|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> lonerock campground UT trip report

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
work2play

Moorpark, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/09 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

can you get out to these beach spots with a 35 foot Diesel pusher or am I just asking for trouble. Does it get pretty busy and hot in the summer?

lance815

phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/09 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no problem getting a deisel pusher in there. just follow the "roads". there were many large rvs there.

yes, it does get hot in the summer. check page, az for local weather. i imagine it gets busy. this trip was my first visit.

77charger

fullerton ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/09 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2play wrote:

can you get out to these beach spots with a 35 foot Diesel pusher or am I just asking for trouble. Does it get pretty busy and hot in the summer?

The farther down the beach you go the softer it gets.Been going there for 22 years and havent been stuck.but we usually go where the roads are(not real roads but main paths campers use and the sand is more packed)go off these and you will know very fast.

Once you hit the shore its no problem.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/09 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report and photos!

I'll put it into Trip Reports...

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/09 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is so cool! HOT! What size boat can be launched (see my pic below)? Capt PJ

2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/09 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lance815 wrote:

yes, it does get hot in the summer. check page, az for local weather. i imagine it gets busy. this trip was my first visit.

Sure, it's hot (100 + degrees) but what's a lake for anyway? [emoticon] From Memorial Day weekend into September, Lone Rock is like the Jersey shore - LOTS of folks having fun, especially weekends. What is great about Lake Powell is that it is massive with over 1300 miles of shoreline. There are inlets, side canyons, and bays galore to poke around in - don't forget the water toys!

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/09 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pjay9 wrote:

That is so cool! HOT! What size boat can be launched (see my pic below)? Capt PJ

Lone Rock is a great place to camp and play but Lake Powell is huge and has many marinas. I've seen 60' houseboats being launched at Bulfrog. Lake Powell is very different from our green northwest. That makes it very special to me.

Utah.com

By the way that bicyclist in the upper picture is looking out over Flaming Gorge reservoir in North Eastern Utah. Another wonderful vacation spot.

* This post was edited 05/23/09 09:26am by an administrator/moderator *

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/09 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I mean from the beach where you were camping? I do realize that there are marinas and ramps...I am talking no ramp beach launch. Would you suggest it be a 4x4 also? Is the beach a gentle slope or does it drop off? Is there any marinas that may be close to this boondocking beach you were at? THX. Capt PJ

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/09 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pjay9 wrote:

Is there any marinas that may be close to this boondocking beach you were at?

Click on the map thumbnail for a better look at the area - Wahweap Marina is just southeast of Lone Rock - very easy to get in and out.

[image]

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/09 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pjay9 wrote:

I mean from the beach where you were camping? I do realize that there are marinas and ramps...I am talking no ramp beach launch. Would you suggest it be a 4x4 also? Is the beach a gentle slope or does it drop off? Is there any marinas that may be close to this boondocking beach you were at? THX. Capt PJ

Capt. PJ, for me it would be iffy to launch at Lone Rock. It's a very gentle slope and you'd have to go too far "in" to float the boat. You would probably get stuck. You could always check it out yourself before going to Wahweap. The farther to the "left" of the beach the harder the ground. If you had a 12 ft. aluminum with a small outboard maybe. The folks I see launching have small boats and trucks or SUVs. Like Seldom said, Wahweap is close. Drop the boat, have the wife motor the boat up to the beach while you drive the highway to Lone Rock and set up camp. That's what we always did. OR, you drive the boat and beach it and walk up the beach to the hard pack where the wife is waiting. No wife? Then maybe a hitch on the front and you could launch your boat at the beach. During "high season" you'd be lucky to get to the water however. It's quite the zoo. In Sept. it starts to slow down a tad, but not much. Oct. is best, as is April and May. At least in Oct. the water is still warm from the summer warming. Spring will be chilly from the winter runoff. Good luck Sir, if you go.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> lonerock campground UT trip report
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.