RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What do Yosemite and Death Valley have in common? Part II

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What do Yosemite and Death Valley have in common? Part II

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/09 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're driving down the Greenwater Valley road looking for wildflowers, when, BINGO, we see a great orange/yellow sea off to the right about 4 miles. We take the next dirt track toward that sea when the track doesn't go there. It goes to a canyon, one to the north. It was one of those: "you can't get there from here" situations. We kept going anyway and voila!, another canyon opens up to another orange/yellow beauty.

[image]

[image]

[image]

We camped on a high spot next to the road. In the afternoon Jeanie noticed it getting darker and what looked like fog enveloping the area. Sandstorm! It was a classic. Just like in the Sahara. The wind blew all night rocking the white box to within an inch of it's life. Jeanie kept asking if the TC would actually blow over on it's side. Every so often we'd get a wind bang, wake up with wide eyes, to fall back asleep until the next one. The next morning was clear and almost windless.
We moved on exploring other mines in the area since we were there. I don't expect to ever get back there so it was kind of a 'bucket list' place.
Typical road near the mines.
[image]
Jeanie thinks these are Mexican Poppies:
[image]

[image]
The view from Dante's View. It's 6000 feet down to Badwater (at the lower white part) and includes the view of Telescope Peak.
[image]
We spent the rest of the day driving north thru Death Valley, doing a convenient free dump at Furnace Creek and north around the horn at Ubehebe Crater and the road to
The Race Track. This is truly one of the wierdest natural phenomenae I've ever seen.
Here how it works....they think. It rains (seldom) on the dry lake bed and then freezes, lifting the rocks off the surface enough for the wind (often) to push them along the simi-goo. (BCBG/BCBG/BCBG-the Theme music from Twilight Zone in your ear)
[image]

[image]

[image]
Traffic jam. I wonder if all these were moving at once. No one has ever seen them move.
[image]
Jeanie watching a 'rock family', previously on the move.
[image]

Even some 'too large and heavy to be moved by the wind' rocks leave their trail:
[image]
Wind was blowing a lot of different directions on this one:
[image]
Needing a place to camp for the night, we ground on ahead to the Lipincot Lead mine road. Whew. Steep and narrow, but we found a spot about the size of the truck to camp for the night. I did chock the tires, in low;/low, and applied the e-brake in this position.
I'd been up the road last year during a jeep trip with the buds, so I knew what to expect. We didn't see anyone, coming, going or staying.

[image]

[image]

[image]
We came back up the Lipincot road and read the sign again. I like the "No tow service" part. Note to BTG: don't go here. 8<)
[image]

We left via Hidden Valley, another very remote place, up and down over the Hunter Mountain road, rising up to near 7000 ft. and back down south to Hwy 190 and west to the Owens Valley, which looked somehow civilized compared to where we had been. Another couple days camping north along Hwy 395 in the eastern High Sierra and we were home. The hottest day was in the mid 80's F. Mostly in the 70's daytime high, mostly due to us being at higher elevations in the Park.
In the ten days we were on the road, Jeanie and I played at least one hundred games of Backgammon to the light of a GE, battery operated lantern at the table. We spent a total of $20 for lodging (two nights at Yosemite). Used the Geezer Card a lot (aka: Golden Age Passport). We had many memorable campfires, ...er..I mean bar-bee-ques. (don't tell anyone, campfires are prohibito in D.V.). The washing machine tub got a real workout. We were always so far from civilization It just didn't matter. I always buried the fuego excreta (aka ash) leaving no trace. We took the 2K Gen. but never had to use it, as we moved every day letting the 125 amp truck alternator charge all the batts. Never used any of the recovery equipment. Aired down when off road( tried 25 lbs this time, pretty good compromise), especially on the pesky 'washboard' roads. The tire sidewalls took it in the shorts instead of your shorts taking it in the shorts. Jeanie is a great gourmet cook, even off-road, so we ate like Royalty. Her specialty is making something out of nothing.
regards, as always, jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

spikes227

long island new york

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/09 11:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great Pictures! Thanks for posting. I'm stuck at work...

RenoAl

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/09 11:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jefe,
Way cool trip. The Racetrack is spooky. Glad you enjoyed your trip and found some wildflowers. I was up your way last week. Washington to Malakoff via Relief Hill Road. Not nearly as much fun as Lipincot Rd.
RenoAl

2005 Dodge 3500 DRW:Firestone air bags w/ in dual cab control, Rancho 9000, Helwig sway bar, 55 gal fuel tank, cold air box
2005 Lance 1191: generator, TV, A/C, solar
Bayliner 19.5 Capri & 12 ft. Gregor
1965 TBird
Rosie the dog

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/09 12:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both parts, good photos, well done!

Those super singles you put on a while back on the rear seem to be doing fine for you.

I have just got to go to that area some day.

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/09 01:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wild flower pictures reminded me it is time to go to see Carrizo Plain. It won't be a great year but we did have some late rain that should have helped. My second favorite place to camp there is next to the grave of a woman who died in the late 1800's. The first place is a high ridge where the birds ride the wave of updraft right outside the dinette window.

'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/09 02:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jefe 4x4 another great report along with wonderful photos. I've had to add to my list of DV things to see when go back there later this year. Here link to Desert USA this site has posting of wildflower reports and description of many flowers in the desert areas. Can't wait to go back myself.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Henry Wang

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/09 02:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

awww. damn it, now I have to go get a TC just to do that trip. Excellent trip report, thanks.

RichandLiz

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/09 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some day...some day.....Looks like you really got away from it all! Thanks for sharing!

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/09 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another Great One!!! Thanks. I really have to get down there. Why was this your last trip?

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

trails2004

Outside

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/09 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great Trip-- the Playa rocks!! pun intended [emoticon]

Here is a You tube video of the area. Very interesting.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What do Yosemite and Death Valley have in common? Part II
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.