|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> EU2000i - Hard to Start

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/09 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our little Honda generator used to always start on the first or second pull. Now it may take 15 or 20 pulls. Doesn't seem to be flooded and I haven't even pulled the plug to look at it. I suspect semi-clogged carb jets.

I guess it is about 5 or 6 years old and probably has less than 200 hrs of run time.

Anyone have similar problems with their EU2000i?

Thanks,
Brad

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Gary3

Windsor, ON

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/09 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The guy next door had a 2000 Honda and never started it all summer when I tried I pulled my guts out before it finally started.I think the longer you let them set the harder they are to start.

Gary  Lance  1191 solar Gen.

jwadd

Fort St James, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/09 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe small engines, even Honda, need to be used regularly. I start my generator and chain saws once a month year around just to make sure they are always ready to go. The lawn mowers, weed whackers, water pumps, and boat motors are started enough in the season of use, that I don't worry about them. Gas stabilizer for them and they always start in the spring.

Clean the carb and change the plugs and you should be good to go.

2017 F350 XLT Premium 4X4
6.2 L Gas
SRW Crew
176” wheelbase 8’ Long Box
184 litre fuel tank

2008 27BHS Hornet

dirtengineer

Southeast Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/09 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put some seafoam through it.

Stim

NE Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/09 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most likely cause is water in the fuel. I would dump ALL the gas into a clear container (2 ltr. bottle w/top cut off) and check it for water. Might also be spark plug.
I am a Honda Engine Dealer and I mainly work on 5.5 to 13hp engines on construction equipment. Quite often I find water in the fuel. I always check them for water. I've had Honda Engines sit for up to 6 months and start on the second pull.

ifishsekiu

Kent Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/09 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine has had a problem from the start(or lack of). If it sits for more then a few weeks I have to take off the cover that sits over the carb and drain the bowl of the carb. Mine has a stainless screw with a 4 inch clear tube that drain the bowl.Turn the screw counter clockwise and the fuel drains.It will be perhaps a couple of teaspoons. After this it will start on the first or second pull. I have tried various fuel stabilizers and never run ethanol blended gas (that I know of). Good luck

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/09 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same problem with mine, I can put stabil in it and it doesn't help. I'm just about ready to put a 357 into it. I've had it in for service several times and they do a little adjusting and put a new plug in and it starts. go figure.

INSAYN

NW Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/09 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What grade of fuel are you running in it? Regular, Plus, Premium?

I run straight Regular in mine, and drain the carb bowl if I don't plan to use it within a week. I keep the fuel cap turn "OFF" while not in use, and use Sta-bil for anything longer than 2 months. My Honda is going on 5 years old, has the factory plug in still. Always starts easy.

You know, I wonder if breaking it in has anything to do with it. I have a tendency to take break in seriously on my engines and it seems to be paying off. This goes for ATV's, Lawn Mowers, vehicles and even my Honda EU2000.

How?

I always start and run a new engine for a minute or two until it just starts to get warm, shut down and cool completely. Repeat a few more times allowing further levels of heat to acquire each time. Then allow it to completely warm up to operating temp with no load on it for 10-20 minutes. Then allow to cool completely. Change the oil.
After this, I regulate the throttle position (or load for the EU2000)) for a tank or two, and never rev further than 3/4 throttle during this time. (EU2000, stayed on EcoMode). After this break in is done, run it like you stole it!

My results?

1995 Yamaha Warrior 350cc purchased new, still all stock, still running factory spark plug, still starts easy, and has full power.

1997 Polaris 500cc purchased new, still all stock, still running factory spark plug, still starts easy and runs great.

1997 Toyota Tacoma purchased new, now has 147,000 miles, still has factory spark plugs and clutch, runs great, starts easy, passes emissions, and maintains factory rated MPG (avg).

2003 Toro Lawnmower purchased new, mows once a week for ~30 minutes roughly 3-3.5 months a year. Still has factory spark plug, and still starts easy.

2004 Honda EU2000 Genny, ~200 hours, factory spark plug, and easily starts every time.

1997 F350 CrewCab PSD 4x4, auto.
2005 SnowRiver 8'10", Loaded + EU2000i.
2005 8.5'x16' Interstate West Cargo trailer, Line-X'ed
2005 16' Fish-Rite Rogue welded aluminum boat, 2005 40HP Yamaha 2-stroke O/B.

petekerwien

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/09 10:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget the air cleaner they can get clogged. I run premium. Some loggers I know are having their chainsaws hard starting because of the additives in regular gas, so they are using a higher graqde of fuel

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/09 10:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've run small gas engines, mostly Honda, in my paint sprayers for over 30 years. When they start acting up, and they all do, I take them to a lawn mower shop for a going over. One sprayer with a Honda motor is about 15 years old now and going strong, with a little piston slap now but still going strong, and has been to a shop twice in all those years.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> EU2000i - Hard to Start
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.