|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Maiden Voyage

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
hasenpfeffer

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/09 10:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a fairly new member here, and want to thank everyone for the excellent information you all provide on here. I've never owned a camper, or even used one for that matter. A new addition to our family prompted me to consider a camper for the future. After months of looking at used campers on craigslist, I finally stumbled upon these forums. You all totally helped me figure out what TC was right for me. And, as luck would have it, I found a used 2007 Outfitter Apex 8 for a decent price and well within driving distance.

Being early in the season, it took several weekends before I had a chance to start getting the camper cleaned up, filled up, and checked out more thoroughly. Of course, nothing is ever easy! I found out that the tank-side black tank valve flange was cracked and leaking. I certainly wasn't planning on getting to know my camper as well as I needed to before even taking it out for a spin yet! Well, got the flange replaced and sealed back up and was able to finally take a quick weekend trip up to Grayrocks Reservoir in Wyoming with a friend.

The weather was horrible. Rained and snowed all weekend. Cold and muddy. We had the whole place practically to ourselves, though! Was my first time to Grayrocks. Pretty normal Wyoming landscape. If you fish, probably a pretty nice place during warmer weather. Got to test the camper's heater out really well. Also got very windy the second night. I was really impressed with how stable the pop-up was. The camper kept outside water out all weekend. But, nothing is ever easy! Water was still coming from inside the camper [emoticon] Found that the water pump pressure switch diaphragm was cracked, causing it to leak steadily out the electrical connection. I'm really getting to know a lot about campers very early on, let me tell you!

Thanks for all the info and stories, and hopefully I'll have more to share as well. Here's a couple pictures from the weekend.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

2002 Ford F-250 SuperDuty 4x4 SuperCab 7.3L PSD
2007 Outfitter Apex 8
1981 Jeep CJ7 Toad

Lobocop

Silver Springs, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/09 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing the trip!

Buying used can save you some bucks, but sometimes you find little problems needing to be fixed ... its all good in the end.

Good luck with the camper and hope you get years of fun out of it.

Mine 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins
Wifes 2004 Dodge 2500 Cummins
2007 Lance 805 cab over
2003 Wilderness 27H GL

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/09 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, pretty bleak looking out there. But those little campers are pretty snug aren't they?
Congrats on your new addition, and the camper...

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/09 11:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing like being snug in a nice warm camper while the elements are trying to get you out side. Once you get a couple items fixed, you should be good to go.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

dieseleagle

Cape Coral, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/09 04:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A TC'r goes in all kinds of weather. Its as much about the people we're with as it is the sunshine. Its plain to see that you are an eternal optimist from the fishing pole so hopefully planted by the shoreline.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/09 06:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice mini report!

I like that barren landscape and open range with the snow dusting. The pix are great.

Camper:

It appears (from your description) suspiciously like the Apex was not winterized, and sat outside in sub-zero for the winter with water in the pump/lines/tanks (!) Check every line, pump and tank well.

I wouldn't fret too much about snow in Wyoming in May. We've been in blinding snowstorms in Wyoming right up till the end of June! It's a very snowy place; mitigating the snows in early summer in Wyoming is the fast melt afterward [emoticon]

Have fun out there,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/09 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats!!! Good looking outfit!!!

Outfitter is a great camper and should give you many years of enjoyment. A couple bugs to work out is expected even in a new camper.

Did you catch any fish?

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 100 (so far) watts solar.

hasenpfeffer

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/09 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

It appears (from your description) suspiciously like the Apex was not winterized, and sat outside in sub-zero for the winter with water in the pump/lines/tanks (!) Check every line, pump and tank well.

Yup, something like that happened, 'cause I didn't mention that I also had to replace the toilet water valve, since it was cracked and spraying water. This was clearly bulged from ice. I bought the camper without pressurizing the water system. Live and learn. So far, only the tank valve flange was rather difficult, and nothing has been terribly expensive. It's really like owning a second home. A darn comfy one with a really nice view [emoticon]

hasenpfeffer

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/09 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

~DJ~ wrote:

Congrats!!! Good looking outfit!!!

Outfitter is a great camper and should give you many years of enjoyment. A couple bugs to work out is expected even in a new camper.

Did you catch any fish?

Thanks. My friend was actually the one determined to catch something. He did catch 2 fish in only a few hours. They were only carp, though. The reservoir supposedly has a number of different types, and my friend will likely go again in better weather with his boat, especially after buying an out of state fishing license [emoticon]

SALTYDOG5435S-TEX

Beeville, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/09 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I belive that the first night out is one of the best and most shocking. Best because you remenber it the most and shocking because I realized how comfortable my camper was.

Thanks for sharing
Cliff

2002 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Longbed SRW
2003 Lance 845
USMC 70-74
#1 fishing partner since 1981: My Ladybug

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Maiden Voyage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.