
2010 Jeep Wrangler
2017 Landmark 365 Arlington

Dwight45

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/09 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I forgot to mention that I do have an air ride hitch on the Raptor. I also have the B & W turnover and companion 5th hitch. I was just looking for more sideways articulation. I suppose I should just leave it alone, but I just can't see how the gooseneck puts more stress on the trailer.

Dwight

richheck

Modesto, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/09 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a simple matter of physics, as you drop the leverage point down around 16 inches with the gooseneck you are changing the fulcrum point also. This creates greater motion against the pin box connections (i.e. the frame work), whereas with the conventional hitch the lowest point is the pin connection area.

I work in the RV industry and have seen what can happen, especially when a person takes their unit off road like pismo etc and subjects the hitch to such greater loads. Ends up tearing the hitch box off of the frame, and sometimes this is not an easy area to get to to weld up and re-support the damage

Dwight45

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/09 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks richheck, hadn't even considered the difference in leverage. I appreciate your explanation. Guess I'll be happy with the 5th wheel hitch.

Dwight

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Gooseneck adapter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS