|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Host Everest Cooktop Vent Design

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
goldwinghauler

Monterey, TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/09 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay without having the camper it is difficult to configure a solution for the ill-fated no cooktop vent on the Host Everest.

However since this is a camper that I am considering I have been giving it some serious thought and have come up with a possible solution.

According to Mooney, there is approx. a 4-5 inch space behind the microwave. I will make some assumptions here that the space is adjacent to the exterior wall. Now, you will have to remove your microwave after determining the exact setback.

Next purchase a fan such as this;

Squirrel Cage Blower
28 cfm - 12 vdc (FAN) BG0903-B045 $15 each

It's dimensions are (3.82" x 3.68" x 1.30").

Next you will have to construct a mount for the fan out of aluminum or some other suitable material and cut a hole for the intake vent. You should provide some type of metal filter to protect the fan. Then provide a power source; this one is 12v. Finally construct a duct between the squirrel cage and the exterior vent (see link).

RV Range Hood Vent

Seems more difficult than it really is. Remember you Host Everest owners, it only take one of you to do the "leg" work and construct the first one. If I had my camper already I would do this. I will also pass this along to Dave Houge at Host for consideration.

Good Luck

2017 Dodge Ram 3500HD Cummins Diesel CC LB 4WD Dually w/ Supersprings SSA-24 and Hellwig Big Wig Sway Bar
2018 Eagle Cap 1165

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/09 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll tell ya. I have a range hood over the stove. I've probably used it a handful of times during the preparation of some 500+ meals in the camper. I've found that when I need to move smoke, food smells, and condensation from the camper, a Fantastic Fan is the ticket and it's quieter too. JMHO

RVn Full-time

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/09 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What?? No range hood??? Does anyone have interior pics?? Goldwing, you defiantly would have to know where to cut first, obviously because of wall studs, wiring etc., but I have a couple of related things that I have learned about hood vents. Not to get off track of your post but you might like what I can expand your mind with. First, the exterior vent can be a pain in the butt to open and close(as you may already know if you have one) with those little tabs that keep it closed. What a pain when it's already ten feet in the air! If you don't keep it closed, as some may know, it will flap in the wind and eventually break the tabs that hold it in (done that). One solution is that the company that makes these have an auto opening/closing one that operates when you turn the fan on and off. OK so you don't want to spend the money, so you do what I did, you make it manually operated from inside the TC. Lucky for me, my AF1150 is already vented to the outside. MY AF1140 was not, hated it! Anyway, secondly, a lot of people do not know that if you do have a range hood, there is a secondary interior flap built into the hood itself. You have to know how to open it, or in my case, I removed it altogether. I have posted on this before and have some good pics if you want to see...just let me know...Kev

goldwinghauler

Monterey, TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/09 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not saying that this is the best or final solution to the problem. Just thought I would throw a line in the water and see if I would get a bite; maybe even a nibble.

Yes personally I would double check with the factory regarding wall/stud placement. But I would also try to ascertain why they never installed one in the first place. There is a large kitchen window right next to the cooktop and maybe another option would be to use a window exhaust fan; of course only when cooking indoors with odors or smoke that requires venting to the outside.

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/09 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I totally agree Goldwing....it is weird, Why is it not there? My 1140 had an interior recirculating hood, it sucked , no pun intended...lol, but the smoke detector would go off making bacon in the morning...who likes to hear that in the morning anyway...LOL??? Are you thinking of having this built or finding one already on the ground?. I still will throw some vent hood pics at you.

* This post was edited 03/02/09 10:36pm by KKELLER14K *

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/09 10:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is that hiden tab that holds the vent hood flap closed that most don't even know it's there.
[image]
the placard that tells you about it.
[image]
The flap with the tab engaged, remember this is inside the TC!
[image]
This is the manual rod to open and close the outer flap. It is a wire hanger...tough stuff!
[image]
This is the hole drilled at the upper part of the outer flap.
[image]
Attaching the rod to the flap.
[image]
The rod going through the hood, you can see the hood light(blurry).
[image]
This is the rod on the outside if the hood, just push to open it and pull it to close, remember this is operates the flap on the outside of the TC! No more tabs, fill and seal the little holes.

[image]
And this is how I keep it closed...LOL!
[image]

goldwinghauler

Monterey, TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/09 05:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting

On the Host there is a very large window that occupies the space where the vent hood would be. I assume that this is out of design more than anything else. Asthetics more than functionality seems to be the guiding light here.

Here is a photo of a Host Everest galley.

[image]

goldwinghauler

Monterey, TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/09 05:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is another view of the underside of the Host galley. It seems to be a design in all of their models. I went to their site and checked out every one. It's like I said the large galley window is in the way of the vent if it were to be installed.

[image]

Now here is what I suggested as an alternative to the vent. If you only require it when cooking, which is about what; 15% of camping time, then it would work. It will fit windows 23'' to 33 3/8'' Wide and 15''.

[image]

Maybe some Host owners will reply with what they have done to remedy the situation or about these various ideas for a possible cure.

Gary3

Windsor, ON

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/09 05:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we could have the option there would be no vent hood in any of our camper the fantastic fan removes all steam and oders.

Gary  Lance  1191 solar Gen.

goldwinghauler

Monterey, TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/09 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go to one of my earlier posts there was some discussion regarding the whole vent vs lack of vent issue.

Check out the post halfway down the page from pbgsho

His AF1140 vent hood only recirculates the odors so he installed a Northern Breeze fan to remove the odors through it.

I am just not sure it "all" the nastiness would be removed by the fan or would some of it hang around, clinging to the interior for decades on end.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Host Everest Cooktop Vent Design
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS