RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What do Yosemite and Death Valley have in common? Part I

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What do Yosemite and Death Valley have in common? Part I

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/09 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Spring TC adventure. Jeanie and jefe on the road again, combining two of our favorite locales. We left on a Tuesday, loaded for extended boondocking. First stop was a couple nights in Yosemite National Park. It had snowed a few days prior, so we had some remnants laying around.
[image]

A few of the 'tourist' views of early spring at the Park.

[image]
Lower Yosemite Falls with a good flow.
[image]
Upper and lower Yosemite Falls.
[image]
A different view of Half Dome, the signature image of the Park.
[image]

We hit the road again going south on U.S. Hwy. 99 in the central Valley to Bakersfield, then headed east up the Kern River Canyon. California Golden Poppies were out in force along the way.
[image]

It was on up past Lake Isabella to our next campsite at a free BLM camp on Walker Pass, El. 5200 ft. We stayed here because we knew it would be cooler than down at lower elevation.
[image]
Next, down to the Owens Valley thru Ridgecrest, Trona, to
the Panamint Valley. Here are the world famous Trona Pinacles (?)
[image]
The inoculous looking plant below is actually very rare. It's a Panamint Daisy. It only grows here. We saw only two plants this season, on the hunt.
[image]

[image]

We camped at the 5000 foot Wildrose campground and drove on up the dirt road toward Telescope Peak (11,000 ft.) to the snow gate. These interesting charcoal kilns, used during the mining era were lined up along the road. We were the only TC in camp, mostly young people in tents. The weather was mild. The rough gravel road into Wildrose had a lot of warning signs including 24' limit on rigs, no trailers, no RV's and the strangest sign I've seen yet. It was the clear outline of a Truck Camper with a red circle with a cross through it. I'm sorry I don't have a pic. It would be the perfect signature picture. Of corse we kept going anyway, and I don't see what the fuss was. Yes it was narrow, gravel, winding, and steep, but no truck campers? Nah. We're driving a pickup truck. 8<)
[image]
This is a view from Augerberry Point, the only place you can actually see the lowest point (Badwater is down there somewhere) and Highest point (Mt. Whitney) in the lower 48, from the same point.
[image]
The road to Skidoo. One of the only mines to actually turn a profit.
[image]
From here you can see some of the digin's. The next pic show us on that road you see in the pic.
[image]

[image]

[image]
The next set of pics are our destination for the night, Hole-in-the-wall canyon.
[image]

[image]

[image]
Some of the flowers that were out in the canyon:
[image]

[image]
I'll wind this part with the signage for our next leg: Down into Greenwater Valley.
Well, it is a valley at least. What a lonely place. Yes, 'pavement ends' again.
[image]

[image]
regards, as always, jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

hotrod4x5

Southern Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/09 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great thread and photos!

How is it off roading with a TC? Do you have to go really slow? I would worry about the mount to the truck, not to mention all the stuff inside.

Rodney Former Owner of: 2005 Laredo 29GS 2002 F250 V-10 Yamaha EF3000iSEB (and NOT a GS Member)

Mooney

Santa Barbara, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/09 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing, looked like a great trip.

'08 Ford F550, Lariat, Link Air Suspension, Roll-A-Long Conversion, Twin Turbo 6.4, TorkLifts, SuperHitch, "Monster Duty Truckasaurus"
'09 Host Everest, Dual Pane, AM Solar, Link 1000,Prosine2.0,Tank Htrs,Honda EV4010,HD Motosat,Wave 6.

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/09 11:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

H.R.4x5,
It is what it is. Mine is one of the smallest, lightest, least tall, narrowest campers you can get. I keep any heavy stuff inside, down low to reduce the center of gravity. Much of the time off-road, I'm rolling on half flat tires(by design not by default) I go slower than I do in my Jeep, all dictated by the road surface. But if you saw me moving, I'm not creeping but I'm not abusing either. I'm an off-roader thru and thru, so using the TC is just an extension of that 'jeep' technique. AFA the mounts. I worry about those too. When it is real hairy, I actually loosen the tie-downs to allow for more travel of the box on the bed, just to reduce stress on the TC frame. This can be a leap of faith.
all-in-all, it's all by feel. So far, so good.
A pop up camper would be a better choice for the more hard-core off-road stuff. However, seeing what the inside of my brother's pop-up camper looked like the morning after a sandstorm, I'll pass. Read the next section to get the sand storm part.
I gots what I gots, and I make do.
There are places I cannot and will not go.
Us off-road TC folks just push that limit a little.
regards, as always, jefe

* This post was edited 04/03/09 11:08pm by jefe 4x4 *

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/09 02:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jefe 4x4 Liked your pictures and dialog of your part 1 trip. Haven't been to Yosemite yet and a few of DV photos are really good,I myself don't recall seeing a no TC sign going up to Telescope Peck when we were up there in 2006.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/09 04:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report, and super pix!

Parts I and II are on their way to trip Reports.

Many thanks for this comprehensive spring piece!

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/09 04:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pix and report, thanks !

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/09 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, Jefe. Your photos are an inspiration. I've been on about half of those roads, and it is time to get out there and do the other half.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

ORbiker

Springfield, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/09 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice report and Pics.
It looks like most of the road you were on is gravel, with some washboarded sloops. That shouldn't be too bad. I'll get off the road a little here in Oregon. What I worry about the most, is a breakdown or getting badly stuck. Many of the Oregon logging roads are not maintained any more, but still travelable. Wash out areas and low or narrow areas are everywhere, with no signage or warning.

What did you do to widen you rear wheel stance?

Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/09 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting jefe.

The last time I was in DV I was still a kid. Looking forward to getting back there one day soon. We camped in Yosemite every summer...My brother and I thought those mountains belonged to us. [emoticon]

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What do Yosemite and Death Valley have in common? Part I
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.