|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Flat tire predicament

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
famousperson

Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/09 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I got the camper on today with a minimum of fuss. That's the good news. The bad is that it wasn't until I had it on and tied down that I noticed the rear tire looked low.

Maybe it's flat but looks only low because the inside tire (of my dually) is taking the weight. Because of the hubcap I can't get my tire guage in to see what the situation is, and d*mned if I can figure out how to get the cap off.

My questions are: 1) is it possible to change a tire with my 3600+ lb camper on the truck either in the field (I have both Good Sam and AAA "Plus RV")? or, if not, would it be OK to drive (very slowly) 20 miles to the tire place and could they change it with the camper on?

Obviously I am trying to avoid taking it off. If I have to I have to but I'd rather not.

Your suggestions are gratefully solicited.

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie, QC, CTD, auto, 4X4, LWB, DRW, Jake brake.
2005 Lance 1121
2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (toad)
+
2007 BMW R1200R (motorcycle)
Sierra Designs ASP 2 tent
Mountain Hardware sleeping bag
Thermorest 1 1/2" sleeping mat.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/09 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well don;t drive it . it;ll tear up the tire , how about jacking it up ? put the jack on the axle so you won;t have to jack it up so hi, portable air tank? ain;t camping fun , laugh it off and start all over,

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/09 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've faced that problem.
First, I had to remove the camper to access the spare on the Ford.
Second, those dually tires can require quite a beating to loosen them up for removal.

Altho I'm getting a little age on me, I'll change the front tire. If a rear one goes, I'll go back, run the antenna up, turn on the tv, make a sandwich, and call the man. That's why I have road side assistance. [emoticon]

On Edit...

Raise the camper and pull forward a couple of feet. You could probably jack the camper high enough to clear the rails while the truck is on the tire jack. At least you wouldn't have all that weight on the jack and wouldn't have to realign the camper.

* This post was edited 04/19/09 01:16pm by Eycom *

RVn Full-time

Whiteline

San Diego CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/09 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You didn't mention size of tire and if "E" rated. Max PSI?
If the tires are NOT rubbing you should be OK at speed of less the 45mph. Good Luck

2009 Jamboree Sport 2006 Honda CRV

want-a-be

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/09 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would either get the truck manual out and see how to get the hub cap off or get on the internet and go to the truck manufacture site and see if it tells how to get the cap off. I am guessing that if you can't check the pressure of the tire that you can't put air in it either. Are call Good Sam or AAA.
Good Luck
Sonny

Stouttrout

SE Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/09 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did it on buddies. He made the 1200 miles trip and blew out 15 miles from my house. I found that a good bottle Jack is a must when hauling anything whether it be on your truck or behind it.

magic43

Brookhaven, Ms.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/09 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now is the time for you to decide what you would do if you were 50-100 miles from service and have a flat. Good Sam/AAA can't help you if you are in the boonies and have no cell service.

Remember, you can always let the corner jacks down and raise the TC up off of the truck. Your truck jack should then be able to raise the tires off of the ground for changing. As previously stated, the hubcap should not be an issue....It comes off.

magic43

bldrbuck

one or the other

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/09 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are paying for Good Sam snf AAA service call them and let them do their job.

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/09 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your hub caps should come right off. The tire iron has a special lip on it just for that. If you don't know how it will be in your manual. Go buy a bottle jack. They are very inexpensive. You'll need to carry one on the road anyway. It will lift the track and camper.

Anyway, pull off the hub cap so you can get to the valve and air up your tire. If you don't have a 12 volt compressor go buy one of those too as you'll need it again. If it appears to be a slow leak (can't hear the air escaping) then drive it down to the tire shop.

If not a slow leak you'll have to go ahead and take the tire off. If you don't have a way to take the tire to the shop then you'll have to get the spare which may not be possible with the TC on. I can get mine out using a crescent wrench on the end of the rod. Depends on your combo.

'16 FORD F250 6.2. Air Bags

'16 Arctic Fox 25R. Xantrex 2000 inverter/charger, four Trojan 6 volts, 450 watts solar.

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/09 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad I looked closely at the thread's title. At first glance it looked like "Fiat tire predicament". I was gonna call Tony to come and help ya...

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Flat tire predicament
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS