RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Small Honda Generator for Air Condtioner?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Small Honda Generator for Air Condtioner?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
CKNSLS

Northern Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/09 11:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All,

I don't know what size air conditioner I have, but I have a Forest River 21' Shamrock 21 RS. (It's the same as the Roos).

In regards to the standard roof air conditioner,

I was wondering if a small Honda Generator would power it?

What cord adapters would I need?

Any answers would be appreciated!

Island-Slacker

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/09 12:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what do you mean small?

a 2kw gen as long as it can continiously put out 2000 watts plus allow for peak draws upon comp start up 25-30 amps for 2-3 secs you might be ok

A colman 12,000 -13,000 btu ac will pull 12-13 amps while running plus have an inrush of 25 or so amps for 2 secs approx

so the answer is possibly - depends allot on the generator

CKNSLS

Northern Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/09 12:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Island-Slacker wrote:

what do you mean small?

a 2kw gen as long as it can continiously put out 2000 watts plus allow for peak draws upon comp start up 25-30 amps for 2-3 secs you might be ok

A colman 12,000 -13,000 btu ac will pull 12-13 amps while running plus have an inrush of 25 or so amps for 2 secs approx

so the answer is possibly - depends allot on the generator

This is the one I am looking at, It's got to be small. I have a smaller tow vehicle w/limited cargo capacity--

A SMALL HONDA

* 2000 watts (16.7 A) of Honda Inverter 120V AC Power
* Super quiet - 53 to 59 dB(A)
* Lightweight (less than 47 lbs.)
* Eco-Throttle - runs up to 15 hr on 1 gal. of fuel
* Advanced inverter technology provides reliable power to computers and other sensitive equipment
* 12v - 8.0A DC output
* Parallel with another EU2000i for additional power
* Protected by Oil Alert®
* Power for microwave, refrigerators, hair dryer, and small AC units
* USDA-qualifed spark arrestor/muffler
* 3 year residential and commercial warranty

Click link for more information
EU2000i Specifications
Engine Honda GX100
Displacement 98.5cc
AC Output 120V 2000W max. (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A)
Receptacles 20A 125V Duplex
DC Output 12V, 96W (8A)
Starting System Recoil
Fuel Tank Capacity 0.95
Run Time per Tankful 4hrs. @ rated load, 15 hrs. @ 1/4 load
Dimensions (L x W x H) 20.1" x 11.4" x 16.7"
Noise Level 59 dB @ rated load 53dB @ 1/4 load
Dry Weight 46.3 lbs.
Residential Warranty 3 Years
Commercial Warranty 3 Years

Island-Slacker

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/09 12:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amps X volts = watts

look at the draw of your a/c - the lable should have the current draw rating

so rent one for a day or 4hrs or the min they allow hrs plug it into your trailer plug you will need 30-15 adaptor for 120V - make sure all lights are off etc and turn on the a/c - just the fan 1st then the cooling if your battery charger isn't drawing allot or not at all it should start

not so easy to wire directly - I believe its wired via either a multi plug and pigtails to your trailer 120V wiring -if your not sure of your electrical skills I recomend an electrican to do it for you perhaps he can make up a connector for you that is nice and safe and isolates the ac wiring from the trailer when pluged into the generator you don't want to back feed into the trailer wiring thats for sure

Island-Slacker

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/09 12:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

looking at the gens specs you might want to consider the next model up

Crazy Ray

Monroe,La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/09 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would go with the YAMAHA 2400. I know my 2400 will RUN MY 13.5btu AC with NO problems. JMO & 2 cents.

RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

OleMissTailgater

Corinth, MS

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/09 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chilipyro wrote:

The small Honda is on the edge, as far as its ability to handle a standard AC. I have the Honda 2000, and was not able to get the AC on my 2008 Jayco HTT to start at all. I added a start capacitor to the AC (an easy mod) and it worked most of the time, but not 100%. Monitoring the power, it spiked at about 2200 watts for 2 seconds (with the start capacitor installed), and then dropped to about 1200 watts after the AC was running. With that kind of load, the Honda 2000 is no longer a 'quiet' generator. Maybe quieter than some, but quite loud just the same IMO.

Judging by the many posts on the subject, the Yamaha 2400 is more reliable, in this class of 'quiet' generators, for AC use (13Kbtu AC). Unfortunately, it is not nearly as small and portable as the Honda 2000.

Where do you find these start capacitors?

hwybnb

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/09 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Honda 2000 and do not consider it adequate to run an air conditioner. At best it is marginal.

As to the start capacitor, all RV air conditioners have them built in but there are add-on "soft start" kits that might help. I don't have a source.

Adam-12

6 LAND

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/09 04:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Island-Slacker wrote:

what do you mean small?

The Hondas and Yamahas are limited with respect of wattage output. For instance, the Honda EU2000i is rated at 2000 watts for only 30 minutes!!! For "continuous" run time, it's rated at 1600 watts.

To the original poster, you need to help us help you better. Find out what size a/c you have and post it here. How many BTU's is it and/or how many amps does it draw? Generally speaking, most here run either a 13.5K BTU or 15K BTU a/c. Google up the make and model if you don't have the instruction manual any longer. That way you can check the specifications for the model you have and then post the info here.

Many folk here could then easily tell you a simple yes or no if the particular generator you want will power your particular a/c.

Silverado 2500HD Duramax DIESEL/4x4/CC/Z71">
31' Travel Trailer
2 Honda EU2000i's (parallel)
ICOM 7000
Random wire, dipoles, verticals
Hunting/Fishing gear
Welding/Fabricator
Life endowment member NRA
"> ">

chilipyro

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/09 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The small Honda is on the edge, as far as its ability to handle a standard AC. I have the Honda 2000, and was not able to get the AC on my 2008 Jayco HTT to start at all. I added a start capacitor to the AC (an easy mod) and it worked most of the time, but not 100%. Monitoring the power, it spiked at about 2200 watts for 2 seconds (with the start capacitor installed), and then dropped to about 1200 watts after the AC was running. With that kind of load, the Honda 2000 is no longer a 'quiet' generator. Maybe quieter than some, but quite loud just the same IMO.

Judging by the many posts on the subject, the Yamaha 2400 is more reliable, in this class of 'quiet' generators, for AC use (13Kbtu AC). Unfortunately, it is not nearly as small and portable as the Honda 2000.

2009 Jayco G2 32BHDS, 2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crew Max w/tow package, Michelin LTX/AT2 275/65 R18, Load range E., Rancho 9000XL shocks, Air Lifts, Hensley Arrow hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Small Honda Generator for Air Condtioner?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS