RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: 4 WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES........ONLY. (PART 2)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 4 WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES........ONLY. (PART 2)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
SUPERBASH

Long Island NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/09 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Took a day trip to Democrat Point (SouthShore Long Island) again today. Beautiful day. Lots of TC's out on the beach.
It was a GOOD day for SOME....

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

And a BAD day for OTHERS.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

I talked with the TC owner. He got stuck last nite at the shoreline. Mother nature had its way with his truck & TC. A few passerby's never stopped to try & give him a hand as the tide was coming in. The truck camper & truck were separated during the nite in the pounding surf. A tragedy to a very nice guy I might add.

* This post was last edited 04/25/09 06:44pm by SUPERBASH *   View edit history

2009 DODGE RAM2500 HEAVYDUTY 4X4 SLT QUADCAB SHORTBED BIGHORN EDITION 5.7 LITER HEMI
2009 STARCRAFT 800HS TRUCKCAMPER

-Pacbrake AirBags
-SuperSprings
-HappiJac TieDown System w/ QuickLoad Turnbuckles
-TorkLift GlowSteps
-Curt FrontMount Hitch

trapperdick

Bridgton,Me.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/09 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The guy driving that tow truck would be looking for a paramedic.........

OLDER AND BOLDER,,,,,N1ATF
Ford F-350 Dually Diesel, Lance 9SC, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 12 ft Hallmark trailer and Skeeter the camping beagle ">.........

Joners

Idaho Falls, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/09 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't look like the tow truck is up to the task.

1996 Chevy K1500 4X4 Short Box, 5.7L Vortec, E rated tires, Lance Model 820 with Cabover Struts, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags, KYB MonoMax Shocks, Torklift Stable Loads, Happijac Truck Camper Tiedowns and Turnbuckles, Honda Eu2000i Inverter/Generator.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/09 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was surprised to see that "C" out there. Was it 4X4, or is the sand just hard enough in some areas? I don't know if I'd want to go out on the beach with my "C"....heck, it almost gets stuck on the side of the house!!

Nice pictures...lots of nice TCs.....and oh so sorry to see that torn up one!!
I got stuck at the shore once (with 4X4) and the tide came in....all you could see, was my CB antenna! A total loss for the Insurance Co. I feel that guys pain. Was he able to get the truck away and save that?

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ">
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.">
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008"> FMCA# F407293
The Pets

SUPERBASH

Long Island NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/09 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah I was surprised to see that C out there as well. He was setup very sweet. Definately was & need 4X4.
-The tow truck recovered the pickup & slide in (separately) from the (now low tide) shore. They were hooked to the bumper of the Lance when it tore off, blocking the access road, when I came upon it. It was then loaded onto a flatbed once it reached the pavement.

The vehicle.
[image]

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/09 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SUPERBASH wrote:

I talked with the TC owner. He got stuck last nite at the shoreline. Mother nature had its way with his truck & TC. A few passerby's never stopped to try & give him a hand as the tide was coming in. The truck camper & truck were separated during the nite in the pounding surf. A tragedy to a very nice guy I might add.

Did he actively signal for help? These days too many assume people are fine with a cell phone to get help. Or if just digging himself out might seem OK. He should have really been panic waving people down for help in addition to the self recovery efforts.

Looks like a great trip otherwise. [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Sand Lizard

Long Island New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/09 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey...thats me in the seventh pic! I'm still here, going to catch a few winks before catching few fish with any luck. That was a sad sight watching that rig get dragged to the scrap heap, you have to stay on your toe's out here and above the high water mark at all times.

Matthew_B

The boonies near Dallas, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/09 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's just such a shame that no one tried to help him out. I keep a 25' recovery strap in my truck all the time. If he was at the surf line I'm sure you'd one several lengths but I'm sure others would have one too.

No matter how deep you are, putting 3 or 4 trucks yanking at once should be able to pop someone out.

phoenix827

torrington, ct

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/09 03:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, you NEVER leave someone behind!! Truck looks like it might be savable @ least. At least the body looks ok.

SUPERBASH

Long Island NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/09 04:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah a lot of the "weekend SUV wheelers" will just drive by without caring. The hardcore heavy duty four wheelers to give a hand might not of been around that night. And I'm not sure how fast the tide came in. When the tow truck got there (I believe the nite before), everything was already surrounded by the water.

-Hey Sand Lizard. I had a feeling I would get some pics of some local TC Forum members! Nice rig. Nice setup. Lets see some LIVE pics if you can. I hadda leave. I was getting a little too dark ( & maybe a little too chubby !) [emoticon]

[image]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 4 WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES........ONLY. (PART 2)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.