|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC travels, 2014 TR, Pg 904, 2015 TR pg 964

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 976  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/09 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....those Predator items appear quite expensive (about $5 million each?). However they're pretty cheap insurance when you compare the alternative: loss of life out in the field...

...you must have had to sign a "confidentiality agreement" to, yes [emoticon]

Thoroughly enjoying your travel narrative(s) !

Long live Sleepy [emoticon]

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

2IVSWO

San Diego, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/09 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to hear Jim landed another job. I would die to go and see the Predator production facility. You are one lucky man Sleepy! Keep up with your reports i love them.

2005 2500HD D/A
2006 Lance MAX 881 Loaded, Supersprings, Air Lift air bags, Vision type 81 wheels, Dunlop Sp-431 245/70/19.5 load range "H"

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/09 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The caulking is done... hired some help... made it a lot easier. I am worn out.

I read that the UAV's were less than a million... the number that Silver quoted maybe includes the support personel.

We picked up some new Brochures while at Lance... got the fever.. took a cold shower. I'd have to sell the one we have with all of the neat add-ons... way too much work to add more to a new one... or to remove them from the old camper and reinstall them in the new one.

I can see WalMart from our slide out window.

Going to see the Budster tomorrow.

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

2IVSWO

San Diego, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/09 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So how much did they charge for a re-caulk job Sleepy?? What method did the hired help use to remove the old stuff? Any tricks on re-caulking? WalMart..... free camping at its best!

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/09 02:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2IVSWO wrote:

So how much did they charge for a re-caulk job Sleepy?? What method did the hired help use to remove the old stuff? Any tricks on re-caulking? WalMart..... free camping at its best!

HOW TO: Recaulk your camper!

I hired an individuel that has been in the business for a long time. We both removed old caulk, he inspected and recaulked. We did the work at his house. The timing fit in with our schedule and allowed me to be a part of the process, something that was important to me... I might not ever make it back out here again.

I had done it before on my camper and also helped others when they stop by our house for a visit. I had often done more than needed and now I have a better idea about what is a t risk.

I won't give you the price... he is a friend... I may have given him more than enough... or too little. I will say this we worked very hard for 6 hours... and only did a total removal of about 30% of the seams.

We cleaned all seams with Naptha and towels (paint department Home Depot ot Lowes). We also cleaned the areas that we had removed old caulk from with the naptha before recaulking.

We cleaned oxides (yellowing off the clear around the black windows) with the naptha and then coated the otherwise sound caulkmwith a thin layer of new caulk.

I bought the Geocell 2300 white and clear caulks from Lance for less than $8 per tube. 2 tubes of white and one of the clear were enough... we also used one tube of the Dicor sealant for TPO roofs.

You have to be careful to avoid scratching the filon siding... weakens ans shortens the life considerably.

We used homemade tools... made from the poly sticks used by auto window installers... strong, will hold an edge and not scratch. Go by one of ther shops and ask politely... they'll usually give you a couple... the often have them with advertizements on them from venders they do business with.

Trim them to about 30 degrees, as close as possible on each end... I used a file. Then sharpen the leading edge to a 45 degree chisel edge. If done correctly there will be and angled sharp edge on each end with one cutting to the left, the other cutting to the right.

The tool will both cut and remove old caulk safely... it will quickly become apparent which end to use for which task.

Wear rubber or surgical gloves with the naptha in a well ventilated area... NO SMOKING!

Feel free to PM or phone me if you need.

My friend in Palmdale would teach or help others for a fee... you'd need to contact him... through me at this point I guess.

I might offer a siminar back east some time.... get a group together like quilting bee. I used to teach a couple of college courses... we could give CEU's!

Sleepy

I hope this makes some sense.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/09 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We enjoyed an evening with Budster. It is cool here in Simi Valley... we have been taking the heat for so long we'll have to get out the long blue jeans and light jackets again.

sleepy
794 nights

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/09 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today we went to the Ronald reagan Presidential Libruary with the Budster... very nice.

as a bonus... the Magna Carta was on display.

we are dreaming new adventures...

Sleepy

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 11:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a great time with Gerry... (Budster), we'll be heading west again tomorrow. We'll miss him and the Simi Valley resturants....

I think we'll be staying as close to the coast as we can.. it is a lot cooler here than we've been used to.

Budster

Nampa, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/09 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Had a great visit with Chet & Janet (sleepy). We saw the local sites here in Simi Valley, CA including the Ronald Reagan Library and hit a lot of restaurants too, I need to lose some weight now…

Sleepy is off to Solvang, CA to visit with mooney.

If you ever get a chance to meet up with sleepy, do it. They are a great couple and very enjoyable to be with.

Safe travels my friends, have fun on you adventure!

bedrocker

lompoc ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/09 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sleepy
If you like a steak house A.J. Spurs is great
while your there you'll past it on 246 into
Solvang

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 976  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC travels, 2014 TR, Pg 904, 2015 TR pg 964
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.