|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Our Break in Trip

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Stouttrout

SE Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/09 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well we took our first good trip this past weekend and I thought I would share some of it with you guys. We left at 0800 Thursday April 30. We went to Marble Falls alomst exactly 300 miles from home. We went up there to support a charity called. Wheelers for the Wounded. We had the pleasure or treating wounded soldiers for a day of offroading fun. WFTW teamed up with Take a soldier Fishing and it turned into a full a weekend. Swine flu scare put a bit of a dampener on it but we had a great turn out from the 4x4 crew. I have done alot of offroading but I have to say that this was the most fun I have ever had. It was a true honor to be there with these men and women.

We made a round about way home and put another 580 miles on it. We got home Monday night 2030. It was great rip and the camper served us well. I do think it will end up on the 32 foot gooseneck though for our next rip on Memorial day.

www.wheelersforthewounded.com

We let them drive our rigs. Some got wheel time and others got seat time. I ask our riders if they wanted to drive and before i could climb out of the drivers seat she was almost on my lap.

[image]

Some of the best we had the pleasure of meeting. It was a true Honor.
[image]

Picked up a new buddy on the way home. It is Mix with one blue eye.
[image]

[image]

Almost Home. Back in the swamp and on flat ground [emoticon]

[image]

[image]

You can see more pics here:
http://chepburn.com/GalleryThumbnails.aspx?gallery=197370

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/09 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Neat pics. Thanx. I know you felt honored. But your attention, devotion of time, and participation in such a worthy event is admirable in and of itself. Salute!

RVn Full-time

Pond Jumper

North Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/09 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We need more folks like you guys. Keep up the good work.

PJ

fuelhauler

Southern Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/09 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a great way to spend a weekend. I salute your whole club. I couldn't tell she had one blue eye. She was squinting in the pic. Oh you mean the pup.

2005 Dodge q/c 4x4 dually six speed pac brake
2014 Arctic Fox 990
2014 16' smokercraft

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/09 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW!!!! That is so COOL!!! [emoticon]

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/09 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your generosity humbles me...it looks like you had a great time and were able to give back some small amount to those who have given so much.
Kudos...

Bill

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/09 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A worthy deed and a great time for all. Good job and DITTOs to Y'all.

Jeff

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/09 05:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to bring this up to the top again...

Thanks for making everyone here aware of this charity and event!

Kudos to you for donating time and effort to it.

Into Trip Reports it goes...

Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

ardis8500

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/09 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StoutTrout, I checked out their website and they're going to be in River Rock in Milledgeville, GA in September. I am the President of the LowCountry Jeep Club down here in Charleston, SC and we are going to make it a point to make it out there to participate. Thanks for posting this and bringing it to everyone's attention.

PS: I'll be out in your neck of the woods on Memorial Day Weekend. I'm going to be flying into Austin, TX and driving to Katemcy Rocks for their Memorial Day event out there. I'm going out there with a friend of mine (his family lives out there).

By the way, very nice rig and set up.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD LT, 2WD, 6.0L
Home-made belly bar up front and Tork-Lifts in the rear
2nd Hand Happijac spring loaded turnbuckles.
1996 Palomino Bronco B-1200 Pop-Up TC
1976 Jeep CJ-7 - usually on trailer behind truck.

Stouttrout

SE Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/09 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes Sir, the Georgia event will be September 26-27, at River Rock Off-Road Park. Matanzas Jeep Club will be sponsoring it. If your club is interested or if even one person would like to attend make sure you contact Clarence at matanzasjeepclub@yahoo.com. Some of the events had such a great turn out they had to close the event to a certain number of rigs.

These events are complete put on by volunteers and donations. Our group was fed Friday lunch and dinner, all of Saturdays meals and Sunday Breakfast and Lucnh. Originally there was to be about 1500-2000 participants. Swine flu scare put a bit dampener on that. All of the committed offroad rigs showed up but about 1/3 of the soldiers actually showed. We were a bit disapointed that more could not make it but fully understand why. If I was in rehab I would not want more to deal with.

October Texas will be lucky enough to host the second event. I think Texas is the only State having another event. I plan to be at that one as well. These event can use al lthe help they can get. If you would like to donate your time in any way, or if you have other ideas of ways you can help, please, contact an event coordinator. Most of the Offroad parks have RV hook up there or in the area. extra hands are needed all the time. Go to the Links below.

http://www.wheelersforthewounded.com/eventsch.htm

http://www.wheelersforthewounded.com/

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Our Break in Trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.