RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Dealers that won't take Workhorse trade-ins?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Dealers that won't take Workhorse trade-ins?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next
Sponsored By:
rjdjbd

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/09 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was recently out of town and I stopped at a large mega-store RV dealer to see what’s new for 2009-2010 and look over the ‘fairly-new’ used inventory. I told the salesperson right up front that I wasn’t really in the market, just killing time, so he allowed me to look around at my leisure.

Of course, if you spend too much time on one specific motorhome, the salesperson magically appears to answer those questions you might have. I came across a used 2008 diesel-pusher that I liked and sure enough, the salesperson told me that I was ‘in luck’, that it was ‘on sale’ and ‘looking for a new home.’ He had me come over and sit at his desk, to ‘work out some numbers’, just to see if this diesel was in the ball park’. Out comes the write-up sheet: name, address, phone number… ‘do you have a trade-in’?

Sure, I don’t have it with me but I have a 2005 Winnebago… tells me ‘okay’, do you know what chassis brand it is? ‘Of course, it’s a W20 Workhorse…’ He then says ‘oh, oh’… and pulls a big binder out and opens it up for me to scan. He tells me that Workhorse motorhomes have been having ‘a lot of problems’ and ‘it’s kind of hard to sell them or take them in on trade right now’. I ask him ‘what kind of problems’ and he shows me a section of the binder that has printed pages of customer complaints from the NHTSA website… I flip through a few pages and then he tells me to ‘look at this’ and then goes to a section that has a whole lot of pages in clear-sheets, printed from (CORRECTION: It's the Workhorse Forum at another site, not here.) this very website regarding all the Workhorse Brake Issues… (I recognized a few but pretended I wasn’t familiar with the problem.) Bottom line, he told me that the store didn’t take in certain model year Workhorse motorhomes and suggested I try to sell it on my own.

So I told him that since I wasn’t really in the market that day, no problem, but what would my motorhome be worth if I tried to sell it. He brings out the sales manager, who then reiterates that they don’t want my motorhome at any price. I question the ‘at any price’ statement and he tells me that the trade-in value would be low NADA value on a comparable Ford, minus $20 thousand because ‘no informed buyer’ wants it; it also gave the store room to re-do the entire brake system at the previous owners’ expense.

The sales manger claims that his experience is that it will sit in inventory forever and then he explained to me that the dealer currently has two lawsuits pending against it: he claims that one buyer is suing because ‘the store knew, or should have known about the Workhorse brake problems and didn’t properly disclose it to the buyer’ and a second suit filed by a bank, claiming the buyer let it go to repossession because he couldn’t resolve the brake problems with Workhorse Corp. The bank took a heavy loss and was going after the dealer for, again, not properly disclosing a commonly known safety defect. While I too doubted that either suit will prevail, the sales manger said that they have spent ‘thousands’ in defending themselves because Workhorse isn’t taking any financial responsibility or repairing any brakes.

I was disappointed to hear all of this of course, and told him that it didn’t seem like good business to essentially refuse to accept certain chassis motorhome trade-ins but he claims that’s exactly his point: taking certain model-year Workhorse motorhomes is a bad business decision, and that he knew about it first-hand.

While I’m sure it’s perfectly legal on refusing certain motorhome trade-ins, that dealers don’t want to be stuck with ‘turkeys’ as they had put it, how does this impact Workhorse owners and where does this put us if you want to trade-in?

* This post was edited 02/25/09 01:05pm by rjdjbd *

Richard

RV.net member rjdjbd

2005 Winnebago Sightseer 34.5A
Workhorse chassis w/ Allison 5-speed transmission

RV There Yet?

69RoadRunner

VA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/09 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They don't want trade-ins, period.

Much like when a politician speaks, this was a "shovel ready" deal, and you'd better have hip waders, too.

They want to make money. If they take your trade, they won't make any money until they sell it.

09 Newmar Ventana 3942
Bunkbeds for the munchkins

rvtommy

blooming prairie minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/09 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do not mind what dealer in northern Ca. was that?? (not many left in Northern Ca.) rvtommy

this is rvtommy

rjdjbd

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/09 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvtommy wrote:

If you do not mind what dealer in northern Ca. was that?? (not many left in Northern Ca.) rvtommy

Don't want to get in trouble by naming the specific dealer, but I was travelling and the dealer isn't in Northern California.

b ubblerboy64

946 Ashton Shippensburg Pa 17257

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/09 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Typical. This is why when I deal with buying and selling RV's of any type I sell my own privately and buy only from a private party. I just will not sit and listen to this BS. And they talk about used car dealers. You just have to laugh in the face of people who try to deal like that. Its not only the economy that's killing some of these dealers. I have little sympathy for most of them. There are good dealers I am sure. I hope the good guys make it and these idiots get what is deserved.

John Heckman

Livin Good

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/09 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are any of the problems legit?

timjcarter9

Fort Macleod, Alberta Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/09 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of dozen paragraph breaks would have made it readable.

2003 Avalanche - 4.10 gears
2010 Puma 18DB
Sold - 1973 FMC 2900R

J.B.R.

NE PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/09 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it was possible, have someone else go into the dealer and act as you did but instead of a workhorse trade he says he has a ford trade. And see if the dealer brings out different books and has the same story.

02 Wilderness 25Z 1998 Tioga 31Sl
w/ puttman WD
02quad cab 4x4 Dakota (going soon)
73 450sl (for sale)
78 Modied vette

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/09 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would be interesting to go there looking for a MH on a WH chassis to see what they would say then.

1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

rjdjbd

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/09 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bsinmich wrote:

It would be interesting to go there looking for a MH on a WH chassis to see what they would say then.

Hard to say but I do know that in walking their inventory, for whatever the reason, I didn't find any 2000-2007 Workhorse chassis motorhomes. They did have a lot of used Ford's for the gasoline engine buyer and of course diesel pushers.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Dealers that won't take Workhorse trade-ins?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.