RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Outfitter trip report: Houses of the Holy with the Farctics

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outfitter trip report: Houses of the Holy with the Farctics

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/09 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whazoo wrote:

Finally making the grade, we take...more pictures. With the Hwy 95 cut through the "Comb" visible in the distance. Ghosts of Edward Abbey are dancing thru my head as I speak, er, type. Did you catch that Seldom Seen Smith?

Not only did I catch it, but I am three shades darker than emerald green with envy. Truly fantastic and as always very ahem, creatively written [emoticon]. Unfortunately I am going to have to block your posts from here on out as reading them severely aggravates my occupational myopia (the condition where I can't see going to work anymore). I have a pretty good idea of where you were but don't worry, your secret is safe with me.

On a side note, since you were on Comb Ridge did you visit the recently discovered tomb of that other famous southern Utah wanderer, Everett Ruess? I have always felt a kinship with that young man, and wished I had the wherewithal to leave it all behind and dedicate my life to exploring as he did.

God, how the wild calls to me.
There can be no other life for me but that of the lone wanderer.
It has an irresistible fascination.
The lone trail is the best for me.
- Everett Ruess

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/09 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for yet another wonderful trip report. Any length, with captions anyplace you please, just keep them coming.

WTFAWE

SW, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/09 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whazoo wrote:
But we are headed for that road over on Comb Ridge.
And what a road that was to be. Or not to be. That was the question.

seldomseensmith wrote:

On a side note, since you were on Comb Ridge did you visit the recently discovered tomb of that other famous southern Utah wanderer, Everett Ruess? I have always felt a kinship with that young man, and wished I had the wherewithal to leave it all behind and dedicate my life to exploring as he did.

God, how the wild calls to me.
There can be no other life for me but that of the lone wanderer.
It has an irresistible fascination.
The lone trail is the best for me.
- Everett Ruess

Another great trip report!

Those roads always call my name, and we have eyeballed that road over on Comb Ridge in past. Now I know what to expect.

Did you feel like you were traveling along with Everett Ruess?

* This post was last edited 05/07/09 05:34pm by WTFAWE *   View edit history

2002 Tundra,Firestone airbags, Tork-lifts, Hapi-jac's. 2000 North Star TC700

fuelhauler

Southern Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/09 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing Dave. It's great to see places that aren't handicapped accesable, for people like me. Well mentally anyways. That 2nd video gave me vertago just watching your camper rock back & forth. Do you think my Dually would make it down to those ruins, so I wouldn't have to get out of my truck?

2005 Dodge q/c 4x4 dually six speed pac brake
2014 Arctic Fox 990
2014 16' smokercraft

Joners

Idaho Falls, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/09 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi whazoo!
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great trip with some fun people. Wonderful photography and videos.
Joners

1996 Chevy K1500 4X4 Short Box, 5.7L Vortec, E rated tires, Lance Model 820 with Cabover Struts, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags, KYB MonoMax Shocks, Torklift Stable Loads, Happijac Truck Camper Tiedowns and Turnbuckles, Honda Eu2000i Inverter/Generator.

magic43

Brookhaven, Ms.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/09 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting another great trip. The videos show just how rough the roads really were.

magic43

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/09 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

seldomseensmith wrote:

Unfortunately I am going to have to block your posts from here on out as reading them severely aggravates my occupational myopia (the condition where I can't see going to work anymore).

Haha there Seldom, I'm with ya on that one. Got anal glaucoma myself. (Can't see my a$$ going to work) No cure in sight! And thanks to a heads up from another member here, WTFAWE, I did read about his discovery. How fascinating...for us, not poor Everett. When you decide to leave it all behind, I'll tag along!

Hello Everyone...DON'T, DON'T, DON'T STOP! Your replies are worth gold, more than my reports will ever be. I'm fortunate to know so many great, genuine people here, not to mention comic geniuses, and I'm from Arizona[emoticon]. Now-a-days, when I camp, I feel as if I do indeed have a bunch of friends with. Maybe some day in person. I'm thinking of a "Whaz Fest" somewhere in time, maybe up on "The Bluffs." And Cal, you great guy you, I might believe you...in about a hundred years. Right now any talent is dubious, as well as hidden from sight. Well...I do tell a good joke about a 3 legged elephant with 1 ear.[emoticon]

MadNorsky, otherwise known as "Chief", your cover is blown, as well as mine. Although I do still have my 6 finger gun at hand. (was that a pun?) Actually,haha, I did have one. My folks would tell you so. What does that say about me? Thank you SOOO MUCH for that article. It says so much about the Anasazi and the exact things I've wondered about. I no longer need to finish my time machine, unless I get bored. Fantastic reading, absolutely.

Silver ol Friend. I've not invented a thing. You Sir, are the inventor, when you invent all these wonderful things to say...about all of us. I will nominate you RVNET Ambassador of Good Will when the vote comes up. Unless that is, you'd like to be President. I'll nominate you for that too.

So long folks, that's all from me, unless Farctic shows up with some tall tales. I'm thinking he's out of reach temporarily...again. He's getting into that "off the grid" thing.[emoticon]
[image]

* This post was edited 05/07/09 07:14pm by whazoo *

familytimes

Chelmsford MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/09 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pictures.. thanks for the report.

Thank you for taking care of the Fartics... we miss them. The spring rally won't be the same without them.

Ted and Cheryl.. enjoy your trip, but you will be missed next week.

Thanks for sharing your photos with all us non-retired people.

Miss you,
Jayne and Rob

SUPERBASH

Long Island NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/09 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very Cool ! Awesome Post ! [emoticon]

2009 DODGE RAM2500 HEAVYDUTY 4X4 SLT QUADCAB SHORTBED BIGHORN EDITION 5.7 LITER HEMI
2009 STARCRAFT 800HS TRUCKCAMPER

-Pacbrake AirBags
-SuperSprings
-HappiJac TieDown System w/ QuickLoad Turnbuckles
-TorkLift GlowSteps
-Curt FrontMount Hitch

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/09 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I finally figured out Whazoo. He used to work for Control with Maxwell Smart-some of Max's old phrases rubbed off on him;

Quote: Farctic threw his truck about with reckless abandon. Would you believe just reckless? End Quote.[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

Yep, he's dropped through that old phone booth one time too many I think. [emoticon]

As always, well photographed, written, arranged, and a joy to read.

Dave, here's a link to an article about the Hopi. Seems they wandered around quite a bit, with their ruins scattered about all over the southwest: Link: Wanderers of the Fourth World

* This post was edited 05/07/09 05:51pm by The Mad Norsky *

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outfitter trip report: Houses of the Holy with the Farctics
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.