RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Moab trip(s): what goes out, must come back (via tow) (BIG)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Moab trip(s): what goes out, must come back (via tow) (BIG)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/09 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the reasons I was asking all the questions, besides getting some education, is that the guy across the street has a DM and I have been nagging him to change his filter and not have someone do it for him. Most problems I hear of from people who are on the road seem to lead back to fuel and fuel filters. Diesels need to flow a lot of fuel and a clogged filter mucks up the show. Just me but I think everyone who drives a diesel should carry a extra and if possiable be able to change it themself.

The guy across the street wants me to show him and your answers will help. I think I'll forget cracking a line to bleed, he would have a heart attack. You don't have to fill the filter, you can just keep bumping the key till it purges the air, on a Cummins at least.

'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/09 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing the photos and story. Great attitude in spite of it all. Good job [emoticon]

2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/09 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear you are OK... hadn't heard from you in a while... was wonderin' what's up.

Your rig would have looked (ahem) "cute" next to Big Daddy!

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/09 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raften wrote:

One of the reasons I was asking all the questions, besides getting some education, is that the guy across the street has a DM and I have been nagging him to change his filter and not have someone do it for him. Most problems I hear of from people who are on the road seem to lead back to fuel and fuel filters. Diesels need to flow a lot of fuel and a clogged filter mucks up the show. Just me but I think everyone who drives a diesel should carry a extra and if possiable be able to change it themself.

The guy across the street wants me to show him and your answers will help. I think I'll forget cracking a line to bleed, he would have a heart attack. You don't have to fill the filter, you can just keep bumping the key till it purges the air, on a Cummins at least.

I was going to snag a couple of pictures when I got home but stopped for dinner and it's dark out....I'll get some this weekend and update the thread. I defintiely plan on adding a spare filter to my parts list...and I was always thinking about setting up a pre-filter like I have read some others doing. It would also be nice to have two filters setup to where if one was clogged you could flip the switch and re-route through the other filter too. Perhaps doing both (a pre-filter and after that a split) would be cool.

In any case, on mine, it was certainly easy to make the switch - very easy access on the Kodiak - you just have to make sure and bleed the air out right.

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/09 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d3500ram wrote:

Glad to hear you are OK... hadn't heard from you in a while... was wonderin' what's up.

Your rig would have looked (ahem) "cute" next to Big Daddy!

Touche' Frank, touche'. You got me back! [emoticon] It's all relative I guess. I've been really busy at work, and hadn't had much time to post and we've been out three straight weekends...but not skiing. My physical therapist told me I shouldn't ski anymore this winter to not keep inflaming my knee. So I've been taking it easy and, you know, dirt biking instead (how I damaged it both times! [emoticon] )

Keep in touch, I'm sure there is an Indy 500 coming up - perhaps a gumbo to go with.

capterik

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/09 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never leave a man behind!....and you didn't, left a lump in my throat watching you get pulled out. Not sure that you would get the air out through that bottom drain, that is more likely to check for water. Having large Marine diesels that I have to take care of, we do bleed by cracking the fuel line going to an injector, or we have a bleed off valve that we put a quick connect to, which is what I do, becouse the pressure we are putting through our lines to our injectors is real high and resealing can muck it up and cause leaks, I would ask the dealer that helped you out how they do it. What do you attribute it too, bad fuel, or old fuel with growth? I had mine done when I did all fluids after purchasing mine. Cool pictures and that is one sweet looking rig!

2003 Kodiak 5500
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4SB
KVH inmotion Satellite
Stable Lift

kennyzzz

buffalo new york

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/09 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for for the great pictures,the good thing is at least he had an honest dealership diagnose the problem and not rip you off.
its pictures like that that motivated me to start saving my pennies for my own rig, so today I ordered torklifts for my truck. and that is the beginning of my truck camper odyssey.I know it's just the halfton but I know I'll be able to find a camper that fits. speaking of honesty,camping world is insane,stopped by to see about having happy jacks installed,this is their quoted prices,parts 544,installation of heppyjacks $297, wiring $178,lance priority electrical plug,49.95 needless to say thanks a lot cash and just to set my truck off for a camper.I did not like the idea of bumper buttons.so searched on the Internet,found eBay Co. torklifts delivered to my door,front and back
$370 don't mean hijack your thread I'm just caught up in the excitement of starting the process.and it's all the beautiful pictures of the West i see that wants me to get up a small truck camper. I have a travel trailer but I cannot see dragging it all the way out West.
PS I've enjoyed reading all your trip reports,

Chevy 2008 1500 X-cab 5.3 373 posi 4x4 z-71
2003 jayco quest 190 4059 lbs.
2004 Northern light 8.5

2IVSWO

San Diego, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/09 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should visit www.thedieselplace.com. Chevy Duramax only site that is very informative. People have written up a whole range of "How To's" when it comes to maintenance and common problems with the Duramax. I keep a binder with us when we go camping that has directions on how to fix the common problems like the Injector harness, fuel filter replacement and so on. Check it out very informative. I hate when i make a simple mistake that costs me money. Glad you made it out of there safe and no damage.

2005 2500HD D/A
2006 Lance MAX 881 Loaded, Supersprings, Air Lift air bags, Vision type 81 wheels, Dunlop Sp-431 245/70/19.5 load range "H"

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/09 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey btg, I always knew you were my kind of guy. Not only do you ride bikes, oh yeah, but manage to turn a bad situation into an adventure worth reading about. And if I ever need to camp with a guy that brings lots of firewood, I'll give you a buzz!

Great post!

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/09 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The truck goes to Tierra del Fuego and back. Not a problem.

You go next door almost, and this happens. [emoticon]

Oh well, seems like things turned out fine after all, and you had a grand adventure in the process.

I changed my Duramax filter every 7500 miles when I owned my 2003. Yep, know manual says 15,000, but with all the talk here and other sites at the time concerning fuel/injector issues, I decided to err on the side of less problems.

Great photos, and an interesting posting.

Thanks!

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Moab trip(s): what goes out, must come back (via tow) (BIG)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.